Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Content Management

Options
  • 30-08-2006 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi,
    Can anyone recommend a good content management package. www.rahenyshamrock.com is a site i administrator(this verision isnt mine). We currently looking into an upgrade. What were looking for is so that the PRO can upload news stories easily and all users can upload pictures.

We using mambo at the minute...which is crap imo. I know its free!
    Also would preference to have the site written in html, due mainly to uploading results etc.

Any advice please?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I always though mambo was bollocks tbh, you'd probably be best off just using wordpress and fleshing it out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cianuro

Why do you think Mambo is Crap?
    Mambo/Joomla are some of the best, world class content management systems out there. I use Mambo for about 20 sites.

yours seems to have just a pretty basic install. You can use the built in wrapper to display your results or get a custom coded module for updating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

never liked joomla/mambo...too much bloat and not enough functionality on the default installation imo

A CMS should be lightweight. I'd go for either Wordpress or Drupal. Nice and small and a lot easier to design layouts for.

You can spot a Joomla/Mambo site in an instant /generalisation

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

cianuro wrote:
    Why do you think Mambo is Crap?
    Mambo/Joomla are some of the best, world class content management systems out there. I use Mambo for about 20 sites.
    Perhaps it's just me, but they're quite inaccessible for a new user or someone with only one website. The admin interface isn't very intuitive, and there's very little in the way of help while you're working on it. Granted, it's a community effort, but it's so polished and stable you think they'd make it easier than having to read the entire manual before you can begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Personally I suggest Typo3. We use this on most of our client sites and find it very easy to use.

I have to admit, it's not lightweight and when you are starting out, it's a pretty big learning curve.

But, in saying that, it's a very very powerful CMS that gives a developer a lot of control.

www.typo3.org

Tom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

www.xoops.org

Have a look through the modules section a child can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

tomED wrote:
    Personally I suggest Typo3. We use this on most of our client sites and find it very easy to use.

I have to admit, it's not lightweight and when you are starting out, it's a pretty big learning curve.

But, in saying that, it's a very very powerful CMS that gives a developer a lot of control.

www.typo3.org

Tom
    I'd have to agree. It's really powerful and flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

CuLT wrote:
    I always though mambo was bollocks tbh, you'd probably be best off just using wordpress and fleshing it out a bit.
    from what I have seen - you would have to have an idea of a php to get it to not look like blogging software.

I would go with either Drupal or Joomla. I have used Joomla alot and find it excellent but I have yet to try drupal - I hear great things about it. Typo3 is very impressive alright but takes a long time to get the hand of.
    DaveH wrote:
    We using mambo at the minute...which is crap imo.
    What makes it crap?
    DaveH wrote:
    Also would preference to have the site written in html, due mainly to uploading results etc.
    Please explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

try SOeditor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

i happen to like textpattern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

axer wrote:
    from what I have seen - you would have to have an idea of a php to get it to not look like blogging software.

I would go with either Drupal or Joomla. I have used Joomla alot and find it excellent but I have yet to try drupal - I hear great things about it. Typo3 is very impressive alright but takes a long time to get the hand of.

What makes it crap?

Please explain.

We organise a few big races every year. The software that produces the results produces over say 2000 results "finish no. Race no. Name. Club. time) in a basic HTML document. That why I have that preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

There's another vote for Drupal here - very nice system, I've found.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

DaveH wrote:
    We organise a few big races every year. The software that produces the results produces over say 2000 results "finish no. Race no. Name. Club. time) in a basic HTML document. That why I have that preference.
    You can copy and paste the html into the wysiwyg editors that come with joomla and drupal.

Advertisement