Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about XP and changing hardware

• 29-08-2006 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok I've read around that after a certain amount of changes in the hardware config XP requests a reactivation. Is there any way of checking how many changes are left in my system? Also if I unplug a DVD drive, boot, then reboot with it plugged back in does that count as a hardware change in XP. Also If I change the RAM, mobo and CPU all together is that 1 change or 3 changes in XP?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭tadgh

Read this article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Just ring up the activation fone no. & tell them you rma'd your mobo. Was told that before. :D They only ask you for the 1st 6 numbers of your activation code. Had 2 ring them last week when i set up my raid 0 & re-installed. He just asked me why & gave me the code, no other questions asked. I just told him I had to re-install, didn't say anything bout setting up raid. He gave me the code without questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moved to Windows Forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Does adding or removing anything count as hardware change? Because I've literally changed my graphics card, put in various pci cards, changed hard drive, ram, etc rakes of times and was not even aware of this re-activation process...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

ive unplugged a dvd drive and had to re activate a system.
    if your using a vl version of xp you dont have to activate.

thats the only thing i can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

i've never come across this before in my life and I must have worked on hundreds of machines running xp. (unless I reinstall of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

BrianjG wrote:
    i've never come across this before in my life and I must have worked on hundreds of machines running xp. (unless I reinstall of course).
    highly unlikely, but possible i guess.
    ive worked on hundreds of xp machines and have done billions of activations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

well I aint bullsh1ting you. I've had to do plenty of activations but never for swapping cards/drives/etc.

Advertisement