Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do you want in by Thursday?

Options
  • 29-08-2006 5:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

With the transfer window ending on thursday what players would you like to see come into the club(or indeed get rid off)? I think downing is way overpriced after a decent world cup and I think the 6 mil plus wigan are looking for chimbonda who they got for 500,000 a year ago is ridculous, I also think mido is risky as a forth choice striker but he would be a great addition if jol could keep him quiet. With that in mind Id like to see martin petrov, lucas neil and ben arfa come in. It would be nice to get a decent centre half also but I cant think of anyone realistic who would do a better job than what we have. Huddlestone needs to get a few more chances and Id like to see tainio play a bit in the centre. Jenas is decent enough but he is so inconsistent and has no concentration. If we could get baptista I would be a serious happy man and along with the other names I mentioned would make up for losing carrick and duff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I do not want Neill, thats for sure...:mad:

We've had our era of Tariccos and Edinburghs, I don't want another hardman at RB who's gonna be a liability. May as well get Ben Thatcher back in on the left.

I'll be disappointed if we re-sign Mido, I don't think he'll work hard enough and its money I'd rather we spent on a CB or LW. Barnard deserves his chance in the squad anyway.

I've never thought that much of Downing, so anything more than £10m would be daylight robbery. That said, I don't know too much about Petrov or Ben Arfa so I can't say if they'll be any use.

I just want us to spend whats needed to address the deficencies in the squad, whatever that amount is. And the bloody window to close...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I wouldn't be mad on bringing in Neill either, too much of a liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I want to see Ben Arfa, M. Petrov, Mido, Chimbonda, Malbranque & Baptista. I would like some better cover at CB as well.

Rumours are that Chimbonda is back on.
    We have offered Murphy in exchange for Malbranque.
    Ben Arfa is done.
    Petrov deal is dead.
    We have a bid on the table for Baptista.
    Mido is done.
    Y.P Lee is going to Roma as part of the Mido deal.
    Tony Gardner might be going to Charlton.
    B. Zenden, Kewell or Kromkamp is supposedly having a medical at WHL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

Mido is confirmed by the spurs website.
    Rumours are that Chimbonda is back on.
    We have offered Murphy in exchange for Malbranque.
    Ben Arfa is done.
    Petrov deal is dead.
    We have a bid on the table for Baptista.
    Y.P Lee is going to Roma as part of the Mido deal.
    Tony Gardner might be going to Charlton.
    B. Zenden is supposedly having a medical at WHL.

pretty much sumaries the rumours around

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

To be honest I think I'd like Petrov, but that's going on what other people have said about him. Downing I'd like, but whether he's what we're looking for I can't say. Not exactly quick, but a good passer/crosser. Now that Mido is back we really only need that left winger, and maybe a backup centre-half and RB/LB. So only 1/3 of a team hehe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Yep Mido is back

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/midoreturns290806.html

Will be a useful back-up as long as he doesn't moan and stay fit :)

If Lee's gone as part of the Mido deal a RB is essential!! Stalteri cost us far too many points last year. Malbranque would be decent for LW but I would perhaps have rathered one of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

One of the main ITK's (he got Mido right, as well as Duff to Newcastle) is saying Lee to Roma and Chimbonda to us. That'd be a decent enough upgrade. I liked Stalteri, but yes he did cost us too many points last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Updated Rumours from COYS!

Official
    MIDO!!
    In
    Petrov - Back on again???
    Ben Arfa - Not happening????
    Chimbinda -Done
    Baptista - Bid on table / personal terms may be the issue.
    Zenden - Medical??
    Malbranque - Done

Out
    Routledge - For SM
    Murphy - For SM
    Downing - off the menu.

if Lee goes, who are we going to have as cover at LB and RB ? I wouldn't like to put all my eggs in one basket with Stalteri ...:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

zenden?

thats one i wouldnt have seen....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Robxxx7 wrote:
    if Lee goes, who are we going to have as cover at LB and RB ? I wouldn't like to put all my eggs in one basket with Stalteri ...:eek:

I agree, I think Lee is decent cover for the wing back positions. He might not be the greatest tackler in the world but hes great at getting forward and can be a real thorn in the side of opposing teams. He would be a loss imo, Delighted to get rid of murphy though(why did we sell brown and buy him?). I think we can forget about Downing with both sides acting extremely unprofessionally in that deal and Im not sure about Zenden and malbraunque. If the team looked like this at the come saturday Id be a very happy man though:

Robinson

Chimbonda King Dawson Ekotto

Lennon Zokoro Baptista Petrov

Berbatov Keane/Defoe

with Lee providing cover for the wing backs. Ben arfa,Tainio and Huddlestone providing cover for midfield and mido for the forward position.Add a decent centre half and we'd be laughing. Might be a bit optimistic but that would be a strong side.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The Treeman's met Malbranque already, says he's having a medical at 7 this evening, and Murphy's on the way to Fulham in part exchange.

