Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Broadband Connections

Options
  • 29-08-2006 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I have recently got a 2meg DSL connection in to compliment my 2meg wireless connection. this means I have 2 Routers, one set on 192.168.0.250 and the other on 192.168.0.254. What i want to do is get my PC to spread the connection speeds of both the connections. Is this possible? I've tried adding the second gateway in the advanced options of the TCP/IP but it just uses the 1st gateway to access the net and not the other at all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

markdunne wrote:
    Hi guys. I have recently got a 2meg DSL connection in to compliment my 2meg wireless connection. this means I have 2 Routers, one set on 192.168.0.250 and the other on 192.168.0.254. What i want to do is get my PC to spread the connection speeds of both the connections. Is this possible? I've tried adding the second gateway in the advanced options of the TCP/IP but it just uses the 1st gateway to access the net and not the other at all.
    There isn't any simple, reliable way to do what you want to do without purchasing some significant hardware.

You can manually route certain traffic over one route rather than the other using the ROUTE command (in Windows - there'll be similiar commands in other OS's). But unless a significant proportion of your traffic goes to a small range of addresses, that probably won't help much (unless you spend half the day on boards.ie, of course ;) - you can give devote one of your connections to just that traffic).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

You can do this but you need a router to that can trunk and load balance the connections.
    Linksys do a few but they are classed as business class products - hence you most likely won't find them in PC World :)
    Sonicwall also do a few routers/firewalls that can do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

WizZard wrote:
    Linksys do a few but they are classed as business class products - hence you most likely won't find them in PC World :)
    Well that's not a problem. As a reseller, I can source linksys or sonicwall equipment direct from distributors. Any particular models come to mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Linksys RV082, RV016

Sonicwall 1260 will do the same, and it's also a 24 port switch. Not sure if any of the TZ range do what you need.

Ouch the RV082 is pricey enough... can't seem to find the RV016.
    Haven't got a price on the 1260 but knowing sonicwall stuff it'll be pricey too.
    I could always build a linux box and set it up for load balancing but that's be time consuming. Still plenty of options to consider.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

http://linux-ip.net/html/adv-multi-internet.html

Many tutorials on "routing multiple uplinks" on linux. There used to be kernel patches and fun so your right when you say its going to be time consumeing

If your not interested in having a pc do this use embedded linux on a WRAP or routerboard after a trial setup with a pc.

I already know how to do it, i have several WRAPs and routerboards running on the wireless link. (Forgot to mention, I'm the wireless ISP ;), the DSL is for redundancy really). a Mikrotik OS on a routerboard or even a PC with several NIC's in it would do the job nicely I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Have a look at the Xincom XC-DPG502, Not that expensive and does exactly what you want.

Advertisement