Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia E61

• 28-08-2006 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

Hi there just wondering has anyone got of of these phones? Im thinking of buying one of these or would I bet better of getting a Smart phone with MS OS on it?

Is there any way of loading SKYPE onto the E61 ??

What other phones would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

tech wrote:
    Hi there just wondering has anyone got of of these phones? Im thinking of buying one of these or would I bet better of getting a Smart phone with MS OS on it?

Is there any way of loading SKYPE onto the E61 ??

What other phones would you recommend?

It is a Smartphone, running Symbian OS.

Currently no Symbian Skype client exists, but is is rumoured one is to appear very soon.

The E61 will allow you to connect to any local SIP server for VoIP calls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

ok whats SIP ?? im afraid im not fimiliar with that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I have an E61 about 3 weeks now, great phone with push email service, especially syncing the calendar with Exchange. SIP servers are basically VOIP carriers like blueface or voipcheap, however while the E61 does support this I haven't been able to get it working with any Irish SIP provider or VOIPCheap.

The current firmware version also doesn't support NAT so you need to be behind any firewall if you want to connect to a SIP server.

Great phone, however Vodafone are releasing the E50 and E70 in the next coming weeks which are smaller.

would you recommend this phone or do you think I should wait for the E 70 or e50, does it cost much to recieve mail on these??

do the mails just arrive like txt message?

what other features do you use on the E61?

Id love to get Skype working if I get it but there is no version suitable for the OS 60 yet :(
    irish1 wrote:
    I have an E61 about 3 weeks now, great phone with push email service, especially syncing the calendar with Exchange. SIP servers are basically VOIP carriers like blueface or voipcheap, however while the E61 does support this I haven't been able to get it working with any Irish SIP provider or VOIPCheap.

The current firmware version also doesn't support NAT so you need to be behind any firewall if you want to connect to a SIP server.

Great phone, however Vodafone are releasing the E50 and E70 in the next coming weeks which are smaller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

I got my E61 working with freespeech.ie using the information here:

http://www.nokme.com/e61-voip-sip-setup-with-pbxes-and-gizmo-17.html

Emails appear in their own dedicated folder called Mail for Exchange

• Advertisement

How do you find the battery on these? I've hard there are not the best, I would be using 3-4 hrs a day on calls would the battery be able to last this out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Battery on E61 is very good. I have had one for about 2 months and I use the wifi for about 1+ hours each night (mail and net) as well as pretty intensive phone call use during the day. I usually watch about 40 mins of tv per day on it also on my commute
    Usually charge every 2-3 days or so which I consider good given the use it gets. Wifi management is very efficent on this device.

Delighted to see you got the SIP working skearon
    Will have to give this a go tomorrow!
    Best convergence phone / sync gadget I've used in a while and (sadly) I've used quite a lot! :)
    Hope this helps!

this sounds like the way to go so then, vodafone are doing a 79euro a month deal

400 minutes to any network,
    Vodafone to vodafone calls are free

and you get free unlimited e-mail push mail
    and 50mb of 3G data either on the phone or using it as a 3G modem for your laptop

not a bad deal

Advertisement