Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light bulbs blowing in new house

Options
  • 29-08-2006 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've recently moved into a new house and am having issues with light bulbs continuously blowing, at a rate of about one per night.

The light bulbs are probably not of the highest quality and I am wondering if it might be due to this or if its possibly an electrical problem.

Anyone have a similar experience ?

Cheers,
    PK

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The cheapest of the cheap lightbulbs will at least last a couple of months, so i would guess the problem is something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Are you aware of much damp in the house? It can take some considerable time for it to dry to a reasonable level. Try a dehumidifier for a couple of days. That may not necessarily solve the problem but it will help with other aspects. keep it at a low setting.

The damp issue is only a suggestion as I think it is possibly something to do with the electricals. Get the sparky back to have a look at it.

The standard of light bulb would not be an issue here unless of course you got a few from a bad batch. Buy a couple from a different outlet and see how they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Patrick_K

Thanks for the reply guys,
    The bulbs have been from different batches and there is no noticeable damp so it sounds like I need to get the electrician back.
    Cheers,
    PK

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Copper

A common cause of lamp failure is high voltage, something like for every 5% increase in operating voltage over the rated voltage, a lamps life is halved, its even more drastic with halogen lamps. If its a new build you could have a higher voltage of around 240V in which case theres not a lot you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Insist that the ESB put a monitor in the house for a couple of days, most likely cause is a surge, is there a particular time in the evening when one blows. If it is brand new (the house) call back the builder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭charlie@w.d

what type lights do u have, are they the recessed type where they are flush with your ceiling or are they the ordinary hanging pendant type.
    the recessed ones can always give gtrouble when theres too much heat surrounding the bulb or alot of vibration can blow the bulb. but more than likely its the e.s.b's fault as your probably gettin surges which lessens the bulbs life. i would ring the esb and explain to them whats happening because if there are bulbs blowing everywhere in the house theres not alot a sparks can do about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

As mentioned above it could be a voltage spike. The closer you are to the sub station the more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I had this problem when my house was new. Some even exploded! Had the supply checked and they couldn't find anything wrong. Happend regardless of make of bulb. I even had a computer badly damaged aswell so I put it down to surges. I switched most of the bulbs too energy efficient light bulbs, they come on slower and have gone from replacing bulbs every 3-6 months to not changing them. PC's are always behind surge protectors now. Your problem might be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Another cause can be if you exceed the rating of light fittings and lampshades. The bulb overheats and the fillament melts. :)

Advertisement