Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is RTE/TV on Lidl sat box? NO! + Misc.

• 29-08-2006 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭

I remember RTE had a ads with the tag line "free to air". Are they FTA in the BBC sense or is it meant to be interpreted differently.
    My dad bought and set up the Lidl sat box but doesn't know how to get RTE/TV3. Suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Nope, they're most definately not FTA in that sense. Maybe they meant it in a terrestrial sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They meant analogue terrestrial, as that was all they had at the time.

A technomate combined DTT/DSAT receiver is your best bet for RTE+TV3+TG4+FTA satellite on one EPG in your location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

the only RTÉ available FTA is the radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Wex1

MYOB wrote:
    They meant analogue terrestrial, as that was all they had at the time.

A technomate combined DTT/DSAT receiver is your best bet for RTE+TV3+TG4+FTA satellite on one EPG in your location.

Can you tell me more about that technomate - we have one and can't seem to pick up f.A. on it - installer ripped us off as he doesn't seem to know f all about it either! We have 2 dishes, technomate decoder and are linked to hotbird and astra 2. Can we get RTE on this, cause if not we gotta spend loads of (more) money on outdoor aerials! Already spend nearly €800 on a system that we didn't really want in first place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

register with Alsat forums for all info on technomate recievers,loaders firmware etc.
    they guys and gals on there are very helpful in answering all newbie questions!
    I have a technomate 1500 CI+ and its a great job!
    sorrry to hear that you got ripped!
    hope this helps
    j
    PS what i would get is a motor and a single LNB that way you can pick up more that 2 satellites!
    who is the guy that ripped you off,post it up so others will not get stung!
    I got a lad from latvia who has a shop in the back of the Liosban estate to hook up my system for 70€ 2 1/2 hours work complete with motor!
    pass it on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Wex1

Thanks J
    Newbie I am, well spotted - have a mate who reckons he knows a lot but that's what got us in this mess.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wex1 wrote:
    Can you tell me more about that technomate - we have one and can't seem to pick up f.A. on it - installer ripped us off as he doesn't seem to know f all about it either! We have 2 dishes, technomate decoder and are linked to hotbird and astra 2. Can we get RTE on this, cause if not we gotta spend loads of (more) money on outdoor aerials! Already spend nearly €800 on a system that we didn't really want in first place!

That'd be a satellite only receiver. RTE are not free on satellite. Technomate do a line of receivers that can get DTT, if you live in Dublin, North Kildare, Meath or Louth you should be able to get RTE on DTT with a decent external aerial.

With your setup you should get the BBC, ITV, FilmFour, Sky News, CNN, Rapture, True Movies, Zone Reality and similar on 28E; and on 13E, BBC World, Arirang, Russia Today and similar (e.g. world news channels) in English.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Wex1 wrote:

You were well ripped of paying €800 that would be more than double you pay anywhere for 2 dishes a receiver and a switch fitted. Post up his name so other people wont get ripped off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Re DTT.
    The DTT is TRIALS!!! It may be MPEG4 at time and other settings that do not work on a basic DTT receiver. Ensure first you have ANALOGUE aerial reception.

On satellite ONLY a Irish subscription to sky (all foutr channesl) or N.I. sub (no TV3) on a Digibox will work for TV, though the radio works. Also teletext works on a FTA receiver (non-Sky Digibox).

For the majority of people in Ireland only an outdoor aerial gives good picture, many areas need UHF and VHF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

Don't bother with new equipment - it actually would have been cheaper if you just got Sky. If you really want RTE, those €2 for everything shops sell those "rabbit ears" for ... oh ... i dunno ... €2 maybe???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

scaller wrote:
    You were well ripped of paying €800 that would be more than double you pay anywhere for 2 dishes a receiver and a switch fitted. Post up his name so other people wont get ripped off

You should have gone for a Sky dish, 2 boxes and a variety sub for both. 2 or 3 of those Lidl dishes would do exactly the same thing as the load of stuff you have now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Don't bother with new equipment - it actually would have been cheaper if you just got Sky. If you really want RTE, those €2 for everything shops sell those "rabbit ears" for ... oh ... i dunno ... €2 maybe???
    Have a set of those 2 euro rabbit ears myself,excellent product,very nice picture on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭BHG

watty wrote:
    On satellite ONLY a Irish subscription to sky (all foutr channesl) or N.I. sub (no TV3) on a Digibox will work for TV, though the radio works. Also teletext works on a FTA receiver (non-Sky Digibox).

i got a 'smart rapido 2' today, it does not handle the teletext too well on RTE. CNN text seems solid, except I have not found how to blackout the background, its in the mix (sorted a similar problem on the technomate with transparency or was that my Manhattan?)

