Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

exactly what it says on the tin? paint!!!

Options
  • 29-08-2006 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭

so i bought paint, thought it would look like the colour card.
    and of course i didnt bother with a tester because i am stupid.
    so its totally not the colour that i wanted.
    what can i do?
    they dont take paint back do they?
    i doubt i could even flog it on the for sale forum?!
    anybody want some paint?
    i feel very foolish :o
    catho

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

What paint was it? Emulsion/Oil based paint? What kind of can did it come in a 5litre/gallon plastic can or metal one? Did you get this colour mixed or was it straight from the shelf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Water based emulsion
    They mixed it up
    5 ltr metal can
    straight from the colourtrend factory wholesale shop in celbridge
    the colour is grape reflection.
    i thought it was going to be white with grape undertones.
    turned out to be grape full stop.

Oh dear! You got it mixed up.If it was off the shelf you would of had a good chance to clean can and return paint. Maybe bring it back and say they mixed up wrong colour or ask them can they add more colourants to the colour you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

mad m wrote:
    Oh dear! You got it mixed up.If it was off the shelf you would of had a good chance to clean can and return paint. Maybe bring it back and say they mixed up wrong colour or ask them can they add more colourants to the colour you want.

Yeah sounds like a f*ck up in the mix. If it's darker than you anticipated then adding more dyes won't ever make it paler.

If you have the swatch, then take a fingertip's worth of paint and dab it on the colour you chose. If it's out by more than a shade then they really should refund/replace for you...

However if it's a case of you thinking the colour is too dark when applied over a large area but it's the exact (or almost exact) colour on the swatch then you haven't got a leg to stand on.
    If I had a quid for everytime I heard someone say "Oh that's a lot darker than I thought it would be", I wouldn't be pushing a brush for a living...

Wertz wrote:
    If it's darker than you anticipated then adding more dyes won't ever make it paler.

A bucket of white would...:D Bring it back and do some spoofing...:)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

That has happened to me a few times!!! once it came out a completly different colour but I got it replaced in that instance.:(

If you have any white emulsion around the house or if you can't get a refund buy some white emulsion and add some of the grape colour to it gradually, stirring it until you reach the desired shade you wanted. I have done this to lighten colours and it does the trick... but you'll have problems getting that colour again when you want to repaint the room:(

artieanna

thats the first thing i did, mixed up some of the grape and white and it really didnt turn out nice :(
    Im so annoyed with myself i've decided the whole house is going to be brilliant white to prevent this happening again!!

i'll go back and see what they say, thanks for the advice!

phew! they took it back. turned out they'd mixed up the mix.

thanks for all the advice :)

Advertisement