Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you're blue

Options
  • 29-08-2006 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭

Having a bit of a rough spot these days and feeling blue.
    Being that it is the end of August, I got out Counting Crowes "August and Everything After" and played it at top volume today. Seemed appropriate.

So what do you listen to when you're blue? Something to cheer you up? Or something to console your mood?

Just curious.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Public Enemy. Anything with a hard pulse that keeps your blood moving. I hate sadness, its the WORST feeling and find sad music just keeps you stuck there. Counting Crowes just make me naseous.

Avoid anything like Leonard Cohen. Thats music to kill yourself by.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I play really depressing music, which makes me feel worse...oh well.

EDIT: I suppose if I want to kill myself I could put on Mr. Brightside - The Killers...
    The lyrics don't go down to well with my happiness levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Would you believe nothin makes me smile like sugarhill gangs "rappers delight"?? dunno if its the beat or what but it works for me, that or free's "all right now" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Depends if I want to feel better or not.

Bif Naked-I Love Myself Today
    or
    The Verve-Drugs Don't Work. *sobs*

Ruu wrote:
    Depends if I want to feel better or not.

I often wonder if people like feeling sad on purpose by doing this to themselves.

The other day I found myself spilling a tear over a Christina Aguilera song we used in dance [Hurt - from her new release] and I kept listening to it. I wasnt sure if was therapeutic or masochistic until I realised the song was reminding me of someone who used to make me feel sad and my repeated listening to it was an attempt to reconnect with that person.And Im not even an Aguilera fan.

I dont want to get psychoanalytic but Ive often wondered about why we listen to sad songs when we are down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Because the last thing you wanna hear when you're down is other people singing about how happy they bloody well are.

Smashing Pumpkins - Bodies/Medellia of the Grey Skies

Lol. A case of misery loves company?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Yes, I did need to shed a tear or two before I can move forward. Music does help to do that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Lol. A case of misery loves company?
    Indeed, it is. I can't listen to happy music when I am like that and if I do, I twist it to something depressing, oh well.
    Feeling good is now a really depressing song for me, hah...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I usually listen to Martyr/Self Immolation by Fear Factory or a Cannibal Corpse album, id rather angry music when im feeling blue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Seven Mary Three's Cumbersom is another good one to drag you through the funk.

But today, I've got on Van Morrison and it's chasing the blues away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

anything by nick drake, sigur ros etc. more specifically, gorecki's synphony no 3 "symphony of sorrowful songs".

For what it's worth, I was checking on amazon and it has received 5 stars out of 5 after nearly 100 user reviews. Avilable at all good music shops for under a tenner.

conversely, I may listen to happy music e.g. sebastien tellier or phoenix etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Codeine - Frigid Stars .. my favourite album for feeling crap to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Air - Playground Love
    Radiohead - Exit Music(For a film)

Those two songs really make me feel down.
    Now if I wanted to cheer myself up:

ELO - Mr Blue Sky
    The Pixies - Here comes your man

Those 4 songs REALLY affect my mood

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Most of the tracks on the Smashing Pumpkins' Adore album is great for being depressed to. I like to Aphex Twin's ambient stuff if I wanna listen to some 'dark' music. Post rock, like Mogwai or Explosions in the Sky, is generally slow and can be depressing if you want it to be. Then there's the obvious stuff like Radiohead, Leonard Cohen, 'The End' by The Doors, so on...

Advertisement