Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reality TV Star to get Ireland call up

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

back on topic....for a minute but has anyone seen this lad play at all? Is he any good?

On the EL Vs everyone front, i too don't have enough knowledge on the EL to be making judgements but going on what I know, the standard seems quite good, looking at the Euro exploits this year alone, I couldn't see many English Championship sides doing as well as Derry or the Drogs. In terms of facilities, i dunno what places like Colchester or Hull are like, but some of the EL stadia must match up on some level.

I think even the dogs in the street can see how inept the FAI are. Genesis and every other report seem to be little more than paper talk imho, the heads in Merrion Square really need to roll. We have a domestic league slowly falling apart, a National team that's turning into a laughing stock and still no stadium, decent training facilities or youth academy. I say Des, Me and anyone else who wants march on Merrion Square and stage a coup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

gimmick wrote:

What difference does that make? Is it impossible for a small nation like ourselves to wish to have a competent FA which wants to develop its own players?

No, you cant force them, but at least give them a viable option, where their educational needs can be looked after at home, as well as being brought up in a family environment at home.

The Financial stength of those FA's make its a huge difference. The FAI couldnt afford to set up school's of excellence. Look at Cherry Orchard, they dont seem to have a huge developing youngsters. Yet EL clubs struggle with this? :confused:

I dont know why the FAI get such blame. I dont think its a case of them having loads of money hidden in somewhere and not doing something with it because they dont know what to do.

They tried to raise money by selling rights to our matchs to sky sports, they got absolutely torn to shreds because of it. Everyone wanted RTE to pay peanuts and be given the rights. Then everyone turns around a whinges about the FAI not being able to afford a stadioum for themselves.

Why not have a go at the goverment instead of the FAI?

P.S Hulls stadium is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

sorry i forgot about them. Millions into the bloodstock industry through tax b reaks etc and Ireland is a world leader in the sport. Millions in grants etc to dog racing too. Not GAA bashing here, I think they are quite a good example most of the time, but they got millions from the Government too. How have the FAI/EL been missing all these boats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

gimmick wrote:
    Im not sure I see your point on this, but if Zlatan was born and bred in Sweden, wheres the problem. The major differnce between Sweden and Ireland when it comes to players is their development. I am fairly certain that aspiring young players are not allowed leave before the age of 20 or something. They are well on their way to becoming top class players when they leve, and generally speaking, a decent fee is involved.

Re Polish kids, or whatever, again if they are born, bred,a nd developed here as players first, blessings of God on them.

If I have missed your point I aplogise.

What I'm getting at is surely if your entitled to an Irish passport then your Irish enough to play for the national team. Whats the difference between a polish guy with only poliosh blood who happened to be born here as it's where his parents chose to work, a polish kid who was born here but moved back to poland with his parents at a very young age, or a kid whos Irish parents or grandparents emigrated to England where he was born and grew up, but maybe visited Ireland a lot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The Financial stength of those FA's make its a huge difference. The FAI couldnt afford to set up school's of excellence.

Obviously those other FAs have more money, but they have larger populations and will have more players to develop than a country like Ireland. Why cant the FA afford a school of excellence? Where is the money going? And thats a genuine question.
    Look at Cherry Orchard, they dont seem to have a huge developing youngsters. Yet EL clubs struggle with this? :confused:

Cheery Orcahrd dont have professional players wages to pay, travel expenses, coasching staffs wages, bonuses etc. Could be wrong here, but they are a feeder club to man City, so they can pay for better coaching.

I have. Many many times on this forum.
    Whats the difference between a polish guy with only poliosh blood who happened to be born here as it's where his parents chose to work, a polish kid who was born here but moved back to poland with his parents at a very young age, or a kid whos Irish parents or grandparents emigrated to England where he was born and grew up, but maybe visited Ireland a lot?

Very little in theory, but to go back to the point of the thread, why does this fella need a rushed through passport? If he felt Irish he maybe should have looked into this long ago. Perhaps I am trying to over simplyify for my own propaganda :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

gimmick wrote:
    Very little in theory, but to go back to the point of the thread, why does this fella need a rushed through passport? If he felt Irish he maybe should have looked into this long ago. Perhaps I am trying to over simplyify for my own propaganda :)

I suppose it's a personal thing as to whether you actually go get a 2nd passport that your entitled to. I have always held both my Irish and German passports but thats simply because I wanted too. Tbh I use whichever one I happen to pick up. I am very bad for loing stuff so at the moment I dont know where my German one is. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭dohboy

gimmick wrote:
    Alan Bennett
    Sean Dillon
    Graham Gartland
    Jason Gavin
    Barry Ferguson
    Colin Hawkins
    Stephen Gray

None of them are worth a look no?

are those the lads off Love Island?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Is that all yuo have to contribute? Well done. I look forward to your input into further discussions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

gimmick wrote:
    Is that all yuo have to contribute? Well done. I look forward to your input into further discussions.
    Oh would you relax. In the light of the thread title it's a fair enough comment even if he is taking the p1ss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

On Topic
    I have never seen or heard of this guy before and it would appear to me that this is an attempt by Stan to merely get him on board and lock him in. Using a game as important as this for this purpose is lunacy.

