Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reality TV Star to get Ireland call up

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Good to see that another eircom League -vs- Premier League shítstorm is brewing. In the end, it's all a matter of opinion, and we are all well aware what opinion is held by many of the people in this forum (pro and anti alike) and also by the current International Coaching staff of Ireland.

Personally, I'm not an eircom league fan and I don't usually post in these threads as I am certainly not well informed enough to argue either side, I'd simply like to know what players eircom league fans believe are good enough to be first team regulars for the International side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Unearthly wrote:
    If its to improve, it has to start with the FAI to attract people to start watching it, what good is single old me gonna do by watching Eircom League from now on except vastly lowering the standard of football I watch?

You've typified the horrible attitude of the Irish nation of a whole. Each person that attends an eL match is making the game better. Every ounce of revenue is needed in order to make improvements, whether it's Champions League prize money or the fifteen quid you pay through the turnstyles on a Friday night.

Why can't you watch the Premiership from the comfort of your couch (I doubt you're a season ticket holder for an English ground) and go along to a live eL game as well? I'm not askin for people to abandon their love of the Premiership, but if we care about the national team and our own players why not support them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Xavi6 wrote:
    You've typified the horrible attitude of the Irish nation of a whole. Each person that attends an eL match is making the game better. Every ounce of revenue is needed in order to make improvements, whether it's Champions League prize money or the fifteen quid you pay through the turnstyles on a Friday night.

Why can't you watch the Premiership from the comfort of your couch (I doubt you're a season ticket holder for an English ground) and go along to a live eL game as well? I'm not askin for people to abandon their love of the Premiership, but if we care about the national team and our own players why not support them?

How about you take me out to EL match on Friday one night?

I'm sure it would be fun......

Unearthly wrote:

ha ha gladly. I don't believe you'll ditch your Man Utd/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea shirt for an eL one but it couln't hurt to see how passionate some people are for our own league. You might even see a player worthy of the Premiership.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Irish football barely gets a penny from the government. Irish people seem to insist on better facilities (no point in 30,000 seater stadiums), before they will consider attending. At the same time, some will wonder how clubs are struggling financially so much.

Basically, Irish football must be getting alot of money from the government (currently: ~€79m for greyhounds, about €5m split between 22 clubs), and already be on steady financial footings, and have huge existing crowds, and loads of internationals, before many will consider it. Anyone notice a problem here? Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Without one there isn't the other, yet for many people, without one they won't consider the other, and eventually there will be neither. (And with the final scenario, Team Ireland must also fold).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Serbian wrote:
    I'd simply like to know what players eircom league fans believe are good enough to be first team regulars for the International side?
    Hmm, realistically probably not one of them, but in a situation where Stan seems to be desperate for players in certain positions he could, and has done, worse than look to the eL.

Jason Byrne, the Shelbourne striker, has been banging in 20+ goals a season for the last three years, fair enough, he got a game and did as well as anyone else on the pitch, but then Robson comes along and says he won't be considered again :confused: Although, Stan did approach Shels for the services of Byrne prior to the Holland game, Byrne was injured however, and still is.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, certain centre halves from the eL would be well due a call up. Gavin and Dillon especially.

Unearthly wrote:

If you are serious I'll definitely take you, any game you choose, I'll even give up a Shels game that night if you really want.

If you want to come to Tolka Park I can get you a seat in the Director's Area even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

gimmick wrote:
    Alan Bennett
    Sean Dillon
    Graham Gartland
    Jason Gavin
    Barry Ferguson
    Colin Hawkins
    Stephen Gray

None of them are worth a look no?
    Bha eircom league y wud we want them rep our country, now english players whos dog was born in ireland now thats who we want rep our country :rolleyes:

Flipin joke that he didnt call up an eL player!!

seansouth wrote:
    If you are serious I'll definitely take you, any game you choose, I'll even give up a Shels game that night if you really want.

