Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinae Pigs Housing

Options
  • 29-08-2006 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Hi all .. looking for some advise

The Girlfriend has three guinae pigs, which she has in would could only be descrided As a large two Story hilton hutch that summers in the shade (n raised ) in the garden, with winter coming, they will be moved into the conservetory ( now i use that word sparingly as its more of a wall windows and a plastic roof) that they Wintered in last year, but in there smaller cages., What I would liek to know is , Would it be possible To have them in this Room its well ventilated and gets cold in the winter but not as bad outside but in a open topped cage.. with a covered nest box . like the indoor setups yoy see Around,, eg:
    http://www.diddly-di.fsnet.co.uk/piggy-care-housing.htm scroll down to teh indoor Section

any advise is great thanks

R

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Is the conseratory safe from cats/foxes etc. It is I would be inclined to use planks of wood and bricks to make them an enclosure then line with newspaper. That way you can control what shape and how big it can be.

When I had my guinepigs I kept them out for the winter, I brought them in occasionally when it snowed. Mine were in a decent home made hutch with a big run attached, not some shoddy over priced rickety cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

yup its very Safe, the hutch they have is 4 foot long ( I build this for her As she Wanted it for a birthday gift To her so ) 2 levels the top one side is the covered in den where they sleep. the Rest is a runing area and ramp dowen to the open play area which they run around and explore and get lots of exercise,

If they are coming into the Conversitory I will build them aan open cage maybe using that cube stuff you see on logs of guinea pig sights, And a proper bottem
    so wee etc cant seep into it.,, The question is realy As this room will get cold ( but not a cold As outside,, but has lots of ventilation) will they be ok in an open top cage with proper sleeping boxs naturely...

(apologies For the spelling )

Thanks..

I will take a pic of the hutch and See what I mean,

R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

You could always put something over the sleeping quarters, something as simple as a flattened cardboard box. If they`ve got plenty of hay and each other to snuggle up to they will be fine. How big will the sleeping quarters be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If the conservatory is totally enclosed and safe the cubes would be very handy and since they are only wintering the cubes would be a cheaper option, if you have the plastic basis of the cages fill them with hay it keeps the hay tidy and easier to clean.
    Argos sell the cubes and a bit of lino on the bottom does the trick, a few cardboard boxes, wee open hutches stuffed with hay will keep them warm. If the room gets very cold an oil filled radiator works wonders plus they are cheap to run. With the cubes you can make it any size you like, they will love it. The bigger the better for 3 piggies. You might need to reinforce the cubes with some cable ties but other than that they work great esp. if there are no other animals eg cats or dogs.It makes cleaning the pigs out better for her as well, she won'\t be battling the elements while scooping the poop.

Here's one 'we made earlier' lol
    pigpenextensionedited.jpg

You can use vet bed for extra comfort (they love it but it's a pain to clean).
    FudgeandPig.jpg

The cubes are great for haning the water bottle off and a hay rack helps to keep them tidy, although there's no such thing as a tidy guinea pig really lol.

Snuggle safe heat pads give extra warmth this is one of ours 'Pig' warming up on a heat pad after a bath.
    Pigonpad.jpg

They love wee houses too
    Fudgehs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

More options, if space is an issue you could go long.
    CandBone.jpg

Any size and shape
    candccage.jpg

Ok I'll stop now you get the idea lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement