Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would u be better off doing the NCT without getting the car serviced?

• 29-08-2006 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

Just wondering because lots of people I know have done the NCT after getting their motors serviced and they have still failed and had to pay additional monies to sort out the issues that failed the car, so I was thinking bring my car in get the NCT done, I would have a list of the issues it failed for then get it serviced with the list of issues that needed sorting and then get it re-tested, I reckon I would save some monies doing it that way

What do folks think???

Romero :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

yup, that's what I did, and it passed first time:D

But anyway, it's definitely a money saver alright. It will basically cost you I think it's €27 for a re-test and you will get an honest list of what needs to be taken care of off the testers, get it fixed come back and you'll be sure to pass. Depending on the mechanic, you could be told you need a few hundred worth of fixes and they may even miss out on something. Definitely the most economical way through the NCT :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Cost of retest vs 2nd visit to mechanic. No contest IMO. Could be something you could do yourself too.

That said I keep the car maintained regardless of the NCT. I just don't do anything special for the NCT. If they find something so be it. If its a late appointment, its just takes 30mins, don't have to take time off work. Whereas bring a car to a mechanic is awkward, and is a lot more involved, for me at least. Besides the NCT is a bit of a lottery, though I've had no stupid stuff recently so I shouldn't moan about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,309 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My car is due it's first NCT next April and the only things I plan on getting done before hand are the tracking and maybe the headlight alignment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd also only get something looked at before the test if I thought it would fail my car. For my last NCT I just checked everything that I could myself before hand - it passed fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

bazz26 wrote:
    My car is due it's first NCT next April and the only things I plan on getting done before hand are the tracking and maybe the headlight alignment.

The tracking is not tested for the NCT so no need to have it fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    The tracking is not tested for the NCT so no need to have it fixed.

Tipsey, the tracking is checked through a wheel alignment/sideslip test. If your tracking is off, or if you have worn/damaged steering components (track rod end joints) you'll fail the sideslip test.

If you think your tracking is off (car pulling to one side, or car driving straight but steering wheel looks like the car is turning slightly, or uneven tyre wear), its worth getting the tracking checked.

Before you go down this road, if your car is pulling to one side, check the pressures are correct in the tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I never get a car serviced before the NCT. But I do check simple things like bulbs, tyres, etc. Be sure that all your rear seat belt recievers are visible.

Darragh29, The NCT don't specifically check the front wheel track. I take your point that if any steering component is worn/damaged the sideslip test will highlight this. But if the tracking is simply out of alignment it will not be detected in an NCT. If the tracking has been out for some time it may show through uneven tyre wear.

Advertisement