If you want to come to Tolka Park I can get you a seat in the Director's Area even.

Is this the bit where I say yes and then you start laughing at me saying I'm gullible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

Gavin or Hawkins should certainly have been called up, Gavin would be my choice. In fact I'd sooner call him up than gary the plank doherty for any squad.
    Flipin joke that he didnt call up an eL paper!!
    Whats the spanish media got to do with any of this:D

Unearthly wrote:
    Is this the bit where I say yes and then you start laughing at me saying I'm gullible?

No, he's serious (I'm sure). If not I'd offer to, I just don't have access to the directors area! :) Hell, being in the crowd is more fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

john_dub wrote:
    Whats the spanish media got to do with any of this:D

:o

Fixed now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Off topic I know but what ever happened to the proposed return of "B" Internationals?

Unearthly wrote:
    Absolutely not, I am part of the Shelbourne Web Team that produces a highlights package after games - have a look at our website, you'll hear me commentating on our recent cup match against Derry City :D

As I said, if you want to come, by all means tell me.

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    No, he's serious (I'm sure). If not I'd offer to, I just don't have access to the directors area! :) Hell, being in the crowd is more fun!

hahaha you're all a nice bunch afterall ;)

Maybe if a few of you all want to come to the same game, the more the merrior.

I could be the person annoying people all game asking questions

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote:
    hahaha you're all a nice bunch afterall ;)

Maybe if a few of you all want to come to the same game, the more the merrior.

I could be the person annoying people all game asking questions

Id definitely be up for it. Be a good laugh to get a group going. Few pints maybe too....

Come with me then, I'm usually away from the crowd, so you wouldn't look like a n00b in front of people, you could ask me all you wanted, hell, I might even be able to organise a pair of earphones so you can listen in to our live commentary stream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Aw, the love in commence :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

you picking up blokes by offering free sub standard football again, Seansouth.

In light of this thread(and the 3million others), I'm going to venture to an EL game next week (I'd go this week but we(dundalk) are away).

So there you go, a convert

zabbo wrote:
    you picking up blokes by offering free sub standard football again, Seansouth.
    How can you call something Sub Standard that you have little or no experience of attending?

• Advertisement

I'm only winding you up Sean.

I followed my local team (monaghan) for a few years back when they were in the top division, but kinda fell out of the habit of going.

I've watched the games on tv recently(especially european games), and the standard is more or less similar to the Championship in England.

I'm looking forward to going back. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Off Topic – All the good intentions of EL fans here will not convince people of the ‘quality’ of the league.
    It takes marketing from the authorities to increase the ELs profile, and that profile will not be improved if the leagues highlights show continues to be aired a 11.50pm on a Monday night.

On Topic – Never heard of this guy before, Stan is in way over his head and that will become obvious when we loose to Germany and Czech Republic (at home) later this year. Lets face it this team is on the down slope (has been for a while) and it will continue that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

zabbo wrote:
    the standard is more or less similar to the Championship in England.

A little to the "less" of "more or less".

Can someone confirm I was imagining seeing the name Hawkins in a thread about the Ireland squad. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

I have only started going to various EL games since last season (i don't really have a particular favourite - but went to a few Dublin City Games this season as a guy who used to Train in our club signed for Dublin City so I took a little interest in them until they folded of course, but now I go to any any games from Bray, Bohs, Shels, Pats and Rovers whoever is playing at home on a Friday night)............I have to say I am very impressed with the standard of EL at the moment and I am really disgusted to see Steve Staunton not even give the EL a look in.........Disgraceful. At least 1 of these guys (Heary, Gavin, Gartland, etc) deserve a call up instead having to find a guy who will only play for Ireland because he won't get a call-up for his own country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The inclusion of St Ledger ad Doherty ahead of Patrick McCarthy is mind boggling , I don't think indiscipline is a big enough reason for Staunton to keep him out of the squad .

