Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lunatic drivers (merged)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

miju wrote:
    so the cars who were doing 120kmh in the right hand lane were in ther wrong then????

That is where you are wrong.

If you are driving in the overtaking lane (no matter what the speed) and the normal driving lane on the left is vacant, you are obliged to drive in there according to the rules of the road.

In fact, the penalty points offence "Failure to drive on the left hand side of the road" could infer that the vehicle undertaking was actually in the right and everyone else was in the wrong - unless they were to be classed under "Driver found to be driving carelessly (introduced 4 June 2004)" but that is a matter of opinion and for the gardai to investigate further. On the other hand, those being undertaken, have no grounds for complaint as they are clearly in the wrong.
    miju wrote:
    the dude shouldn't have been undertaking in the first place if all the cars are doing 120kmh

Well, arguably with the variances in speedometer calibration it is quite concievable for one speedometer to read 120kmph and another to read 117kmph while both travelling at the same actual road speed.

Your point also falls down because it is not anyone's responsibility other than that of the Gardai and perhaps a few nominated others to enforce the laws of the country.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭sk8board

you boys need to take a trip out the M1 from the port tunnel to Balbriggin (or thereabouts).
    Why do the Nordie boys need to get home so quickly? Passing on inside, outside, 100mph plus on any given day is to be seen (its actually interesting to see, if i'm being honest!). I even once saw an Nordie reg S class Merc blasting up the HARd SHOULDER one evening during heaving Croke Park traffic returning home (we were doing 45-50, he was doing 70, and kicking all the grit onto the roofs of the cars! The guards were parked on the perch at Donabate turnoff, and gave chase.

Roll on cross border points.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I encountered one of these twats today on the M50 coincidentally also driving a glorified Fiat. Usuall story I was in a line of traffic in the overtaking lane passing slower moving traffic on the inside, he gave me the lights I moved in when I got the space and let him by. I then moved out again when he went past me , the other drivers in front of us were no so accomodating to him and he decided to try a couple of dangerous undertaking manouvers where there was no space to do so, he ended up behind me again. was it really worth his life and anyone else around him to get that car length in front only to end up behind me again?

I saw a what looked like a bad accident between Rathnew and the beehive. The complete engine appeared to be missing fom one of the cars yet the cockpit did not look to be too severly damaged. It was on the opposite carriagway so I only got a quick glance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I'm from just outside Tramore on the main tramore road and while driving the other day there were 3 cars behind me, the last being a mitsubishi coupe, something like the FTO only different back lights.. anyway it was a foreign reg car..

So anyway, was coming to the entrance of my parents place and pulled in on the hard shoulder to leave the traffic past before pulling across the road into my parents place.

All was good until and I was admiring the coupe when I witnessed what was an act of pure and utter lunacy.. the 3 cars passed me and then the guy in the coupe decided to under take the 2 cars in front of him, hitting about 100kph while driving on the hard shoulder, then he pulled back out into the lane, came up behind another car and undertook that on in the exact same manner..

I just sat there in pure shock and amazement.. couldnt believe it..

What sort of f*cking idiot pulls a stunt like that???? :mad:

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The Muppet wrote:
    was it really worth his life and anyone else around him to get that car length in front only to end up behind me again?

Driving down to Cork yesterday, I had a load of people perform all sorts of crazy **** to get around me (I was doing the speed limit plus a little bit but I guess they must have been incensed by the L-plates ;) ). One guy nearly had a head-on collision with a truck (Against temptation, I braked allowing him just enough space to squeeze back in front of me without being killed). Ironically enough, I arrived home around the same time as most of them (Caught up with them at towns etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

the last being a mitsubishi coupe, something like the FTO only different back lights.. anyway it was a foreign reg car..

That could be a Mitsubishi Eclipse, I've seen a red one going around with Lithuanian plates I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Madness, the standard of driving on the roads appears to be getting worse by the week. Its got to the stage that nearly everytime you take to the road you have to take evasive action because of some lunatic.

I live just 5 miles from work and had to avoid 3 collisions on the way home from work the other day All to do with meeting oncoming traffic on my side of the road two of the incidents on a continous white line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I had another d**khead undertake me at serious speed in a white integra type R the other day, the sooner the insurance companies clamp down on these guys the better. I know for a fact the insurance companies know that most of the Glanza turbos and Civic and Integra type R's are only insured as ordinary Glanza's and Civics etc. and when there's a claim the insurance either won't pay or the insurance is only 3rd party anyway and isn't investigated fully. If the insurance companies followed up what they're insuring there wouldn't be half the accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

junkyard wrote:
    I know for a fact the insurance companies know that most of the Glanza turbos and Civic and Integra type R's are only insured as ordinary Glanza's and Civics etc. and when there's a claim the insurance either won't pay or the insurance is only 3rd party anyway and isn't investigated fully. If the insurance companies followed up what they're insuring there wouldn't be half the accidents.

You are 100% correct. I know of a case where a local skanger decided to re-arrange his Toyota Levin with the help of a stone wall. Anyhow, when he put in his claim, he got the write off value for a normal toyota corolla (which he had it insured as). He thought it most unfair, and could'nt see the correlation between his paltry payout and the fact that he had'nt declared the car to be what it actually was when taking out his insurance.
    I dont know how he managed to get the car insured as a toyota corolla in the first place though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I was coming home from work on Friday and just coming off the M4 into Celbridge and this idiot turns out of a petrol station onto my side of the road and keeps coming. I stopped dead and jumped on the horn, he pulls back to his own side and just waves at me. f***ing w******.
    Debbio69 wrote:
    The number I ring is 1890205805...... ive often used it
    Is this the actual official number for reporting dangerous driving? I couldn't find one on the Garda website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

silas wrote:
    Is this the actual official number for reporting dangerous driving? I couldn't find one on the Garda website.
    It's at the bottom of the Safer Driving Tips page.

This thread is filled with people moaning about bad drivers, with very little followup. Please report the incidents to the TrafficWatch number. If you are really shocked by the incident, GO TO COURT! It's the only way to change things.

Advertisement