No RTE on FTA satellite is a shame, does anyone think RTE are for turning on this issue? re: rip off; 4 years I got a motorised system, around 550 euro, shop in D9 wanted 1100 to fit same. I was fun to fit, but I wouldn't pay myself 550 for two hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

daymobrew wrote:
    I remember RTE had a ads with the tag line "free to air". Are they FTA in the BBC sense or is it meant to be interpreted differently.
    My dad bought and set up the Lidl sat box but doesn't know how to get RTE/TV3. Suggestions?

That was an ad gimmick when adverstising live sporting events that RTE covered

A gimmick. it is "free to air" on an Analog TV aerial. As far as RTE is concerd no-one is interested in FTA Satelliite. It is a wireless version of Cable, only those with Multichannel Pay TV subscription use satellit.

I'm paraphrasing, but it is gist of the emails and phone conversations.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Smeagol

As far as RTE is concerd no-one is interested in FTA Satelliite.
    Isn't it time then to let them know?

you wont get anything changes for at least 2 years. the contract RTÉ have with Sky runs until 2008

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I have found that Aertél (RTÉ's Teletext service is not encrypted) which could come in handy if you have a decent enough terrestrial service but your Aertel shows up all gobbldygook as mine usually does. The Lidl Recevier also has it's own teletext if the TV you are using does not have it eg. old model etc. Good little set and I am happy with my purchase. 120 sold out in Killarney before 8.30 yesterday morning. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Whats so good about he lidl setup?I really cant understand the demand for them.Isnt the dish small?
    I was tempted to get one for my cousin but decided instead on one of these http://www.corksat.com/index.php?cName=kits .

Should i have gone for the lidl one?Which one is technically better?

Is it possible to get a cheap reciever which takes the rte aerial like the sky one does?He wants fta with rte.

Regards,

Kieran

The Sky satellite receiver does NOTHING with a TV aerial.

You can use a TV aerial with your TV with any sat receiver.

The system last week had a larger dish the the two previous systems.

Maplin still have a system on offer at €134

www.satellite.ie sell complete systems or part.

A good receiver on its own is from 80 Euro. Some of the Strong modles have an RF aerial loop and modulator like Sky, but you do NOT need this at all for RTE!

• Advertisement

No,What i mean is he needs a reciever which has a rf in and out so that he can watch the channels in a different room though it be the same channel when he wants.
    Instead of having tv aerial all over the house,connected to reciever would suffice.

Re.The corksat one,why would i go to maplins if this is available in cork?Is there a problem with it?Would like to know your opinion before i purchase.

Regards,

Kieran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

He can get FTA with RTE just by connecting the aerial directly to the tv, you can also get good FTA receivers with RF loopthrough so you can send the RTE signal together with the satellite output to another Tv.

kmb wrote:
    Whats so good about he lidl setup?I really cant understand the demand for them.Isnt the dish small?
    I was tempted to get one for my cousin but decided instead on one of these http://www.corksat.com/index.php?cName=kits .

Should i have gone for the lidl one?Which one is technically better?

Is it possible to get a cheap reciever which takes the rte aerial like the sky one does?He wants fta with rte.

Regards,

Kieran

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote:
    He can get FTA with RTE just by connecting the aerial directly to the tv, you can also get good FTA receivers with RF loopthrough so you can send the RTE signal together with the satellite output to another Tv.[/QUOTE]

Hi Tony,

Yes its the rf loopthrough i am after.Do you do these and whats the model no.Price etc.

Pm me if you wish.

Kind Regards,

Kieran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 skyhigh

:confused: Have Lidl sl65 I can't get BBC,ITV, english channels but can get lots of german tv.... I am sure im pointing to Astra 28E as a serch brings up a list with bbc etc, but has no signal but every german station under the sun...
    Can anyone help??

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

skyhigh wrote:
    :confused: Have Lidl sl65 I can't get BBC,ITV, english channels but can get lots of german tv.... I am sure im pointing to Astra 28E as a serch brings up a list with bbc etc, but has no signal but every german station under the sun...
    Can anyone help??
    I'm no expert myself but it sounds to Me like You are pointed at astra 19E. I also have the Lidl box and have Astra 28 & Hotbird tuned using a Diseqc switch. If You go to channel 1 on astra 28e which is BBC1 and press the info button on the remote then press 1 for a tone that will help You lock onto the satellite You are looking for. If You are picking up Astra 19E at the moment which it sounds like You are then You got to turn the Dish slightly to the left (ie North) and as far as I can remember the elevation will have to be lowered very slightly too. Looking at the tip of the LNB Id say go left about 2-3 Inches and down about 1 inch. I've been playing around with all 3 sats in the last few Days and being finding them easy enough..

I agree, sounds like you are pointed at astra 1, very easy mistake to make as the transponders are very similar

• Registered Users Posts: 24 xocal

Have a set of those 2 euro rabbit ears myself,excellent product,very nice picture on it.

