Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Burning Issue

Options
  • 29-08-2006 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

I have quite a bit of tree cuttings, old shrubs etc. and I've been trying to find out if it is illegal or not to burn it.

I can't seem to find a definitive answer. From what I can gather it's not technically illegal to burn the garden waste (not rubbish, just vegetation) but it is illegal to cause offense or excessive pollution through burning.

I've also heard stories of patrolling helicopters to prevent burning.

Can anyone clear it up for me?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,468 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a good summary of the legal situation here :-

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/env/BONFIRE.HTM

BTW, a good alternative is to buy/hire a good garden shredder. You wouldn't believe how much you can reduce the volume of a pile of cuttings to with one of these.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

If you're living in dense population you're not going to be popular. However if you're out in the country work away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Recently spoke to the English son of a guy who has a holiday home in the very back of beyond, way down in South Wexford (i.e. nearly in the sea). He was staying there for a few weeks and one day was burning weeds in his yard one day - not a huge pile either by all accounts - and a helicopter turned up and hovered for about 15 mins. Haven't spoken to him since so I don't know if he got a summons - but it goes to show that nowhere escapes the helicopter.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭damiand

Its illegal to burn waste, garden or otherwise. The idea of the shredder is good and you end up with a useful bi-product.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Shred it and compost it, or bring it to you local recylcing center. Here's the locations in Dublin that accept prunnings if its any help:

http://www.dublinwaste.ie/bring_bank.php?material%5B%5D=has_prunnings&search=Find

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

If you live in a rural area just burn it, and if you want to make sure you don't get into trouble wait a month or so until haloween then you can burn whatever you want and just call it a bonfire :D

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Thanks for the tips.

I'm actually in Wexford, so I best keep an eye out for the helicopter.

We hired a shredder before but it was just a glorified pencil sharpner. Granted they have got rid of it now because it was broken but they haven't got a new one in to rent yet.

All the rain, means I'll have to hold off for a bit anyway.
    damiand wrote:
    Its illegal to burn waste, garden or otherwise. The idea of the shredder is good and you end up with a useful bi-product.

Have you got a link or anything to show this? I'm not saying you're wrong, I just couldn't find it in black and white anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You could always try a chimenea.
    They are great for getting rid of sticks & branch cuttings, as long as you have them cut short enough to fit into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

My dad contacted Kildare County Council regarding burning.

He was told that the "helicopter" was nonsense, and they investigate burning through complaints from the public.
    He also said that burning tree cuttings & branches etc, is perfectly allowable as it releases the same pollutants as natural decomposing does, it is just quicker.

However, burning of other rubbish, e.g. rubber, styrofoam, plastic, etc. is illegal.

I am just quoting the conversation my dad had when he called them.

Advertisement