Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reality TV Star to get Ireland call up

• 29-08-2006 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Unison.ie wrote:
    Desperate Stan seeks his saviour for Ireland

This is Sean St Ledger, star of TV show 'Big Ron Manager', who could go from League Two to international football in two months

IRELAND manager Steve Staunton's desperate search for defensive cover has resulted in a last-minute dash to secure an Irish passport for reality television's latest bad boy - Preston North End's Sean St Ledger.

Staunton's fellow Dundalkman, Foreign Affairs minister Dermot Ahern, last night instructed embassy staff in London to expedite the issuing of a passport to St Ledger, once they were satisfied that the Birmingham-born player qualifies through his Carlow-born grandmother.

The 21-year-old will receive his Irish passport today and then fly to Dublin to link up with the Ireland squad ahead of Saturday's Euro 2008 qualifier against Germany in Stuttgart.

Staunton was tipped off about St Ledger's Irish roots and potential to be an international player by his former Aston Villa manager Ron Atkinson.

Documentary

The former Manchester United and Villa boss spotted him while filming his Sky One soccer documentary "Big Ron Manager".

"I was having dinner with Don Givens and asked him would Ireland be interested in Sean St Ledger?" explained Atkinson last night.

"Don said that if he qualified they would be interested so I then rang Steve and told him. He said they would have a look at him and I know that they then watched him in a couple of games.

"I spoke to Sean on Sunday and he told me he was on stand-by. He was chuffed with that."

St Ledger features prominently in the 'Big Ron Manager' programme, although he claims his character has been damaged by the show because he has been portrayed as a bad boy with a poor attitude in it.

He was drafted into the Ireland squad following the withdrawal of Birmingham City's Stephen Kelly with a calf injury.

Goalkeeper Paddy Kenny is also out of the game with a thigh injury and has been replaced by Barnsley's Nick Colgan.

St Ledger signed for Championship side Preston North End on July 7 for €225,000 from Peterborough and has now gone from League Two to international football in the space of two months.

But his selection will be another slap in the teeth for Leicester City skipper Paddy McCarthy who has once again been overlooked by Staunton.

The Irish boss decided last week to select Gary Doherty ahead of McCarthy after having both players watched and now he's gone for a player with only five Championship games under his belt.

The deciding factor in all of this appears to be discipline as St Ledger has only one yellow card from six games this season and Doherty has none while McCarthy, who picked up 12 yellows and two reds last season, has three from six games.

Seriously?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Two words...

F*ck. Sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Could of been worse, could of been Spiral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Alan Bennett
    Sean Dillon
    Graham Gartland
    Jason Gavin
    Barry Ferguson
    Colin Hawkins
    Stephen Gray

None of them are worth a look no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Stan's really going out of his way to appear like a clueless f*ckwit. Let's hope it's an ingenius ploy. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

This has to be a joke ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

**** that, I'm shouting for Germany.

Oh.. no...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I've never seen this guy play but he was training with our U21s back in February so this has been on a while. Very suprised he's called up for this match though.

"I was having dinner with Don Givens and asked him would Ireland be interested in Sean St Ledger?" explained Atkinson last night.

"Don said that if he qualified they would be interested so I then rang Steve and told him. He said they would have a look at him and I know that they then watched him in a couple of games.

Staunton's fellow Dundalkman, Foreign Affairs minister Dermot Ahern, last night instructed embassy staff in London to expedite the issuing of a passport to St Ledger, once they were satisfied that the Birmingham-born player qualifies through his Carlow-born grandmother.

If this is how Steve Staunton wants to recruit Irish players in the future then I'll gladly never watch another Ireland game again. Disgusting.

The granny rule is a joke anyway. Thsi fella has probably never been to this country before, now he will get a call up? Same applies for Clinton the Leprecaun and his ilk. Next we'll know there will be a fresh attempt to get Kevin Nolan.

The FAI are the biggest shower of muppets I have ever heard of.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote:
    The granny rule is a joke anyway. Thsi fella has probably never been to this country before, now he will get a call up? Same applies for Clinton the Leprecaun and his ilk. Next we'll know there will be a fresh attempt to get Kevin Nolan.