I don't know about the €2 rabbits ears, but I have an old set plugged into the TV socket, and Satellite sys plugged into control box, and it's only a matter of using the switch button on the Sat zapper to move between the terrestial and the satellite channels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

Mossy Monk wrote:
    the only RTÉ available FTA is the radio

Ummm and their TV if one lives in the parts of NI (and Wales) that can get it terrestrially :D

As far as anyone else is concerned calling it "free to air" is blatent false advertising

As far as anyone else is concerned calling it "free to air" is blatent false advertising

I agree but nobody has yet taken a complaint to the ASAI .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Mossy Monk wrote:
    you wont get anything changes for at least 2 years. the contract RTÉ have with Sky runs until 2008

There is another problem besides the Sky contract. Being encrypted prevents viewers outside Ireland viewing RTÉ's programmes. If RTÉ were free to air, chances are that a lot of viewers in the UK would start tuning it in to see programmes that are broadcast on RTÉ before UK channels. This would inevitably lead to complaints for UK broadcasters and would put the whole rights buying situation for UK/Ireland in jeapordy.

Before anyone mentions the BBC, the BBC being available in Ireland only adds another 5% of viewers, and has already been factored in when dealing with Irish broadcasters. RTÉ being available in the UK adds (conservatively) over 500% to RTÉ prospective viewership. RTÉ would start being asked to buy UK rights - and pay UK rates - for the programming it buys, which it might not be able to afford.

Upshot is that if RTÉ ever is free to air, expect to see a lot of programming blacked out (basically, practically all recent imports).

Great post, they only way i see this changing is if RTE come under pressure from advertisers if the viewing figures ever drop as a result of people all turning to satellite. RTe may then look to do some kind of fudge where they show all the american shows after the UK broadcasters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the geeks informed observers over on DigitalSpy reckon RTE will be launching an extra satellite service aimed at the UK - this will feature only home-produced stuff. Won't be until 2009 though and no word on whether it'll be FTA.

loyatemu wrote:
    the geeks informed observers over on DigitalSpy reckon RTE will be launching an extra satellite service aimed at the UK - this will feature only home-produced stuff. Won't be until 2009 though and no word on whether it'll be FTA.

It is something RTÉ themselves have said. So they would be right on Digitalspy on that respect.. The question now is when as nobody knows. That 2009 is a figure plucked from the sky.

loyatemu wrote:

Cant really see it being encrypted as it would cost a lot of money and theres no need if its home produced stuff.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

But there is a possibility that Sky entice them onto the encryption, for maybe free EPG placement or something. However, I suppose with Freesat launched by then, it would be a foolish move perhaps on the part of RTE (maybe buy no EPG placement on Sky, and get a placement on Freesat instead?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Dars

i believe there are no plans in the future to go FTA with RTE or TV3, it is too expensive to do so as at the moment they arte on SKY's satellite transponder and to go FTA they'd have to rent there own which in such a small market isn’t of financial benefit seeing as terrestrial is available to almost 100% of the country.
    The DTT trials that are taking place from both Threerock in the Dublin mountains and on Clermont Carn just off the border north of Dundalk are currently broadcasting 4 Mux's, 1 of which is FTA "MUX1" and has the 4 terrestrial services on it along with the RTE Radios and Today FM. the other 3 mux's are conditional access only using cards supplied by the Dept of Coms.
    these are all Mpeg 2 except MUX 4 which is outputting a HD service containing various HD programming played from a Server to the headend in BT Citywest. This trial will be expanded nationwide in the new year, millions of Euro in transmission equipment has been purchased and installation will begin in January 08. It is still unsure if the current format will be used (Mpeg2+4), MHP my be an option.

So i'm told anyway...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Dars wrote:
    This trial will be expanded nationwide in the new year, millions of Euro in transmission equipment has been purchased and installation will begin in January 08. It is still unsure if the current format will be used (Mpeg2+4), MHP my be an option.

While talking about DTT in the Satellite forum is blatantly off topic, I can't help but question where you heard about national DTT rollout in January 2008! From what I've gathered so far, is that after the trial ends next year, nobody knows what's going to happen.

I know an RTENL engineer, and when I mentioned DTT to him, he reckoned he couldn't see it happening inside the next few years.

Going back to satellite, the only RTE channel I can forsee being FTA on satellite, would be a "best of" RTE channel, with only RTE-made/commissioned programming where rights wouldn't be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 teesee

BHG wrote: »
    i got a 'smart rapido 2' today, it does not handle the teletext too well on RTE. CNN text seems solid, except I have not found how to blackout the background, its in the mix (sorted a similar problem on the technomate with transparency or was that my Manhattan?)

No RTE on FTA satellite is a shame, does anyone think RTE are for turning on this issue? re: rip off; 4 years I got a motorised system, around 550 euro, shop in D9 wanted 1100 to fit same. I was fun to fit, but I wouldn't pay myself 550 for two hours.

Just acquired Rapido2 recently, but without instruction manual. Can't figure how to save selected channels to 'favourites'. Anybody help me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭John mac

this thread is over 5 years old ! what does the manual say?

Advertisement