I am normally someone who likes to give a manager quite a lot of time before deciding if they should go or not , and I will probably do the same with Staunton but this decision gives me a very negative impression of him .

Are we really better with Staunton than we would have been with Kerr ?...........probably not .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

what is everyone's probelm here?

the chap plays in the championship, and is playing very well

where is the big gripe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

gimmick wrote:
    Alan Bennett
    Sean Dillon
    Graham Gartland
    Jason Gavin
    Barry Ferguson
    Colin Hawkins
    Stephen Gray

None of them are worth a look no?

As long as we don't get any penos. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

You should all go and be memorized by the amazing football played by the
    boards.ie football team . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

seansouth wrote:
    Now, if the game in Ireland is to improve it needs people like you to take an interest and come to games.

ah ha! theres the real motive! tryin to get money outta ya! haha typical!

ye look, the facilities are better in england. if duff, keane, given etc stayed here, they wouldnt be half as good as they are now. so we are using the english facilities to our advantage. our team is better for it.

no matter how much u want it, our players are gonna be picked from english clubs, coz at least we have a basis of comparison over there regarding ability. the premiership is known to be one of the best leagues in the world, so it makes sense to pick players that play in it or in the league directly below it. regardless of your oviosly unbiased view of the eL, and the fact that someplayers could play in the premiership, the fact is, they dont! if i had to choose 11 players that DO play i nthe premiership, and 11 players who COULD play in the premiership, i'd pick the players who DO!

now onto ur man this threas is about.

hes playin the championship, ye? you say the players who play for the top teams in the eL should get a call up. fact is, they play for the top clubs, not against them. they play against admittedly inferior teams.

its just a safer bet. u can go on about kevin doyle all u like but how many players paly in the eL? how many are now in the premiership?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

what if international football was about players playing for their country of birth and only that? it would be a lot more interesting

• Advertisement

You mean, no more Clint?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

but germany would have no more klose or podolski! clint is the only one of our starting line up that would be missing (well maybe mcgeady too)

Kilbane?

Stephen Reid isn't from Clones that's for sure.

event wrote:
    what is everyone's probelm here?

the chap plays in the championship, and is playing very well

where is the big gripe?

For me, the biggest problem here is that he has to be rushed a passport to prove he is Irish, through his Irish Granma. Now, maybe if he were picked for the Holland friendly, I wouldnt have a problem. Thats what friendlies are for. Players like the ones I have mentioned above, and that Leicester fella (McCarthy?) would need no rushed passport.

The_B_Man wrote:

ye look, the facilities are better in england. if duff, keane, given etc stayed here, they wouldnt be half as good as they are now. so we are using the english facilities to our advantage. our team is better for it.

Short term. Where are the next breed coming from? And those are 3 exceptional players, from arguably our golden generation. Look how thread bare the Irish squad is ie stratch slightly below the surface, and you will see the trouble the irish natioanl team is in.
    The_B_Man wrote:
    no matter how much u want it, our players are gonna be picked from english clubs, coz at least we have a basis of comparison over there regarding ability. the premiership is known to be one of the best leagues in the world, so it makes sense to pick players that play in it or in the league directly below it.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Look at la Liga, THE best league in the world, and look at their second tier. Apart from 3/4 clubs its hopeless, and attendences are much like the eL. Just because the Championship is a tier below the premiership, does not make it a great breeding ground for international class players. Hell, take Liverpool, Chlsea, Arsenal (well that remains to be seen this season) and Man Utd, and arguably Spurs, Newcastle and Everton, you are left with distinctly average sides with few English international players.

The_B_Man wrote:
    regardless of your oviosly unbiased view of the eL, and the fact that someplayers could play in the premiership, the fact is, they dont! if i had to choose 11 players that DO play i nthe premiership, and 11 players who COULD play in the premiership, i'd pick the players who DO!

