Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a Lawn!

Options
  • 29-08-2006 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

We are just finishing our self-build. Site is 2.75 acres and we want to lay it all to lawn for the moment.

Today - it is totally overgrown with grass (about 3 ft high) with big mounds of earth and various pieces of metal/blocks/plastic hidden in the grass - it's like a little treasure hunt!!

So how do I get this to lawn?? I thinking it's too unlevel for a farmer to plough - do I need to get a machine in and flatten it and then get him to turn the sod so that the long grass is on the bottom???

Any ideas gratefully appreciated!

Pitstop

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

there is quite a bit of work ahead.....You will need to get a digger in to level mounds and to bury large rocks and building debris, then get someone to plough it so all the Long grass is dug up (wild grass) . Then the stones have to be removed by rotovator or by hand (hard work) and finally you seed it, try to rake out any weeds before seeding and voilla you will have your lovely lawn..

When buying grass seed buy in bulk from a farmers store (cheaper for large areas) and buy grass seed suitable for either wear and tear or ornamental (not able to withstand much abuse).

good luck
    artieanna

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I'm not long finished doing the same pitstop. Heres what I did.

I had a huge store of topsoil that had been dug out when we first broke ground. The grass/weeds were about 3Ft high.

First I sprayed the grass/weeds to kill off the roots with Roundup. After 4 weeks this was all dead but still standing up so a couple of Brush cutters (like strimmer but with a blade instead of nylon string) cut it down.

Next I got a 12Tn tracked excavator and dump trailer to spread and grade all the topsoil over the site. I buried all the rubbish at the same time. You might need to plough and harrow if you dont have a store of topsoil.

This was then harrowed, raked and stone picked (I got someone with the equipment in to do it).

The grass seed was put out and three weeks of gentle rain later I have a fine lawn.

Its hard work but apparently its a good time of year to be sowing grass so best of luck with it.

Edit: Someone told me later that I should have left sowing the grass seed for a few weeks so that the weeds would germinate and could be killed by roundup so you might consider this if time permits.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭pitstop

Guys

Thanks for answers - this is a great help. Lots of work so!!

Here's hoping I'm seeing greenery sometime soon!!

Pitstop

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Sorry to butt in,
    Is it ok to leave a couple of dogs run around on a newly seeded lawn, or should I section it off.

Cheers

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Xennon wrote:
    Sorry to butt in,
    Is it ok to leave a couple of dogs run around on a newly seeded lawn, or should I section it off.

Cheers
    Thats a definite no-no, espcially for its long term development.

• Advertisement
Advertisement