Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

antec p180 wc mod

• 29-08-2006 8:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭

ok i am starting to fall in love with this case and lonnbeimnech showed me this pro job of a dual rad fitted and i wanted 1 even more.so i was wondering would it be hard to mount the rad there and cut the whole ???

and was wonderin were would be a good place to put res,pump

P180_b_Inside.jpg

heres some pics of rad placeing

P180_WC_01.jpg
    P180_WC_02.jpg
    P180_WC_04.jpg
    P180_WC_05.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Nah will be easy and straight forward, just make a cardboard template first though, and all should go grand, hope you have a dremel though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ya gota buy 1 :D

also anyone wana buy a cm stacker not a 100% shure tho if i will do it :)

yeah ill take it, as long as its in good nick, and you arnt asking a fortune for it, drop me a pm when you plan to sell it mate :

**EDIT**

offer pulled out as 51€ delivery is a bit much for me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Im also going from a stacker to a p180. I was going to watercool mine but the total for the PC was €2150 without watercooling so i decided to leave the WC out...

ordered a p180 last night.anyone want a cm stacekr.

and also got a dremal and a grid what else will i need

• Advertisement

found this very handy.

but think i might put the pump on the middle platform not any bottom im think of the best tidyest way(less wires)

any ideas??

Beatfreak from overclocking.ie did the mod with the rad in the middle of the front of the case, very nice looking. Shame www.overclocking.ie is down or you could see it.

would tihs me the best way to do it no sharp conoers for tubing to take.

pretty much yeah, even though i would mount the rad outside for better cooling

want to keep it in side.make it look cool :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

black one is nice imo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I had that case, bought it new n sold it 4 days ltr.. Case is smaller than it looks, Ur sketch that u did has a few flaws..

U loose out on all but 1 of ur 5 1/4" bays, It seems ur going pump>gfx>rad>cpu>res.. Better to go pump>res>rad>cpu>gpu, u'll have to use 3/8"/10mm tubing.. U'd never get 1/2" tubing in that space and last of all its gonna be a nightmare to work on it..

The case is designed to work with air cooling, get urslef an arctic cooler for X1800XT and a freezer 64 for the cpu n u'll be getting damn close to the temps ur getting with ur WC kit.... and it'll be quiet too.. That was the best thing about that case, its so damn quiet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

I gotta agree with the above post, the case is designed in such a way that it suits air cooling. There's not that much room in the case despite it's size, can be hard to navigate the cables around the case. So if you got thicker water cooling tubes mixed with the psu (assuming a high voltage psu) then you could be looking at limited and complicated spacing. Which is a shame cause it's a quality case. I have one :D

unklerosco wrote:
    I had that case, bought it new n sold it 4 days ltr.. Case is smaller than it looks, Ur sketch that u did has a few flaws..

U loose out on all but 1 of ur 5 1/4" bays, It seems ur going pump>gfx>rad>cpu>res.. Better to go pump>res>rad>cpu>gpu, u'll have to use 3/8"/10mm tubing.. U'd never get 1/2" tubing in that space and last of all its gonna be a nightmare to work on it..

The case is designed to work with air cooling, get urslef an arctic cooler for X1800XT and a freezer 64 for the cpu n u'll be getting damn close to the temps ur getting with ur WC kit.... and it'll be quiet too.. That was the best thing about that case, its so damn quiet

I was always under the impression that pumpin straight into the res was a terrible idea because it'd churn a lot more air into the loop in a high flow system ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I thought it was res->pump->rad->cpu->gpu->res?
    Or res->pump->cpu->gpu->rad->res, or am I missing the point of having a res in the first place?
    Surely pumping into a res is going to lose alot of pressure? And wouldn't it be better to dump the heat from the water either before the waterblocks or directly afterwards? or with a 2nd rad between each hot spot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

res->pump->rad->cpu->gpu->res

Thats the ideal.. I was just going by his layout.

kk, was worried for a sec.

And then the apathy of someone without the immediate disposable income to purchase such kit set in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yep, pump into res is a bad idea. You can mount the rad anywhere along the loop really, most people prefer to put it in straight after the pump but before the cpu block as then the coolest water is hitting your cpu first. Remember that a pump puts a fair bit of heat into the loop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

gotta say i love the case it is a little small to fit nvidia 7950's in it and big cpu coolers however its alot bigger than most cases and because of its plain subtle design it looks smaller than it actually is imo. that guy did a nice job mountin the wc rad to the top of the case it looks great

krazy_8s wrote:
    Remember that a pump puts a fair bit of heat into the loop.
    Does that apply to all [electro-mechanical] pumps on the market or are there any others? eg. piezoelectric?

A pre- and post- waterblock rad stage might be advisable so? even a single 120mm rad for the pre- and the usual dual/triple for the post?

• Advertisement

SyxPak wrote:
    Does that apply to all [electro-mechanical] pumps on the market or are there any others? eg. piezoelectric?

A pre- and post- waterblock rad stage might be advisable so? even a single 120mm rad for the pre- and the usual dual/triple for the post?

Its not advisable to have 2 rads in a loop due to the pressure drop required for a rad to work. Hence the rise of triple and dual rads rather than a few singles dotted around the case.

ok what about this anyone got any t lines spare ??.

p180binsidele4.jpg

that hdd cage will be removed.

gotcha.

So there are no biomass-powered repulsion jets on the market I take it?

foo :/

options :confused:

awhir wrote:
    options :confused:

The top point on the pump is the exit, side is the inlet. Think about it.

Syspak, no there are no really fancy pumps out due to price/heat concerns. A few people in the states use large Iwaki pumps, but at the size of a rugby ball I cant really see much value in them.

I've seen a cooling system that circulated a liquid metal alloy, that one was a magnetic propulsion pump.

I think someone on XS bought it on eBay, ripped out of some military grade Xeon system or something.

so is this fine ???

p180binsidejv6.th.jpg

I've seen a cooling system that circulated a liquid metal alloy, that one was a magnetic propulsion pump.

I think someone on XS bought it on eBay, ripped out of some military grade Xeon system or something.

http://www.techpowerup.com/?3105

SyxPak wrote:

Not what I was thinking of, but I had seen that nano cool thing before.

• Advertisement

awhir wrote:
    so is this fine ???

p180binsidejv6.th.jpg

Yeah, now what are the actual componants going to be though?

Advertisement