Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lunatic drivers (merged)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Zod - be aware that even if you ring them anonomously, afaik they can still get your number and trace you if they really want to! Also, if you did take a golf club to these little gurriers (I doubt that you would; I think you just saw it as a way to get the Gardai there), you're the one who'd end up in trouble. Even the threat may be enough to get you grief.

C Breeze - I have to agree with those who refer to you as a troll; jealous of an Alfa???

OP - I think you would be right to report him, primarily because he does this regularly. However, you seem to know a lot about this driver; do you know him by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 General_Zod

Hi Fey

You are 100% correct - the threat was just for effect - and it worked.

It seems that in our society the criminal has greater protection than the law abiding members of society - therefore threatening the safety of a criminal will bring a more immediate response from the custodians of peace that we employ. (offtopic apologies)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

There is no law against driving in the driving lane and then indicating right to overtake a truck and then moving back into the driving lane after the truck and the manouver is completed.
    Not if the overtaking lane is full. Indicating doesn't confer a right of way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

....Indicating doesn't confer a right of way.

Buses obviously don't agree....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Buses obviously excepted. And taxis too. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Isn't it in the ROTR that you're supposed to let buses out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

kbannon wrote:
    I didn't cast any aspersions - I asked a question based on info that I have gotten from here that the line is usually unmanned

oh sorry, i partly guessed i was going to be wrong anyway...
    a good idea when asking a question is to put a "question mark(?)" after the question.

oh and this isn't off the topic... its reply to your post.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Fey! wrote:

OP - I think you would be right to report him, primarily because he does this regularly. However, you seem to know a lot about this driver; do you know him by any chance?

I have reported him to local cops in DL, but they said ring 999 the next time you see him braking the law (eh, while I'm doing 120kph on the M50???).

I know the car and where he works (unless he lives down the lane and works nights?) because we travel an identical route to our respective works and I meet him at different stages. If I knew the guy, I'd let him know what I thought of his driving, maybe he doesn't realise it's as bad as it is?

I wouldn't mind, but who wants to rush to work???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

C_Breeze wrote:
    im not trolling , im just disagrreing with the post. I made a valid point. There are much worse examples of bad driving on the m50 than that , primarily people that cant actually drive properly.

I read these forums a lot , i only post when my point hasnt already been raised.

I thought your point was usually, I drive real fast, all you other people are losers. Go the speeders, forcing your way into a column of traffic moving at 120 isnt 'balls' its 'stupidity'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

*As I understand it*, the Alfa was behind a number of cars in the overtaking lane, travelling at 120 km/h. He then ducked into the inside lane to pass them, almost hit the truck on the inside lane and moved back into the overtaking lane, very close to the cars he'd just passed?
    He was therefore speeding, 'under'taking and driving without due care and attention. I'd call Traffic Watch if it was me

Del

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fey! wrote:
    Zod - be aware that even if you ring them anonomously, afaik they can still get your number and trace you if they really want to! Also, if you did take a golf club to these little gurriers (I doubt that you would; I think you just saw it as a way to get the Gardai there), you're the one who'd end up in trouble. Even the threat may be enough to get you grief.

Your missing the point. Gardai hate paperwork so threatening criminal damage/GBH is a good way of getting the cops off thier arses. Its much quicker to shoo-off a bunch of teenagers then process several criminal charges! :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

*As I understand it*, the Alfa was behind a number of cars in the overtaking lane, travelling at 120 km/h. He then ducked into the inside lane to pass them, almost hit the truck on the inside lane and moved back into the overtaking lane, very close to the cars he'd just passed?
    He was therefore speeding, 'under'taking and driving without due care and attention. I'd call Traffic Watch if it was me

Del

Surely someone could ring that number and say they saw X speeding on a road that X travels on every day home from work.
    That someone might have something against X and never have driven a car in their life.
    Is the above not possible ?

