Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portland Park ?

Options
  • 29-08-2006 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Was messing around with google maps (link below) and was wondering about the huge area described as "Portland Park" - roughly between the Crescent Shopping Centre and Ballinacurra gardens. This area seems to be 7-8 times the size of the Peoples Park - was wondering whats in there ? Is it wasteland, farmland etc. Why is it called park? Is that just the name generally applied to this area? Could I walk my dogs there and have picnics on a stripey blanket ? Or is it full of angry farmers chasing people, knackers in vests with sticks and sunburn and rusty tin cans ?

http://local.google.com/maps?q=limerick,+ireland&ll=52.651395,-8.628731&spn=0.087062,0.324852&hl=en

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Jaysus, I dunno. Looking at the area from the railway crossing on St Nessans Rd, it looks like a field or a wasteland. But then I'm not from the area.

Google maps isn't the most reliable I'd say. Castletroy Golf Club is marked as "Castleroy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Yes, well Portland Park runs beside that river (splitting city and county, cant think of its name?!?!) In fact there is a walkway along the bank on a height, for the most part it could be considered wasteland as it hasnt been done up and remains in its natural state (for the most part) but is kinda pretty.
    Aside from the little pathway, there is also a driveway.. dirt track with stones if you will for cars, i dont know why its there, but sure why not.
    I walked it the other day outta curiousity, theres a second smaller stream that connects into the river which has several bridges crossing it, nice places to ponder the meanings of life.

There were few people in the place which was kinda nice, a few people walking there dogs and two kids fishing in the river... but in general it is very open and 90% of the time i could see no one around me.

When i was heading in, I had a feeling that it was a dangerous place, but after walking for a short bit i relaxed. I was telling a friend about it later when he stopped, and was surprised i had made it out... my original thoughts where right, the place is a haven for drug deals and 'other illegal acts', its so open aswell... anywho.. long story short, not the kind of place the guards check up on, not the kind of place you o when it getting dark!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

That 'river' is called Ballinacurra Creek. When we were kids, there used to be a 'riding' school at the back of the houses on Ballincurra Road, called Sony's and we used to go hacking up the river bank. Haven't been down there in over 30 yrs so don't know what's there now. I do know tho that the southern link road is going to be run along the length of the creek. Will find link and post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

LB6 wrote:
    to be honest, with all the development happening, i can see apartments and retail parks going in there when the tunnel is complete because there will be more cars going around that area, just wait and see..

• Advertisement

Don't doubt it for a second :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Great, after 30 years I find an undiscovered wilderness - acres of unspoilt land draped in natures finery - a mysterious land where tranquilty is seated amicably beside serenity.

- But when I finally arrive Harvey Norman is there with his feckin' measuring tape....

Advertisement