Well, maybe i would pick 11 players from Serie A, or La Liga because, by your logic, they are players who could play in the EPL, but dont.
    The_B_Man wrote:
    hes playin the championship, ye? you say the players who play for the top teams in the eL should get a call up. fact is, they play for the top clubs, not against them. they play against admittedly inferior teams.

Colchester, Southend, Barnsley, Plymouth, QPR, Luton, Burnley, Stoke, are not what i would call top class opposition. I would, however, class Applllon Limassol, Red Star Belgrade, IFK Gotheburg, Brondy, IK Start and Helsinki as far better opposition that any of the above. Not to mention previous seasons - Malmo, Djurgarden, Slavia, Steuea, Hadjuk to name but a few.
    The_B_Man wrote:
    its just a safer bet. u can go on about kevin doyle all u like but how many players paly in the eL? how many are now in the premiership?

I havent counted, but if they play in the eL, I would hazard a guess that they dont play in any other leagues.

Listen, I am not wanting to cause an eL vs the rest of the world argument here again, merely stating that there are SOME players, not all, in the eL who could do a good job if asked, rather than being ignored for some guy who probably didnt know he was Oirish until this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The OP should be working for a Tabloid judging by his title. You'd swear Stan just saw him once on TV and decided to call him up after that.

I think people are just pissed with the fact hes was born in England. Personnally i cant understand that. We need to use the granny rules and we always will.

If its good enough for Germany to use, its good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Lads lets keep it civil and keep the charter in mind. Thanks K.

I think people are just pissed with the fact hes was born in England. Personnally i cant understand that. We need to use the granny rules and we always will.
    If its good enough for Germany to use, its good enough for me.

Do Sweden need to use the granny rule? Why should it be depended on? Why should it be used as the only means of getting players? If there was as much, or indeed any, time used to develop our own players, perhaps we wouldnt be in the mess we are in at present.

If we are reverting to the granny rules, thats it for me as far as Im concerned.
    psi wrote:
    Lads lets keep it civil and keep the charter in mind. Thanks K.

This is very civil IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

gimmick wrote:
    Do Sweden need to use the granny rule?

Do you know of any very good players that have swedish grandparents/parents that they havnt selected? Otherwise how do you kow they dont plan on useign the rule should a player emerge? Same goes for any country.

Is Ibrahimovich 100% swedish? (It's a genuine question, I assume he is but you never know with the name.)

EDIT. just checked, neither of his parents were, he just happened to be born and bred in sweden, so if his parents had pitched up in dublin, he'd have been as Irish as he is swedish, would that havbe been better than a player who actually has swedish ancestry ? What about 10,000 polish people who have kids here but go back to poland when the kids are young or teenagers, would you wlecome those kids into the Irish squad when they grow up or is there some sort of minimum amount of years they have to have lived here to be "irish" enough for your squad?

Why does where a player is born really effect the country he plays for? If peles parents had been holidaying around the ring of Kerry when hismother went in to labour, and he decided in 1958 he wanted an Irish passport, would you have sent him packign and said "no chance Pele, we dont want you in the Ireland squad"? Or if his granny was Irish?

gimmick wrote:
    Why should it be used as the only means of getting players? .

Unless our whole squad is getting in based on the rule, which it isnt, then it clearly isnt our only means of getting players.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote:
    If we are reverting to the granny rules, thats it for me as far as Im concerned.
    TBH, it is one thing in a long line of FAI/National Team cock ups and unbelievable decisions that have made it more 'it for me' in the recent and not so recent past.

The abject failure of the FAI to appoint a decent manager with some pedigree in the game was the start of this. Staunton said at the beginning of his tenure that he would be going this route, and tbh it shouldn't be much of a surprise.

It is , however, a disgrace.

gimmick wrote:
    This is very civil IMO.
    Agreed.

gimmick wrote:
    Do Sweden need to use the granny rule? Why should it be depended on? Why should it be used as the only means of getting players? If there was as much, or indeed any, time used to develop our own players, perhaps we wouldnt be in the mess we are in at present.