_Brian_ wrote:
    Surely someone could ring that number and say they saw X speeding on a road that X travels on every day home from work.
    That someone might have something against X and never have driven a car in their life.
    Is the above not possible ?
    Of course it's possible...but it doesn't mean it's true in this case
    I've rung Traffic Watch before and the driver in question was not someone I knew or had a grudge against, just someone who was driving very erratically and could be a danger to others.

Del

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

Of course it's possible...but it doesn't mean it's true in this case
    I've rung Traffic Watch before and the driver in question was not someone I knew or had a grudge against, just someone who was driving very erratically and could be a danger to others.

Del
    Was anything done about it? Like what's stoppin the other guy denying it? And then it's one persons word against the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

fletch wrote:
    Was anything done about it? Like what's stoppin the other guy denying it? And then it's one persons word against the others.
    I would not be one persons word against anothers in this case. I don't think the op is looking for a prosecution to be taken against the guy on his word.

This guy seems to be a serial offender, the op is providing the cops with all the information they need to actually catch him driving dangerously.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

MrPudding wrote:
    I would not be one persons word against anothers in this case. I don't think the op is looking for a prosecution to be taken against the guy on his word.

This guy seems to be a serial offender, the op is providing the cops with all the information they need to actually catch him driving dangerously.

MrP
    Yeh but I really cannot see the gardai having the time/resources to sit outside this guys house and follow him.

fletch wrote:

Dunno if anything was done. The operator at Traffic Watch took the details and said they'd look into it. They didn't to call back to confirm *what* they'd done.
    I always assumed that Traffic Watch was confidential like Crimestoppers...

Del

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

tbh it sounds like you're stalking this guy.... just ignore him and stop following him. If I found out someone fella been following me and knew where I work, where I come from, the times I'm on the road I'd probaby take out a restraining order, or a baseball bat!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Wickedcat

eh?..you've met one of the kings of the road! these guys woould really piss you up.nonetheless, if luck won't be good to them..pretty soon they'll be taking their own dose of medicine..:D just wait & see.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Conar

From the OP's description I would agree that the guy was wrong in this situation.
    Perhaps he didn't mean it to be so dodgy though.

I am actually quite prone to undertaking myself. I can't stand sitting behind 3 or 4 cars in the overtaking lane doing 115-119km/h while there is plenty of room in the driving lane and traffic moving at the same speed.
    I find that a lot of the time though when I have checked that all looks safe and go for the undertaking manouver that the guy up front spots me and puts the boot down.
    Maybe this happened and the driver was caught off guard so the guy up front ended up having to jam on to counteract the craziness he helped create.
    Its a possibility.

I understand people having issues with undertakers etc but really at the end of the day the sensible thing to do is stay out of their way (use the overtaking lane only when necessary and move in instantly) so they do not cause you any harm, and report them if you feel they are committing a crime.
    Also you should try not to tak it so personally when people do silly things on the road, as it distracts you and a ditracted driver is a bad driver.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

mike65 wrote:
    Your missing the point. Gardai hate paperwork so threatening criminal damage/GBH is a good way of getting the cops off thier arses. Its much quicker to shoo-off a bunch of teenagers then process several criminal charges! :)

Mike.

you could simplify that to " Gardai hate work"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,993 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Fey! wrote:
    Isn't it in the ROTR that you're supposed to let buses out?
    I think it is "should" let the buses out not "must", e.g. you are not obliged to, it is just a suggested courtesy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The operator at Traffic Watch took the details and said they'd look into it. They didn't to call back to confirm *what* they'd done.
    I always assumed that Traffic Watch was confidential like Crimestoppers...
    When you phone TrafficWatch they put the details into PULSE. They then contact the appropriate local Garda station who should call you back. This is where I find inconsistency - I've been rung back within 30 mins and other times not called for over 2 weeks.

Things have improved within the last two weeks (coincidentally right after I wrote to the Assistant Commissioner complaining about the lack of callbacks!). It is now answered very quickly - the automated 'Which county?' question and the 'Sorry we're too busy, call back later' messages are gone. A TW operator told me that the call centre was recently moved from Cork to Castlebar. Maybe extra staff were added during the move.

