Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Greek channels

• 29-08-2006 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what FTA Greek channels you can get with a 1 meter dish in Dublin area. Also what else would I need.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

See http://www.lyngsat.com/hellas2.html

MPEG2 CLEAR is the ones that work!

I upgraded from 80cm motorised to 110cm / 100cm motorised and makes little difference to Hellas Sat @ 39E.

The schools two way Internet in Ireland uses 39E too.

You need any non-Sky Digital receiver, FTA or not. From about 70 Euro up.

A fixed 1m dish pointed at 39E with 2nd LNB to west side of arm will also get Turkish 42E :) West beam
    (Much stronger too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Please rename the attached file to .html when you download it. Has a list of viewable channels showing both encrypted and fta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Thanks for those I will try tune them in tonight when I get home. I have a DELSAT receiver that I got for €80 in Dubai and a 1 meter dish. I can get ERT and Holidays in Greece channel and loads of Middle east/German/Serbian/Italian channels but I want more Greek to be honest. Seeing as im getting all those above what sattalites would you say Im on!!! Im just new to this so not sure. It was set up by someone else too and I wasnt present at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

You are on Hotbird I would guess, can you get a channel called 2maroc? if so it is hotbird. Possibly you are on hellas satellite but there isnt an abundance of german channels on that.

• Advertisement

Itallian + German = Hotbird, not Hellas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Dellas wrote:
    I can get ERT and Holidays in Greece channel

Hotbird yes.

There's a good montage of the Nova offerings with a biggish window sometimes carrying the Greek footy. No commentary but at least it's free. Greek subs online are in about €1.000 per annum so this is a real cheapskate way of watching ppv :)

The only other free Greek channel I have watched is the parliament one.
    It lists itself in Greek characters.
    Something like AïõëÞ.

ok thanks for that so if I wanted to get Hellas sat and pick up RIK Cyprus also aswell as some of the other Hellas Sat free channels could I get a extension arm and another LNB . Or maybe I should just move the dish over to Hellas Sat as Im only interested in getting the Greek channels. How would I know how far to turn it and which way etc...

Dellas wrote:
    ok thanks for that so if I wanted to get Hellas sat and pick up RIK Cyprus also aswell as some of the other Hellas Sat free channels could I get a extension arm and another LNB . Or maybe I should just move the dish over to Hellas Sat as Im only interested in getting the Greek channels. How would I know how far to turn it and which way etc...

Hellas Sat is at 39e
    Your dish is currently at Hotbird 13e

A bracket for a second LNB would not work I do not think.
    The sats you want are too far apart.

Move the dish.

Buy a satfinder in maplins and point more to the left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Who on earth watches Greek Parliament?! What channels do you want to watch by the way?

Star, Mega, Alpha and Ant1 are the main ones. Dellas, do you want me to post up an example of English speaking programs of some channels? I'm presuming that the sat channels are a copy of what we get on terrestrial here?

• Advertisement

You'll need to move dish nearly 20 degrees east and tilt it forward maybe by 8 degrees at a rough guess.

You need experience and a meter. I recommend finding someone who can do it as a 1m dish is MUCH harder to point than a mini-dish.

Gordon wrote:
    Who on earth watches Greek Parliament?

One assumes Greek people do.

Not being a Greek speaker, find myself restricted to that
    stupid Oireachtas thing on RTE and BBC parliament.

Gordon wrote:
    Who on earth watches Greek Parliament?! What channels do you want to watch by the way?

Star, Mega, Alpha and Ant1 are the main ones. Dellas, do you want me to post up an example of English speaking programs of some channels? I'm presuming that the sat channels are a copy of what we get on terrestrial here?

My mums greek and I dont even watch Greek Parliment :D:D Greek politics are best avoided :)

I really want Greek News in English which I know I can get On the Greek Cypriot channel RIK/PIK. I also want Greek music which Jeronymo Groovy has and ERT Sat for news from Athens. So Im thinking Hellas Sat is better for me than the one im on now.

The last time i tried to set it I was on a ladder outside and my mate was in the living room , I set what sattalite I wanted and was turning the dish left and right until the signal strengh got to the max on the screen , not very professional but it worked even if it did take me hours !!!

Thanks for that I will invest in one .

Advertisement