The FAI are the biggest shower of muppets I have ever heard of.
    Not to mention the fact that Staunton has probably either never seen or seen very little of St. Ledger.

Jokers of the highest order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Disgusting is right! :( Further adds to my continued increasing disdain towards the national team, may Stan never win a game in charge again.

gimmick wrote:
    Alan Bennett
    Sean Dillon
    Graham Gartland
    Jason Gavin
    Barry Ferguson
    Colin Hawkins
    Stephen Gray

None of them are worth a look no?

Pardon my ignorance, but who are these?

Unearthly wrote:

The pick of the eL centre backs, and Barry Ferguson of Bohs.

Pardon my ignorance, but who's Sean St. Ledger? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Unearthly wrote:

Professional Irish defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Unearthly wrote:

You've got to be kidding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Unearthly wrote:
    Jesus. :D The majority of Irish people don't support the EL but surely you've even heard of Jason Gavin? If you watched Champions league games on RTE you'd also no doubt know Bennett and Hawkins. Surely you'd watch the likes of Deportivo vs Shels or Cork v Red Star?

Nope, no interest in Eircom League clubs :(

Unearthly wrote:
    Interest in the national team though?

Unearthly wrote:

What do you have an interest in then? English lads that want a shot at international football instead of homegrown talent?

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Interest in the national team though?

Where do the players play their football?

Xavi6 wrote:
    What do you have an interest in then? English lads that want a shot at international football instead of homegrown talent?

I never said that

Are you looking for an argument?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Unearthly wrote:
    So Steve, how has the job of Ireland manager been for you?

Any comments on the recent humiliation to Holland? Why were the so called fringe players you played in that game not up for it?

Can you confirm or deny these stories about the call up for a reality television star?

Lads, I think it's great that our own national manager posts right here on boards.ie.

:rolleyes:

Unearthly wrote:

England, exactly the point.

The argument Gimmick was making is that every (Irish) central defender in the Eircom League has been overlooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Should have been Paddy McCarthy before any of those players anyway.

/edit or even Paul McShane.

Unearthly wrote:
    I never said that

Are you looking for an argument?

Arguing with ignorance is always fun. Why partake in a thread about the Irish national team when you've no clue about the clubs and players that make up the nation's league? I'm sure England wouldn't mind another fan.

Unearthly wrote:

Which players?

Without wanting to get into another eL vs the rest of the world article, this has to be the biggest embarrassment of a call up ever, even worse than that 16 year old who plays for Spurs u17s or something.

Fact is, irish football has limited options, so EVERY option should be explored. But every option is not being explored when a list of eL players I mentioned above arent even getting a sniff.

As I have said before, i find it humourous that people will be complaining about such a call up, yet are perfectly happy to watch the teenage player brain drain happen every year to the UK, in the hopes that the UK will nurture our players. Radical change is whats eeded, or else this country as a footballing nation is going nowhere.

Anything good on telly on saturday night?

Xavi6 wrote:
    Arguing with ignorance is always fun. Why partake in a thread about the Irish national team when you've no clue about the clubs and players that make up the nation's league? I'm sure England wouldn't mind another fan.

:D

Irelands best players play in the premiership, I follow the Premiership, simple as that.

As for you saying I why did I bother partake in this topic

Who are you to tell where I can or cannot post?

Oh and the cliched last line, very original

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/08/29/story274339.html
    Staunton makes two changes to squad for Stuttgart tie
    29/08/2006 - 09:09:43

Ireland manager Steve Staunton has been forced to make two changes to his squad for the upcoming Euro 2008 qualifier against Germany.

Goalkeeper Paddy Kenny and defender Stephen Kelly have both withdrawn from the squad through injury with just four days remaining to the Stuttgart showdown.

Barnsley keeper Nicky Colgan and Sean St Leger of Preston have been called up as replacements.

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote:
    Irelands best players play in the premiership, I follow the Premiership, simple as that.

I know I use this example every time but... where did Kevin Doyle play about 15 months ago??

Unearthly wrote:

That's exactly the problem with the national team. Too many people being ignorant towards our own league where the standard of players is now higher than most of the blow ins we get from the English leagues.

Only things is if he has Carlow roots he has to be sound! :D

This seems crazy, although I think I remember Villa been linked with him when he was at Peterborough United.

