Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bad dye job

• 29-08-2006 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This gurl i'm seeing has prematurely grey hair.
    She's been dyeing it almost jet black for 10 yrs or more.
    This last time things went a bit wrong on the roots, they are sorta reddish.
    She tried to dye overtop it again but it didn't work at all.
    So my questions are:

- What can she do to cover over the bad part at the roots?
    - Isn't dyeing your hair generally bad for you (or at least your hair)?
    Maybe she should stop. Maybe i can convince her, shud I? How long is it ok to dye your hair 10 yrs seems like a long time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I think the best thing for your friend to do is to visit a hairdresser. They'll be able to advise and [most likely] fix the problem.

I can't answer your other questions I'm afraid... its up to her really to decide whether she wishes to continue dying her hair or not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I think it is bad for your hair.
    Getting her to stop is her choice, not many people enjoy going grey, so if dying her hair makes her happy, let her do it.

As to fix your current problem, visit a hairdresser, they'll know exaclty what to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

A lot of money and research has gone into developing colours which nurture hair and depending on the type of colour, whether it's properly applied and properly looked after, coloured hair can often be healthier than natural hair. I've been colouring my hair for the past 12 years (I've really abused it at times) and it's strong and healthy.

OP: If your gf can't fix the colour herself then the only options are to see a hairdresser or live with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Some place else that you could post something like this would be under Rec in the Fashion/Appearance forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭MW

If she uses a hair dye with no ammonia or peroxide in it, it won't damage her hair. What she could also possibly do, (I've heard it's quite painful though) is get her hair stripped in the hairdressers. It will bring it back to it's natural colour, then the hairdresser will dye over it for her properly, she should then probably continue to visit the hairdressers every 6-8 weeks to get her roots touched up, much easier that doing it at home, granted it's more expensive but she may want to soften the colour from black or something as well. It's worth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I've been dying my hair for the last 7yrs due to gray hairs. For years I did it on my own but over the last couple of years I have gone to a hairdresser.

You're OH should head to a hairdresser to fix her problem. Expect it not to be cheap especially if she goes to somewhere like peter marks or toni and guys. If she finds a local hairdresser they can often be an awful lot cheaper.

I can't see any reason why you would want to convince her to stop dying her hair. I mean she is obviously concerned about her gray hairs and if she stops dying her hair they will be horribly obvious and more than likely it will make your OH feel awful. My mother and aunts have been dying their hair for the last forty or so years as they all went completely gray in their early twenties. Their hair is fine.

I don't believe that stripping will be possible in this instance. After I had been dying my own hair for years I went to a hairdresser to see if I could have this done and they refused. They told me that there would be too much of a build up of colour in my hair for them to strip it.

I know it's not cheap but you're OH should concider going to a hairdresser to have it coloured in future.

A.

Advertisement