WRT confidentiality, I suppose you can choose not to give your name. Once or twice I haven't been asked, though I've always insisted that my information be recorded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Give the Traffic Corp a buzz in Dublin Castle, ask to speak to the Sgt. in charge or an inspector if they're available.
    Give them all the details, and get their name.

Unfortunately with Irish laws, they could get this guy tomorrow, and you'll see him the next day, doing the same thing, in other countries the powers are there to suspend the licence untill the court date etc.

I was under the impression that Traffic Watch was being scrapped, as a lot of the incidents where Mr. A saw Mr. B, would Mr. A like to go to court and give evidence?, probably be called back for 2nd or third hearing over the next 6 months?? Eh, no thanks Garda.

Maybe if motorists didn't flash their lights to warn of speed traps etc. a few more idiots would be taken off the road????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭tensecyclist

would make me squirm with nervousness should i happen to drive alongside with him.:eek: i fear for their lives. especially so with teens! these group of people tend to be carefree and reckless!:confused:

mcguiver wrote:
    I was under the impression that Traffic Watch was being scrapped, as a lot of the incidents where Mr. A saw Mr. B, would Mr. A like to go to court and give evidence?, probably be called back for 2nd or third hearing over the next 6 months?? Eh, no thanks Garda.
    It certainly isn't being scrapped - recently they moved the call centre from Cork to Castlebar and added more staff to answer calls.
    Yes, going to court scares people but, at a minimum, the Gardai will issue a caution to the driver (visit them and inform them of the call). One idea for people ringing TrafficWatch is to tell that Garda that they will go to court if the driver is unapologetic when being cautioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

daymobrew wrote:
    One idea for people ringing TrafficWatch is to tell that Garda that they will go to court if the driver is unapologetic when being cautioned.

So the Garda make the decision to follow it up, and actually pay Mr X a visit with the intention of giving him an official caution.
    Mr X acts in a less then humbeled way ie "Yea ok Guard, ill take my caution but its a load of sh1te, That guy just has it in for me"

Then the garda can say, "Righteo MrX im afraid we dont think youre sorry enough, its court for you"

Is that what youre suggesting Daymobrew??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

fletch wrote:
    Sitting in the outside lane and not overtaking is also illegal. They may have been doing 120kph but that does not necessarily imply that they were all overtaking. If he was able to "fly" up the inside, then this implies to me that the cars in the outside lane were not in fact overtaking but sittin in a train of traffic. I know two wrongs don't make a right and all that, but if people didn't hog the outside lane then there would be no need for people to undertake.... [end rant] :)

so the cars who were doing 120kmh in the right hand lane were in ther wrong then????

the dude shouldn't have been undertaking in the first place if all the cars are doing 120kmh

Wazdakka wrote:
    Is that what youre suggesting Daymobrew??
    The decision about going to court is always mine. I am asking the Garda for an evaluation of the driver's attitude.

There are one or two cases that I've reported that I will definitely want to go to court about. Unfortunately the local Gardai have not gotten back to me about those TrafficWatch reports. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Debbio69

Dyflin wrote:
    I just wanted to ask if there's anyone in particular in the gards who I can contact about an complete idiot of a driver that I see regularly on the M50 and southside suburbs driving his car like lunatic.

I have seen him undertake cars who are in the overtaking lane (and doing 120km) because there's a truck ahead in the slow lane. He shoots down the slow lane and emerges in front of the cars just in time to miss the truck and them. He always goes in the wrong lane on a particular roundabout and has to force his way in a the last moment. Speeding well in excess of the 120 limit on the M50 is his daily routine.

I contacted the local gards with car type, reg etc. but they weren't really bothered...

This guy is going to kill himself and others some day, but there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to try and stop it? :mad:

Any thoughts?

The number I ring is 1890205805...... ive often used it

Advertisement