Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lunatic drivers (merged)

• 29-08-2006 9:05am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just wanted to ask if there's anyone in particular in the gards who I can contact about an complete idiot of a driver that I see regularly on the M50 and southside suburbs driving his car like lunatic.

I have seen him undertake cars who are in the overtaking lane (and doing 120km) because there's a truck ahead in the slow lane. He shoots down the slow lane and emerges in front of the cars just in time to miss the truck and them. He always goes in the wrong lane on a particular roundabout and has to force his way in a the last moment. Speeding well in excess of the 120 limit on the M50 is his daily routine.

I contacted the local gards with car type, reg etc. but they weren't really bothered...

This guy is going to kill himself and others some day, but there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to try and stop it? :mad:

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cue posts about cars drvin in the overtaking lane when they need not be, a debate about undertaking in traffic, gardai not caring, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Try the traffic watch number and explain the guy is a repeat offender. May get a response, may not. The number escapes me at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

The Garda Traffic Line is 1890 205 805

S

Isn't the traffic watch number like that phone in the Carlsberg Customer Complaints

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

kbannon wrote:
    Cue posts about cars drvin in the overtaking lane when they need not be, a debate about undertaking in traffic, gardai not caring, etc.

Ok I mustn't have explained myself very well. The cars were in the overtaking lane to over take a truck. Not-so-boy racer shot down the inside lane and undertook these cars and then at the last moment, just before he plows into the back of the truck he pulls out in front of the cars in the overtaking lane and they have to brake to allow him the space.

BTW with undertaking, a courier we use in work was done for contributory negligence when a car hit him as his was undertaking it. i.e. it's illegal and stupid!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

Dyflin wrote:
    The cars were in the overtaking lane to over take a truck. Not-so-boy racer shot down the inside lane and undertook these cars and then at the last moment, just before he plows into the back of the truck he pulls out in front of the cars in the overtaking lane and they have to brake to allow him the space.
    Sounds to me like they were hogging the outside lane and he was just trying to make progress....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

fletch wrote:
    Sounds to me like they were hogging the outside lane and he was just trying to make progress....

You can troll all you like, I ain't taking the bait...

Dyflin wrote:
    Sorry wasn't trolling....merely an observation. In reality though, its one persons word against the other, why are the police going to believe one person over another?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

It is annoying, especially if it is the same car doing the same crap regularly.

I drive past the Lyons Estate at the abck of Newcastle every morning, and am regularly passed by a Cretin in a Black Ford Sierra. It is a 80Km/h limit, it is a narrow road with a 8' stone wall immediately along the road side. This gob****e has passed 4 or 5 cars, (who are going at or above the limit), and he would be easily driving in excess of 120km/h. And he does not seem to take adverse weather conditions into account. Grade 'A' future statistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Dyflin wrote:

He is correct though.

There is no law against driving in the driving lane and then indicating right to overtake a truck and then moving back into the driving lane after the truck and the manouver is completed.

Just because you are sitting like a chump in a queue doing 80kmph in the overtaking lane does not mean that somebody doing 120kmph in the normal driving lane is doing something illegal.

L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭samo

prospect wrote:
    It is annoying, especially if it is the same car doing the same crap regularly.

I drive past the Lyons Estate at the abck of Newcastle every morning, and am regularly passed by a Cretin in a Black Ford Sierra. It is a 80Km/h limit, it is a narrow road with a 8' stone wall immediately along the road side. This gob****e has passed 4 or 5 cars, (who are going at or above the limit), and he would be easily driving in excess of 120km/h. And he does not seem to take adverse weather conditions into account. Grade 'A' future statistic.

I know that road well, think I've seen the car your referring to as some idiot passed me out recently toward the humpbacked bridge just past Lyons and hit the bridge at the same speed without even slowing, god only knows what might have happened had someone been approaching at the same time from opposite direction.

nereid wrote:
    He is correct though.

There is no law against driving in the driving lane and then indicating right to overtake a truck and then moving back into the driving lane after the truck and the manouver is completed.

Just because you are sitting like a chump in a queue doing 80kmph in the overtaking lane does not mean that somebody doing 120kmph in the normal driving lane is doing something illegal.

L.

Eh hello? As I said, these cars were doing 120kph. He undertook them (as they were not driving slowly it was an illegal act), was speeding in the inside lane (also illegal) and then cut out in front of them thereby casuing them to brake to avoid collision (dangerous driving, guess what? illegal!!)

fletch wrote:
    Sorry wasn't trolling....merely an observation. In reality though, its one persons word against the other, why are the police going to believe one person over another?

That's why I want to report him, so that the gards can get out there and pick him up themsleves.

