Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Modifications and Insurance

• 29-08-2006 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at upgrading the brakes and discs on my car, seeing as my brakepads need changing and there's damage to one of my front disks (they passed NCT, but I don't like to take chances with brakes).

I'm looking to put EBC greenstuff pads and ATE Powerdisks on, which should improve the braking performance (going into a 1998 BMW 520i).

However, I understand that I have to inform my insurance company if I go ahead and do this.

Does anyone know what objections an insurance company might have to this, and how they might load my premium?

Any advice on what to do would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Follow up: after I posted this, I had the bright idea to ring my insurance company and ask them directly.

I told them that I had to replace disks and pads, and wanted to upgrade at the same time to improve the braking. Then I asked if it would effect my policy.
    They asked if I was doing any other mods or upgrades. When I said no, just the brakes, they said that that wouldn't be a problem at all.

Guess I should have asked them first. Sorry for wasting peoples time here.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The disks and pads would be designed for the car on the road and available from decent suppliers so I would not deem them to be a modification.
    I had the ATEs on my E30 - I found them brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The only mods that quinn direct ask about are those that increase acceleration or top speed. I presume most companies are they same? If anything upgraded brakes should lower your premium....in an ideal worl I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Just asked because insurance companies seem to load policies for any reason.

"Do you have a cat, sir?"
    "No"
    "That'll be a 5% loading on your policy then, sir"
    "In that case I'll get a cat"
    "That'll be a 20% loading so, sir"

Advertisement