Off Topic
    I always enjoy the English vs Irish soccer debate on here. And I generally come out with the same opinion. We are all soccer fans. We will all watch and read about any football when we see it. But unfortunately the coverage just is not there for Irish football.

English football takes over the tv at the weekend, it takes over the back pages all week. The media is not doing enough to promote the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Turns out the guys Grandmother is from Tullow in Co. Carlow, so he has my support :D

irish1 wrote:
    Turns out the guys Grandmother is from Tullow in Co. Carlow, so he has my support :D

Ah Tullow, the cultural cornerstone of Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Of the world WMJ of the world!!

Theres a piece on the Nationalist about him this week. One of our own!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Should have been Paddy McCarthy before any of those players anyway.

/edit or even Paul McShane.

Would have been my choice aswell.

I've seen St. Ledger play a few games last season for posh and a few games this season and preseason for Preston and I have to say he is a very good player and looks like he will be the part, in a few years, don't know if he is ready yet but he definatly has all the qualities for his posistion.

That said, McShane should be an automatic pick for the senoir squad anyway so it shouldn't even have had to happen.

gimmick wrote:
    I dont it as a pack, it was just most people replied more or less at the same time.

I disagree. I maintain that the top 3 eL clubs,a nd maybe Drogheda would survive comfortably playing in The Championship. Having seen Leyton orient quite a bit over the last few years, i am certain eL clubs are at a higher level than them, and having them play Swansea on saturady, I would hazard are better than both - and Swansea ghave ambitions of being a championship standard club. however, that is an argument for another day.

Does St Ledger get his game for PNE?

I could name 7 swansea players better than any in the eircom league, easy and a few more that are debateable.

The eircom league is about level with mid table league one.

gimmick wrote:

Colchester, Southend, Barnsley, Plymouth, QPR, Luton, Burnley, Stoke, are not what i would call top class opposition. I would, however, class Applllon Limassol, Red Star Belgrade, IFK Gotheburg, Brondy, IK Start and Helsinki as far better opposition that any of the above. Not to mention previous seasons - Malmo, Djurgarden, Slavia, Steuea, Hadjuk to name but a few.

You could take Appllon, IK Start, Helsinki, Malmo (who are no more than a farm), Steuna, Split and Djurgarden out of that list because, frankly, they are way below championship level clubs in terms of quality.

gimmick wrote:
    Do Sweden need to use the granny rule?

I don't think Zlatan Ibramovich is a very swedish name, do you?

Or bodjan Dorgivic (SP) for that matter either.

they have a lot of young Serb/Croat/Albanian players in thier under age teams aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Can anyone tell me if Steve Staunton has even seen this lad play? And can any of the eL fans heard of Stan being at any eL games since he took over (or even before...)?

• Advertisement

Staunton has said he has seen him play, He trained with the u21s last season for a few weeks.

Staunton was at a few EL games and a few european games involving EL teams,
    Where as the other muppet (Kerr) seems to have only remembered that the league exists since he has got sacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Saw stan at 25 minutes of UCD/Shels once... not sure if that counts as a game, seeing as it was only about 33% of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Seaneh wrote:
    You could take Appllon, IK Start, Helsinki, Malmo (who are no more than a farm), Steuna, Split and Djurgarden out of that list because, frankly, they are way below championship level clubs in terms of quality.
    Where ya pulling that from? If its only opinion, fair enough - have you seen much of them all? Just for the record though, that I know off hand, Steaua are in the Champions League group stages this year, and were in the semis of the UEFA Cup last year - the year they knocked Shels out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Seaneh wrote:
    Where as the other muppet (Kerr) seems to have only remembered that the league exists since he has got sacked.

Yet he went to a game every 2nd week whilst ireland manager, odd how you knew that.

Staunton picking this guy is funny, funnier when you think Weso got a man of the match award by only playing 17 minutes last week and another one this week for playing 71. Something not right in scouting for ireland land.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Staunton picking this guy is funny, funnier when you think Weso got a man of the match award by only playing 17 minutes last week and another one this week for playing 71. Something not right in scouting for ireland land.

http://www.football-league.premiumtv.co.uk/staticFiles/22/7f/0,,10794~32546,00.jpg

• Advertisement

Wesley brought in as cover for right back? dont think so lads.

Wesley brought in as cover for right back? dont think so lads.

He's a left winger.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    He's a left winger.

excactly. I though kdja was implying wesley should of been brought in ahead of sean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Doesn't sound like a bad player anyway:

Meanwhile, goalkeeping coach Kelly also gave a favourable endorsement of new boy Sean St Ledger, who figured at right back, having watched him on a couple of occasions in action with new club Preston North End prior to his call-up.

"I've been to see him a few times and been very impressed. I've spoken to his manager (Paul Simpson) and he's got man of the match in four of their six games so far this year," he said.

"It's been impressive how level-headed he has been and also how comfortable on the ball like an old-fashioned defender.

"Playing as a centre-half in the Championship you come up against more robust centre-forwards but he looks very assured from what I've seen so far.

"He's obviously got ticks in the most of the right boxes because that's why he's here."

Then again, Adam Virgo was highly rated at Brighton but failed miserably at Celtic.

Advertisement