Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slow Laptop

• 29-08-2006 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭

My friend has a Dell laptop. When i was round last night i noticed how slow it was. Like its taking probably 1 minute at least to open say MS Word or Adobe. When i went in the CPU was running up and down to 100%. He hasnt downloaded anything like Limewire, infact there was nothing on it that i could see that he has loaded on other than the necessary. Is there anything I can do to try and see what is holding it up??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Scan for adware/virus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

How old is the laptop? Operating System? How Much Ram does it have? Is it Overheating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭mel123

Already done an anti-virus check, didnt show up anything.
    Using windows XP, 512MB RAM, its not over heating, and its only about 6 months old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

as access said - scan for adware/spyware

use adaware and spybot - you'll find them on google - both free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dark Hair

mel123 wrote:
    My friend has a Dell laptop. When i was round last night i noticed how slow it was. Like its taking probably 1 minute at least to open say MS Word or Adobe. When i went in the CPU was running up and down to 100%. He hasnt downloaded anything like Limewire, infact there was nothing on it that i could see that he has loaded on other than the necessary. Is there anything I can do to try and see what is holding it up??

This might be completely unrelated to your issue... but check to see what is running by using CTRL+ ALT+ DELETE and sort your processes values by CPU. See what is running and using the most of your CPU. Ignore system Idle.

Check if you have any thing "spooling" I once had a document continuiously spooling to that MS mdi printer yoke. Really bogged down my PC much like yours seems to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Could it be Norton 2006 or McAfee that is on the laptop? IF either of these are on it remove them and unleash the speed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Run an anti-virus scan in safe mode, check your startup config for programs that you don't need running and if you can no harm to upgrade to another sick of 512mb RAM.

Advertisement