Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to cork any suggestions on where to go?

Options
  • 29-08-2006 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

I am finally escaping to ireland in a couple days and was wondering where fun places are to go in cork. I will be located in the city center, wont have a car and wont know my way around by the weekend, so would prefer to not stray too far from where I am supposed to pass out.

Any suggestions on where to go and what to do this week and why that event over something else?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Go to any of the big city centre pubs on Sunday and watch the All-Ireland hurling final. Should be good, the town will be buzzing later that night, especially if they win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Come on the Rebels! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

it depends what music are you into?
    and what you define as good,theres pubs,plays,kino cinema,fota a few things there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭trixter

it depends what music are you into?
    and what you define as good,theres pubs,plays,kino cinema,fota a few things there

that is why I asked others to say why it was good :) I like a variety of music, generally not hip hop though, infact I kinda dislike that with a passion.

Go to any of the big city centre pubs on Sunday and watch the All-Ireland hurling final. Should be good, the town will be buzzing later that night, especially if they win.

That might be fun, I will have to look into that. I have never seen a hurling match, but googles assistance revealed that it is somewhat similar to field hockey in the US or lacrosse with a slightly different stick.

Is it legal to hit someone with the stick? That was one thing I liked about lacrosse when I played in school. Hockey is too tame for my tastes :)

• Advertisement

www.corkgigs.com is good to find gigs

www.corkgigs.com is good to find gigs

Of course being new to both cork and ireland I have to figure out who most of those bands are :P I was more interested in stuff that is going on this weekend that doesnt happen most weekends, granted gigs are something that may be hit or miss, your favourite band may be playing one weekend and not the next, but ...

I realize that the criteria I gave was vague, but that was by design, as suggestions come in, they not only help me but others reading this potentially, and it gives me a feel for the types of people that post on here as well based on what they like to do :)

if u want dance music and chart go to cubins thats a nightclub
    if you want rock,metal check out purgatory in cyprus avenue its a new club
    if u want hip hop go to redz a nightclub
    if u want electro and techno go to suis bar.
    if u just want a late bar and what to pull go to the brog
    if not the quad is alrite also a late bar.

also this is a handy link try this http://www.whazon.com/cork/

your very vague by the way but this should help u

What I dont see is a recommendation for a good ol pub that serves good food and is not a club. Basically a place to hang out with people, talk, maybe play pool/darts, and it must have good food.

purgatory is probably one place I will look into personally, but I also like to eat pub food and dont always want a loud place (my hearing is bad enough as it is).
    as stated earlier, that was somewhat intentional, as I felt this question would help people other than myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

trixter wrote:
    I was more interested in stuff that is going on this weekend that doesnt happen most weekends

Well it's Heritage Week this week, which only happens once a year. A lot of the civic and private buildings around the city will open to visitors on Saturday and Sunday. There's plenty more on as well, so have a look around that site.

Also, have a look at Cork-Kerry Tourism's site. They usually list a wide variety of events that aren't covered in the guides already mentioned, and they also list other attractions and activities in the area.

• Advertisement

Well it's Heritage Week this week, which only happens once a year. A lot of the civic and private buildings around the city will open to visitors on Saturday and Sunday. There's plenty more on as well, so have a look around that site.

thanks! that looks interesting (I like old buildings). looks like I picked the right week to move :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

Whatever else you do, make sure you watch the Cork v Kilkenny match in a pub on Sunday. There'll be a great atmosphere pretty much everywhere in Cork, to be honest I sometimes find it better outside of the city centre for watching matches but there are a few good spots in town I'm sure.

try the bodega

try the bodega
    i will check that out. looks like my first few days are taken care of. i am actually in the airport now enroute :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭cork-langer

stick to Washington street area you cant go wrong.

The brog is cool too if your too demented to get into a club

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

also this is a handy link try this http://www.whazon.com/cork/

since when can you pull in teh bróg!?!?

(or at least pull summat reasonalbly attractive :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Tree wrote:
    since when can you pull in teh bróg!?!?

(or at least pull summat reasonalbly attractive :P)

The above is true. Loads of munters inside there, foul things just like their pints.

haha well some ppl are desperate,tis a cattle mart lol.
    i hate the gaff but ppl go there everynight.

shameless plug by the way Purgatory this friday@cyprus avenue,check out the thread below......its gona be rocking

I noticed a lot of red headed people, I am assuming since its obviously not natural red that its showing support for the rebels. Then I look out and see off kyrls quay there is a blue banner from o2 talking about the rebels.

Is blue significant in any way or am I just reading too much into things?

I ask mainly because while I have seen many many people with red hair, I have blue hair and seem to be the only one here, and there have been some stares that I am not sure what to make of them. No bad comments, only a couple of 'I like your hair' type stuff, but the stares make me think that maybe people think I am supporting some tema or something that I dont even know about :/

Shyster wrote:
    Whatever else you do, make sure you watch the Cork v Kilkenny match in a pub on Sunday. There'll be a great atmosphere pretty much everywhere in Cork, to be honest I sometimes find it better outside of the city centre for watching matches but there are a few good spots in town I'm sure.

does anyone have any ideas? During my wandering I found only one place advertising as a sports bar, so I am unsure of the types of places that would cater to that and dont want to spend all day looking for a good place :)

Granted I havent wandered everywhere yet, been too busy doing things like food shopping, trying to get permanant residency (I dont want them to kick me out after 90 days!) and all that the last couple days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Hells_Belle

trixter wrote:
    does anyone have any ideas? During my wandering I found only one place advertising as a sports bar, so I am unsure of the types of places that would cater to that and dont want to spend all day looking for a good place :)

If it has beer and a telly, it's a sports bar for that match. It's a major sporting event here and everyone will be in a pub - any pub - watching.

Advertisement