Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like Sligo is getting a Curry's store

Options
  • 30-08-2006 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭

I was up the Retail Park in Sligo this evening just having a look at Reid furniture when I glanced over up and to the left and saw a sign on one of the empty units saying that Currys was opening soon! (I hope that is 'the' Currys Electrical superstore and not some other kind of Currys!)

I was quite surprised because I never heard they were setting up shop in Sligo and if thats correct then thats brilliant. Our only other nearest Currys store is miles away in Galway and Enniskillen.

its funny peculiar though that ARGOS was turned down from setting up at the retail park but it looks like Currys has got the go-ahead.

Anyway i cant wait for it to open and although there is no indication of a date of opening surely it must be opening this side of Christmas I should imagine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

My parents bought a fridge in Currys in Enniskillen and paid €70 to have it delivered. Last week. Doh!

Currys must have slipped through officialdoms net. Won't the council get a shock when they see what they've granted planning for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Yea they will , shops like that will corrupt the youth of Sligo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

gustavo wrote:
    Yea they will , shops like that will corrupt the youth of Sligo!

the youth of Sligo have already been corrupted! :)

magnumlady wrote:
    the youth of Sligo have already been corrupted! :)

It wasn't me. Honest :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Aside: Is argos definitely not coming?
    I'm not up with news and such.
    If they are not, that is a disgrace...

• Advertisement

Last I heard they weren't coming. They were not allowed to move into the retail park and were offered a couple of other locations which they found unsuitable. I get the feeling from the papers that they were unimpressed with their treatment and weren't going to locate any old place to help the borough council and the chamber of commerce out of the hole they'd dug for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Strange goings on about Sligo then. I thought those type of activities were in Donegal only.

It seems a bit strange that a store like Currys can locate in a particular area but Argos cant

It's hard to enforce a blanket ban when you really haven't a legal leg to stand on. The Argos decision was taken due to pressure from traders in the town center. They tried to dress it up with all sorts of reasons, but put simply, they banned clothes shops, small household goods (Argos) and grocery shops from locating out of town, in an effort to keep shoppers in the town. I'm not making this up.They only let furniture stores, A toy shop and a computer shop locate at the Carraroe development. If you need to do your grocery shopping in Sligo, there's no convienient shop on the edge of town like Carrick-On-Shannon or Donegal town or wherever. You have to go to the middle of town and pay for parking. This leads to the massive traffic congestion, which, since changing the traffic system again, has elevated Sligo to a regular spot on A.A. roadwatch. How far we've come :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭MrShadow

I would settle for an Aldi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

in the champion it had an ad for staff, but it said it'd be in collooney. i work in the carraroe retail park and i never heard it'd be there

• Advertisement

JIZZLORD wrote:
    in the champion it had an ad for staff, but it said it'd be in collooney. i work in the carraroe retail park and i never heard it'd be there
    If the banner is still there its next to Reid furniture store. As you are looking at Reids just look at the unit to the left and above the door where the door shelter is.

so as you enter the retail park and you have Homebase on the extreme right the Currys sign is on the last unit extreme left of the units there next to Reids.

Where do you work up the Retail Park or would you rather not say?

muffler wrote:
    Strange goings on about Sligo then. I thought those type of activities were in Donegal only.

It seems a bit strange that a store like Currys can locate in a particular area but Argos cant

A quote from this weeks Sligo weekender:

What can be sold: Items that can be sold at Carraroe under the terms of the Sligo and Environs Development Plan are; non-food, non-clothing large scale goods, such as furniture, bulky white electrical goods, gardening and DIY products and toys.

What can't be sold; Items restricted from sale from retail warehousing include grocery and food items (including alcohol), footwear, clothing, books, magazines, mobile phones, music items (CDs etc), toiletries, china, jewellery, gifts and leather goods. End Quote.

The Chamber of Commerce voted unanimously to oppose the planned new Carraroe development Quote"in line with it's policy,"which concurs with 'best practice' policy worldwide"" End quote.

You couldn't make it up. I'm suprised people stand for this sort of s##te.Time to bump up the "Sligo. Worst run town in Ireland" thread :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

dont Toy City sell cd's

SSSHH. Don't say that. The heavies will be sent in to smash the place up like a speakeasy during prohibition :D

gustavo wrote:
    dont Toy City sell cd's

Don't PC World up there sell CD's ;) or maybe the PC CD's are exempt. Snip>..................<Snip Cant put them on the shelves because they will be violating the plan and the heavies will come in and smash the place up and they will have to be hounded out of Sligo in shame :)

il gatto wrote:
    A quote from this weeks Sligo weekender:
    What can't be sold; Items restricted from sale from retail warehousing include grocery and food items (including alcohol), footwear, clothing, books, magazines, mobile phones, music items (CDs etc), toiletries, china, jewellery, gifts and leather goods. End Quote.

Blimey there are a lot breaking the rules up there already. Food Items: Homebase have got a food vending machine and there is a little cafe selling food items in Instore! - Books and magazines Blimey I think you can buy Books in PC World on how to fix your PC and how to use a PC and then in Homebase you can get some DIY Books.

Music Items: Toy City sell lots of music Items like organs etc.. and shock horror :eek: I think you can get some kids music CD's and Karaoke CD's up there!

Toletries: well I haven't seen any of them but Homebase sell Toilets :) also in Homebase they sell loo fresheners and household cleaning products and there is nothing stopping people using them as toiletries if they want!

China: Homebase sell plates that you eat off (I presume they are china) and bathroom Suites (which are china).

Jewelry: Homebase sell those large galvanised link chains and Bathroom sink plugs (Chrome and brass!) and you can wear them as jewelry if you want.

Gifts: well loads of Gifts to be had in every shop up there, Buy a new gift of a PC or ipod for someone out of PC World or get them a power tool out of Homebase.....

Leather Goods: blow me if the land of leather store up there aint doing Leather Sofas which I presume are made out of leather! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

magnumlady wrote:

Where do you work up the Retail Park or would you rather not say?

i worked the other side of the park, but i've been off for the last week and a half so i never seen a banner

I think the fact that there's been so many holes picked in the planning laws already, show what a ridiculous and ill thought out load of cr#p it was.

Advertisement