Where Kerr was in charge of the youth team he did brilliantly. U16s got the european cup final did they? U18s(i think it was them) got to the semi's of the world cup. Was the FAI fault those players didnt make the step up?

If so why was it their fault? Why arent the EL leagues developing their own players? Even when we do we screw it up. Look at Cork city and kevin doyle. Was it FAI fault we decided to give a class player a stupidly cheap release clause? Is it their fault we wait till a players contract is about to expire before deciding if we should renew it?

We have always used the granny rule, so i dont see your only now getting pissed off with it.

Also, i am pretty sure all the Granny rule haters heard wouldnt be crying into their pint if Clinton Morrision scores the goal that takes us in the Euro 2008.

seansouth wrote:

The abject failure of the FAI to appoint a decent manager with some pedigree in the game was the start of this. Staunton said at the beginning of his tenure that he would be going this route, and tbh it shouldn't be much of a surprise.

Who would you of hired as manager? Most decent managers wouldnt want the Irish job. You have a **** team, and a load of fans who you will never please.

I really cant see the appeal of it.

Was Stephen Kenny even approached?

For all of the people who don't follow the eL, Stephen Kenny is the manager of Derry City, a team that has knocked IFK Gothenburg and the SPL team elect Gretna out of the UEFA Cup this season.

Ah, but, we have a shi-t team (by your admission) full of English playing primadonnas who won't listen to a manager who's pedigree is in the eL. Look at the way the players treated Kerr. By Kerr's captain own admission he told them his tactics and they went out and did their own thing, ie hoofball.

seansouth wrote:
    Was Stephen Kenny even approached?

For all of the people who don't follow the eL, Stephen Kenny is the manager of Derry City, a team that has knocked IFK Gothenburg and the SPL team elect Gretna out of the UEFA Cup this season.

Ah, but, we have a shi-t team (by your admission) full of English playing primadonnas who won't listen to a manager who's pedigree is in the eL. Look at the way the players treated Kerr. By Kerr's captain own admission he told them his tactics and they went out and did their own thing, ie hoofball.

Ah come on. If you had suggested stephen Kenny when Stan was appointed even the EL fans would of laughed at you. Hes has done great now, but when the job was available he was never going to be considered and rightfully so.

Look at Kerr's tactics. didnt he decide to pick stehpen Carr ahead of Finnan who was having probaly the best season of his career?

Haha, sending on Gary doherty in the last 20 minutes of games is sending out a clear messgae to your players to play the ball on the ground and into his feet? I think not.

stekelly wrote:
    EDIT. just checked, neither of his parents were, he just happened to be born and bred in sweden, so if his parents had pitched up in dublin, he'd have been as Irish as he is swedish, would that havbe been better than a player who actually has swedish ancestry ? What about 10,000 polish people who have kids here but go back to poland when the kids are young or teenagers, would you wlecome those kids into the Irish squad when they grow up or is there some sort of minimum amount of years they have to have lived here to be "irish" enough for your squad?

Im not sure I see your point on this, but if Zlatan was born and bred in Sweden, wheres the problem. The major differnce between Sweden and Ireland when it comes to players is their development. I am fairly certain that aspiring young players are not allowed leave before the age of 20 or something. They are well on their way to becoming top class players when they leve, and generally speaking, a decent fee is involved.

Re Polish kids, or whatever, again if they are born, bred,a nd developed here as players first, blessings of God on them.

If I have missed your point I aplogise.
    Where Kerr was in charge of the youth team he did brilliantly. U16s got the european cup final did they? U18s(i think it was them) got to the semi's of the world cup. Was the FAI fault those players didnt make the step up?

If so why was it their fault?

