Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skimming a wall?

Options
  • 29-08-2006 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭

Hey all just wondering if anyone could throw some advice my way. I recently had a new wardrobe fitted in the bedroom next to mine, to get this done part of my room had to be taken away :(

Anyway I’m looking now to sort out my room by getting this hideous looking thing skimmed over (If that’s the right term?). I’m planning on filling in a few other holes around the room and generally sanding down all the walls and re-painting. Painting/sanding is fine but what I’m wondering is if I could do the skimming myself or would I be better off getting somebody in to do it properly and what costs could I be looking at?
    Here are a few pics so you can see what I’m dealing with.

PIC 1
    As you can see already a few holes that need to be filled and sanded

PIC 2
    PIC 3
    Looks horrible doesn’t it

PIC 4
    The fact there is very little room between the original wall and the new part worries me. There won’t be much depth for a good skim, if you know what I mean.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well actually up to the last pic I was going to say you are doing well,it looks grand. Its a pity you couldnt of brought the wood lat near to original wall so that the plasterboard would of been flush with the original wall...

As for you thinking you havent left much for the skim,I think you have left loads as plaster with two coats is only around a couple of mil when put on.

But as far as you are now I think your doing a good job. You may as well finish the job now seeing as you have most of it done yourself.Get some scrim tape to put over the screw holes and then fill it with polyfiller or joint filler.As for the end of plasterboard get some plaster tape(metal inside it) put a thin layer of it at end of plasterboard and stick the tape onto it so that you get a nice edge at the right angle you have in Pic 2....

God Im rambling....Someone explain it clearer....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

To be honest I dont really want to do it myself for fear of making a mess. Is it a plasterer I would neeed to call to get this done?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well yes would be the answer, but as I said its a pity you didnt have plasterboard flush with original wall as all you would of had to do was tape and fill some joints/holes and sand down and paint.You would of never have know the difference.....

Goodluck with it....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Definitly get a plasterer in to skim it... He will get a fairly perfect smooth even finish on it. It's not a big job and he do it in a couple of hours. He will also mix the plaster to the right consistency without air bubbles and lump free.

My brother was qualified plasterer (before he got dermatitis from cement) and I've seen him work and even mixed for him few times, its not as simple as it looks!;) It be fierce if its done any way rough!!!:eek:

for the sake of a few quid get a quote and finish it well, trust me!!;) :)

artieanna

Advertisement