Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post through mail.iol.ie from behind firewall?

Options
  • 29-08-2006 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Anyone been able to send mail through mail.iol.ie from behind a firewall?

I can pick up my mail just fine (from pop.iol.ie, which resolves to the same address) through a SOCKS proxy, but it just times out when I try to send. Any way around it?

I'm currently using Mail.app on OSX 10.4.7, which uses the SOCKS proxy defined in the system preferences. I've also tried setting up my own tunnel using xinetd, but the results are identical.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I think it is not the firewall that is the issue, rather the proxy server that you seem to have to use.

You will need to check with the Administrator of the proxy server if he allows outbound SMTP traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

Unfortunately that doesn't appear to be the issue, as other people in the same office (and using the same proxy) can post through their ISPs' SMTP mail servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

At a guess this is because you can only send mail through an IOL smtp server if you're using an IOL IP.

An anti spam / mail relaying thing, innit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

pete wrote:
    At a guess this is because you can only send mail through an IOL smtp server if you're using an IOL IP.

An anti spam / mail relaying thing, innit.

Most likely.
    Try telnet to mail.iol.ie 25
    If you connect, its not a firewall/ACL problem. If can't, it most likely is!
    If you do connect, just try a simple relay but i'd be certain relaying for non iol IP's is off!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

azzeretti wrote:
    Try telnet to mail.iol.ie 25
    If you connect, its not a firewall/ACL problem. If can't, it most likely is!
    If you do connect, just try a simple relay but i'd be certain relaying for non iol IP's is off!

I have this problem right now, mail.iol.ie was working yesterday.

I get a "connect failed" when I try to telnet to mail.iol.ie (port 25).
    Tried it from another ISP & it still fails, don't think it's a firewall problem.

Can receive mail fine (from pop.iol.ie).

Anybody else have this problem?

• Advertisement
Advertisement