Which begs the question, why bother buying Murphy in the first place???

:mad:

its all fun and games a the end of the window for spurs.

losing lee isnt bad, as long as we get in chimbonda. ziegler is compendent cover for the left and stalt will do for cover for the right, gardner also plays on the left.

getting rid of murphy and routledge is good news. steed has the creativity we have lacked and petrov/ben arfa/zenden will cover the left side problem. i very much doubt we had any real interest in downing, jol wouldnt jepodise the deal by coming out and saying what he did. getting baptista in would be nice but i imagine its another morientes episode

we are sorted for strikers now.

I had forgotten all about Zeigler :D

You have put a very positive spin on things, and can see all the movement (if it all comes off) as being all good ..

One thing to remember is that Malbranque is suffering a groin injury at the moment and requires surgery ..so he could be out for 3 weeks,,

It looks like that word is Harry Kewell maybe a candidate for a move to Spurs. He has a sweet left foot, but fitness and attitude could be a bit worrying .... although if he is cheap enough maybe worth a gamble

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Howdy all

A summary

Almost certainly in
    1) Malbranque was at the Spurs Lodge last night and is signed - due to be announced today.
    2) Chimbonda is being negotiated and could also be announced today.

Rumours
    Apparently both Kewell and Zenden are having medicals (doubt this)
    There are continuous rumours about one of the Real Madrid rejects - Bapista, and Robinho. Not sure these will materialise.

Almost certainly out
    On the way out, Murphy, YP Lee and Routledge (on loan to Fulham).

Rumours
    Rumours about transfers out, Defoe and Gardner - the latter being more likely but we have little cover.

papers today say defoe may be the subject of 9m£ bid from villa of all people.

wouldnt be too disappointed if he went, but you never know.

i would love to see how mido and berbatov up front and keane dropping into the hole would play. i think that would be exciting.

dont think we are going to sell our strikers now, not after jol said yesterday that our striking options are complete.

STG 16.5m for baptista, the beast. conflicting reports atm, one saying he is having a medical another saying he is staying and doesnt want to come.

neill is off to liverpool, and lee in the other direction in the mido deal must therefore mean chimbonda is done/near done.

petrov is apparently a no go as levy doesnt want to spend EUR 9 mil on another eastern european with no sell on value. so lets hope we get ben arfa/zenden

Lee Young-pyo to stay with Spurs: agent

SEOUL, Aug. 30 (Yonhap) -- South Korean player Lee Young-pyo of Tottenham Hotspur has decided to stay with his English football club, scrapping what his agents were one day earlier calling a "nearly sealed" contract for his transfer to Italy's AS Roma, the agents said Wednesday.

"We held negotiations with AS Roma and neared the final stages of a deal, but the signing of the deal was called off for personal reasons of Lee Young-pyo," said an official at the Global Sports and Entertainment Network (GSEN).

i think he is too small to be competitive in the premiership, hopefully we will still get chimbonda

• Advertisement

sikes wrote:
    dont think we are going to sell our strikers now, not after jol said yesterday that our striking options are complete.

STG 16.5m for baptista, the beast. conflicting reports atm, one saying he is having a medical another saying he is staying and doesnt want to come.

If we were to sign Baptista who can also play striker as well as midfield that could also mean Defoe could go.

I'd be happy to see Lee staying, he could fit in as RB or LB and gives us some options in both positions, he may not be the strongest of players physically but he puts in a lot of running and effort up and down the wing.

There are plenty of rumours still flying about...but as always Spurs always seem to be at the root of it all at the end of transfer deadlines ... its never plain sailing being a spurs fan ..

id rather see lee play at lb than gardner tbh.

i wish we'd just sell him. or give him away. or something.

Advertisement