Unearthly wrote:

And you are happy with that? You are happy that we use the UK to develop our national team, when is arguable they cant even develop there own at the moment?

On a side note, what does reality TV have anything to do with this. Ron Atkinson manages Posh? And this guy plays for PNE???????

Well if we had the same facilities and personnel at the majority of EL clubs that Championship clubs have I'd be quite happy to see Irelands future stars develop here.

gimmick wrote:
    On a side note, what does reality TV have anything to do with this. Ron Atkinson manages Posh? And this guy plays for PNE???????

Yeah he used to play for Peterborough but moved to Preston in the summer. The documentary was shot at the end of last season.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I know I use this example every time but... where did Kevin Doyle play about 15 months ago??

Fair point, but he did move and went to the championship, now Premiership.....

Gimmick - No I'm not. I would love if every Irish player came from the Eircom League, but I said this before, that the FAI need to a plan to get the domestic leagues in a condition where it would be completely unnacceptable to ignore it.

I see a trend here. A pack mentality. I ask a question which I said myself was ignorant and "the pack" jump on me immediately, taking the piss that I am Staunton, saying I have no right to watch the International team, putting words into my mouth that I am all for English born players to be put into the team.

No need to be sooooo defensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

I disagree with the title of this thread. This isnt a reailty tv star as such. Its not some guy they pick up off the street. He is a pro footballer who was part of a fly on the wall style tv program. Also he now plays in the english first division. Which im sorry for all you LOI fans, which I am one of is about 2 steps higher then the EL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Here's my attempt at who "they" are - probably typcial of an Irish supporter who doesnt follow the EL.

Alan Bennett - Cork? Captain?
    Sean Dillon - no real clue
    Graham Gartland - heard the name before, but no idea who he is
    Jason Gavin - is this the guy who used to play for Boro? If yes, then I know him, but dunno who he plays for now.
    Barry Ferguson - never heard of him (this BF anyway!)
    Colin Hawkins - definitely the most famous name on the list, my instant thought is he plays for Shels, but something in the back of my mind says he was transferred to Bohs. Maybe I'm mixing it up with Crowe going the other way, so I'll stick with Shels.
    Stephen Gray - I would have guessed Shels full back, but as we're talking about CBs, presumably I'm wrong.

Never heard of Sean St Leger before today either though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Unearthly wrote:
    I would love if every Irish player came from the Eircom League, but I said this before, that the FAI need to a plan to get the domestic leagues in a condition where it would be completely unnacceptable to ignore it.
    But then you wouldn't know who any of them are.

Your comment
    Unearthly wrote:

Would seem to suggest, correct me if I'm wrong, that you only watch games with players you deem to be 'good enough'.

You seem to use this as a reason for your self confessed ignorance of eL players.

Now, if the game in Ireland is to improve it needs people like you to take an interest and come to games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm actually pretty shocked and dissapointed at this decision. Fair enough if it was a freiendly but for a competitive match?

Stan, at the time of his appointment did say, "I'm the Gaffer" about a million times as well as the fact that he would be willing to pursue players that weren't born in Ireland, but I didn't think by that he meant he would be trawling the lower leagues of England for "talent".

It would make you wonder whether or not Ron's recommendation was a cynical attempt to boost ratings of his TV show. If it was, The Gaffer is a fool for falling for it.

As I've said in previous threads, I'm gonna reserve judgement on The Gaffer until he's played a few competitive matches but so far it's not looking good.

• Advertisement

DaveH is right the title is misleading, this guy has started 5 games in the Championship thats one more than Stephen Elliot in the same division. I think the media might be overstating the Reality TV link

Unearthly wrote:

I see a trend here. A pack mentality. I ask a question which I said myself was ignorant and "the pack" jump on me immediately

I dont it as a pack, it was just most people replied more or less at the same time.
    DaveH wrote:
    Which im sorry for all you LOI fans, which I am one of is about 2 steps higher then the EL.

I disagree. I maintain that the top 3 eL clubs,a nd maybe Drogheda would survive comfortably playing in The Championship. Having seen Leyton orient quite a bit over the last few years, i am certain eL clubs are at a higher level than them, and having them play Swansea on saturady, I would hazard are better than both - and Swansea ghave ambitions of being a championship standard club. however, that is an argument for another day.