Dyflin wrote:
    Eh hello? As I said, these cars were doing 120kph. He undertook them (as they were not driving slowly it was an illegal act), was speeding in the inside lane (also illegal) and then cut out in front of them thereby casuing them to brake to avoid collision (dangerous driving, guess what? illegal!!)
    Sitting in the outside lane and not overtaking is also illegal. They may have been doing 120kph but that does not necessarily imply that they were all overtaking. If he was able to "fly" up the inside, then this implies to me that the cars in the outside lane were not in fact overtaking but sittin in a train of traffic. I know two wrongs don't make a right and all that, but if people didn't hog the outside lane then there would be no need for people to undertake.... [end rant] :)

Dyflin wrote:
    That's why I want to report him, so that the gards can get out there and pick him up themsleves.
    To be honest I cant really see the guards "staking out" this driver.....you could set up a camera on the front of your car and catch some photographic evidence although I'm not sure if this would be accepted in court?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Have people nothing better to do, get a hobby instead of wasting your life giving out about some guy that passes you each day on the M50. You can 'undertake' when there is slow moving traffic in the outside lane and faster moving traffic in the inside lane, I suspect the m50 is like this most mornings.

Ok, one more time for the peole down the back. When I said they were overtaking, they were overtaking!

They moved out in plenty of time, drove at the limit to get passed the obstuction as quickly as possible and then they moved back to the inside lane after they had passed the truck, is that acceptable driving practice?

This idiot drives a big red 2004 Alfa Romeo GT, so had plenty of horses to get him up the inside.

I'm not implying, second guessing or generalising. Simply stating the facts of this event.

fletch wrote:
    To be honest I cant really see the guards "staking out" this driver.....you could set up a camera on the front of your car and catch some photographic evidence although I'm not sure if this would be accepted in court?

I'm hardly going to go to the trouble and expense of doing that? This guy consistantly breaks the law by speeding (M50, not the end of the world) but it's the dangerous driving that puts other people (he drives this way off the motorway too) in danger and this is what I object too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Dyflin, What car does this guy drive and what time would he normallly be on the road at?

Red Alfa Romeo GT, 04 G 6XXX. Works in Dun Laoghaire and takes the M50 from at least Tallaght to Cherrywood, then down to Graduate Pub roundabout, on to Sallynoggin roundabout and then down to DL.

Is usually on this stretch of the M50 at about 0815

• Advertisement

Well id give him a pat on the back,. why dont you report all the other plebs on the motorway that are crawling along in the overtaking lane , switching lanes without looking in the mirror, others that dont know how to merge properly, let alone all the L plates i see on the m50 ...why not report them!

OOOOh he drives fast and has a bit of balls and a nice red alfa Gt
    ...jealousy???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

kbannon wrote:
    Isn't the traffic watch number like that phone in the Carlsberg Customer Complaints

i would hope your casting aspersions that the guards traffic watch line in not manned or taken seriously... "do you know this for a fact"?

it can only work if we make it work.

to the op...i would ring it and make your compliant

What a sad, sad person you are.

OK don't ring it, and don't make a complaint... instead come on here and whine and moan about it. That should sort it...
    or else you could give as much information as you legally can about the other driver in question and hope that you can start off a vigilante group to try and blow him off the road that way somebody else can sort out you problem...

brave man alright
    I think he was actually calling C_Breeze sad.....lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Squiggles - he wasn't commenting at you - check his post time and your post time!!!

i would hope your casting aspersions that the guards traffic watch line in not manned or taken seriously... "do you know this for a fact"?

I didn't cast any aspersions - I asked a question based on info that I have gotten from here that the line is usually unmanned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

C_Breeze wrote:
    Well id give him a pat on the back,. why dont you report all the other plebs on the motorway that are crawling along in the overtaking lane , switching lanes without looking in the mirror, others that dont know how to merge properly, let alone all the L plates i see on the m50 ...why not report them!

OOOOh he drives fast and has a bit of balls and a nice red alfa Gt
    ...jealousy???

Yet another prime example of C_Breeze trolling the Motors forum.
    Its almost expected now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Kersh

I see your point OP, I see a blue primera do the same regularly, weaving in and out of gaps, on the m50. On one occasion taking to the hard shoulder.
    This thread is typical of Boards - guy has genuine complaint/worry, and all he gets is high and mighty types telling him to get out of the fastlane.... how many times has the OP explained what was happening!! The gt driver is driving dangerously, over the speed limit on inside lane, then jumping in front causing cars to brake at 120kmh..... DANGEROUS... you all hear that.. DANGEROUS.
    The truck on the inside can be doing a max of 90 kmh, so no point in pulling in to slow lane anyway.

im not trolling , im just disagrreing with the post. I made a valid point. There are much worse examples of bad driving on the m50 than that , primarily people that cant actually drive properly.

I read these forums a lot , i only post when my point hasnt already been raised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 General_Zod

Hi Dyflin,

You should try ringing the Gardai (anonymously) tell them the story and threaten to take the law into your own hands if they don't do something about the jerk.

Recently on my road, where kids play, there were little boll!xes (local teens) in a car flying around the place, and doing handbrake turns etc...I went out and nicely asked them to give it up - they didn't.
    So I rang the cops and told them to get down here and sort it before a child gets killed. Guess what - they never showed, the gits kept at it all day.
    Next morning they started again, up and down the road at speed and handbraking. So I rang the Gardai again and said to come down and sort it out or I am taking a golf club to the car and occupants. 15 minutes later - blue flashing lights appeared.

Advertisement