100% yes, it is their fault. The FAI know well how many youth players on average make it the step up to the next level, but as I am forever saying, they are letting the Englsih clubs they are farmed out to decide their futures. There is no structure in place with the FAI for returning young players whose dreams have been dasjhed before they are 20. Not to mention the fact that there isn't even a school of excellence like they have in England, France, Spain, Germany, Italy etc.
    Why arent the EL leagues developing their own players? Even when we do we screw it up.

Cork City have one of the best youth systems in this country, and has a good record of players coming through the ranks making it to the first team. Examples of the current 1st team squad include Colin O Brien, Alan Bennet, Neale Horgan, Cillian Lordan, Brian McCarthy, Denis Behan (albei briefly with Brentford) and most recently Admir Softic. The rerason why more cant come through is simply down to funding. There should be FAI grants for teams developing their own talent.
    Look at Cork city and kevin doyle. Was it FAI fault we decided to give a class player a stupidly cheap release clause? Is it their fault we wait till a players contract is about to expire before deciding if we should renew it?

Fact is, eL clubs cannot player silly buggers with players. The fee which was recieved for Doyle, whether we like it or not, a good one for an Irish club. Much as I hate saying it. And his clause was only triggered by very dodgycircumstances, which have no place being discussed on this, or any other forum.
    Also, i am pretty sure all the Granny rule haters heard wouldnt be crying into their pint if Clinton Morrision scores the goal that takes us in the Euro 2008.

Being honest, It wouldnt bother me in the slighest if they qualify or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Gimmick,

I saw Kerr speak a couple of months before he won the euro championships and he was banging on about the same things. Youth system, funding, keep them here until they're old enough to go. He was talking about arranging regional football scholarships with colleges throughout the country, following the Norwegian model of not picking players for the international team for 5 years if they left before they were 21. He had the ideas and the passion, and it was great to hear soemone with something positive. Of course we know that these things are in place now :rolleyes:

Nope it's down to FAI internal politics and small time feuds. It's so bloody parochial, a shower of me feinners who couldn't see the big picture even if it fell on their heads.

gimmick wrote:
    100% yes, it is their fault. The FAI know well how many youth players on average make it the step up to the next level, but as I am forever saying, they are letting the Englsih clubs they are farmed out to decide their futures. There is no structure in place with the FAI for returning young players whose dreams have been dasjhed before they are 20. Not to mention the fact that there isn't even a school of excellence like they have in England, France, Spain, Germany, Italy etc.

Why do you suggest the FAI do with players at 18 or 19 who havent made the grade? :confused: Are they not able to look after themselves at that age?

Look at the Nations you have mentioned. All have massive lcubs and a massivley popular leagues. The yearly attendances for those some of those clubs is probaly bigger then the population of Leinster.

gimmick wrote:
    Cork City have one of the best youth systems in this country, and has a good record of players coming through the ranks making it to the first team. Examples of the current 1st team squad include Colin O Brien, Alan Bennet, Neale Horgan, Cillian Lordan, Brian McCarthy, Denis Behan (albei briefly with Brentford) and most recently Admir Softic. The rerason why more cant come through is simply down to funding. There should be FAI grants for teams developing their own talent.

Fact is, eL clubs cannot player silly buggers with players. The fee which was recieved for Doyle, whether we like it or not, a good one for an Irish club. Much as I hate saying it. And his clause was only triggered by very dodgycircumstances, which have no place being discussed on this, or any other forum.

Was Softic born in Ireland? ;)

shelbourne have refused a few big offers for Jason Byrne, why didnt Cork do the same? Why they did even have that release clause?! Whats the excuse with Liam Kearney? Obviously not as good as Doyle, but we could of definitly used him this season. We arsed arsed around too long. Wont we end up losing as few more players due to that aswell? :confused:

gimmick wrote:

Being honest, It wouldnt bother me in the slighest if they qualify or not.

If the Irish team dont bother you, why post about them and get pissed off when EL players arent picked?