Does St Ledger get his game for PNE?

Here's my attempt at who "they" are - probably typcial of an Irish supporter who doesnt follow the EL.

Alan Bennett - Cork? Captain?
    Sean Dillon - no real clue
    Graham Gartland - heard the name before, but no idea who he is
    Jason Gavin - is this the guy who used to play for Boro? If yes, then I know him, but dunno who he plays for now.
    Barry Ferguson - never heard of him (this BF anyway!)
    Colin Hawkins - definitely the most famous name on the list, my instant thought is he plays for Shels, but something in the back of my mind says he was transferred to Bohs. Maybe I'm mixing it up with Crowe going the other way, so I'll stick with Shels.
    Stephen Gray - I would have guessed Shels full back, but as we're talking about CBs, presumably I'm wrong.

Never heard of Sean St Leger before today either though!

Lol good effort mate.

Alan Bennett - Cork City
    Sean Dillon - Ex Longford now with Shels. One of the league's most in form defenders. Quick.
    Graham Gartland - Drogheda United. Missed 2 penos in the shootout against IK Start.
    Jason Gavin - Ex Boro and Bradford. Now partnering Gartland at centre half for Drogheda.
    Barry Ferguson - Bohs captain. Probably the worst on this list.
    Colin Hawkins - Member of that great Irish under 20 team. Had a spell with Doncaster, now playing with Dillon at Shels. Ex Bohs.
    Stephen Gray - Another of the Drogheda brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I hadn't heard of this guy before this morning when I saw he'd been added to the squad so I'll reserve a 'Stan is an idiot I'm never supporting Ireland again' comment till I've actually seen him play. How many of you have? Stan has and maybe he saw something in him?

I'm not saying I agree with the call up (obviously as I haven't seen him play) and I am pretty surprised but I'm not going to automatically assume the worst. That said I don't like the look of this rush a passport through stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Before you use this as an example go ask Kevin Doyle how much he thinks he has developed as a player in the last fifteen months.

St Ledger banged in a super o.g. against Norwich the other week if that's any use....

But then you wouldn't know who any of them are.

????

The Quality would of improved greatly if every EL player was playing for Ireland.....

and yes of course I only watch football I deem good enough. Human nature, I want to see the best players in the world play a sport I like to watch. How is that wrong? It just so happens that alot of the Irish internationals play there aswell?

If its to improve, it has to start with the FAI to attract people to start watching it, what good is single old me gonna do by watching Eircom League from now on except vastly lowering the standard of football I watch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

You can add Kevin Doherty to the list of CB's. Id rate him higher than Gary Dockerty.

Before you use this as an example go ask Kevin Doyle how much he thinks he has developed as a player in the last fifteen months.

Ill go searching now to find Doyles interview after his first call up, and said something to the effect that "its only 5 months since my move from Cork City. If I am good enough now, i was good enough then.

Re Kev Doherty - If he could get out of the treatment room for more than a day at a time, I would agree.
    Unearthly wrote:
    The Quality would of improved greatly if every EL player was playing for Ireland.....

and yes of course I only watch football I deem good enough. Human nature, I want to see the best players in the world play a sport I like to watch. How is that wrong? It just so happens that alot of the Irish internationals play there aswell?

If its to improve, it has to start with the FAI to attract people to start watching it, what good is single old me gonna do by watching Eircom League from now on except vastly lowering the standard of football I watch?

Support La Liga then, or maybe Serie A, as the standard of football on show is far superior than the EPL.

With regard to lowering the standard of football you watch, well, check it out. If you would deem Blackburn Vs Chelsea as a game worth watching, then, I dont know waht to say. It was a horrific game, as was Liverpool Vs Sheff U the previous week, along with Man City vs Arsenal.

A good game of football generally happens when two teams of more or less the same quality face each other. it doesnt matter what the league is. I have enjoyed Musnter Senior League games as much as I have CL games, as much as I have Cork City games, as much as I have Leyton Orient games. I have also seen better City gameas than crap like Liverpool Chelsea in the CL group stages last week.

I dont it as a pack, it was just most people replied more or less at the same time.

That just so happen to post in the same twattish way?

• Advertisement
Advertisement