Nope it's down to FAI internal politics and small time feuds. It's so bloody parochial, a shower of me feinners who couldn't see the big picture even if it fell on their heads.
    Everyone knows that the FAI are like this, but it doesn't affect the majority of people because they support the EPL or other foreign leagues. It's no co-incidence that the most vocal anti-FAI/National Team people on here are eL fans. We see the ineptitude of the FAI on an almost daily basis, and have to deal with it as it affects our clubs and the league we play in. It never gets better, in fact, in the past couple of months it seems to have taken on an almost reverse personality.

On the other hand, it only affects the majority about once a month, so they care little.

Gimmick,

I saw Kerr speak a couple of months before he won the euro championships and he was banging on about the same things. Youth system, funding, keep them here until they're old enough to go. He was talking about arranging regional football scholarships with colleges throughout the country, following the Norwegian model of not picking players for the international team for 5 years if they left before they were 21. He had the ideas and the passion, and it was great to hear soemone with something positive. Of course we know that these things are in place now :rolleyes:

There old to go at any stage. You cant force young players to stay here. Ask most 16 years who would they prefer to do? stay here or sign for a premiership team in England and give that a try? Hmmm i wonder.

Haha, yes, lets model ourselves on Norway. Its really paid off for them hasnt it. So bascially lets hold our young players to ransom for playing abroad? Eh yea, thats a great way to motivate them and encourage them. :confused:

Why do you suggest the FAI do with players at 18 or 19 who havent made the grade? :confused: Are they not able to look after themselves at that age?

No, alot of these fellas have been with an Englsih (foreign) club since they were quite young, only know football, have become disillusioned with the whole thing, and never kick a ball again. We all, at least, know of if not know someone with this tale of woe. In England, the PFA arrange 'exit trials' every summer for players who have been released in the hopes someone else sees something in them. It might be nice if the eL/FAI (now that they are merging)arranged such.
    Look at the Nations you have mentioned. All have massive lcubs and a massivley popular leagues. The yearly attendances for those some of those clubs is probaly bigger then the population of Leinster.

What difference does that make? Is it impossible for a small nation like ourselves to wish to have a competent FA which wants to develop its own players?
    Was Softic born in Ireland? ;)

No, but he has been living here since he has been 13, and has been with Cork City since he was 16, the youngest a player can be to be in Citys youth ranks.
    shelbourne have refused a few big offers for Jason Byrne, why didnt Cork do the same? Why they did even have that release clause?!

Because through whatever means, Shels could afford so. City could not afford to refuse the offer. Not to mention the clause, but as I have said that was put into his contract, and triggered by other means. The reason the clause was there is because it was insisted on by Doyles negotiators. he could have left for nothing, almost immediately, had the clause not been put in.
    Whats the excuse with Liam Kearney? Obviously not as good as Doyle, but we could of definitly used him this season. We arsed arsed around too long. Wont we end up losing as few more players due to that aswell? :confused:

This may sound like a cop out, but unlike many, I know exactly how the talks broke down. Liam Kearney did not want to leave Cork City.
    If the Irish team dont bother you, why post about them and get pissed off when EL players arent picked?

Because I would like to see players who I see week in week out get a run, even in the odd friendly, rather than some guy who needs a passport rushed to him. The fact that eL players are continually ignored, and players like Morrison, Doherty etc are continually included baffles me.
    There old to go at any stage. You cant force young players to stay here. Ask most 16 years who would they prefer to do? stay here or sign for a premiership team in England and give that a try? Hmmm i wonder.

No, you cant force them, but at least give them a viable option, where their educational needs can be looked after at home, as well as being brought up in a family environment at home.
    Haha, yes, lets model ourselves on Norway. Its really paid off for them hasnt it. So bascially lets hold our young players to ransom for playing abroad? Eh yea, thats a great way to motivate them and encourage them.

I wont claim to know the facts here, but Norways domestic league is the strongest it has been in years at the moment. This will impact on their national team sooner or later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement