Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to train a budgie?

Options
  • 30-08-2006 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

I got a budgie 5 months ago but can't seem to hand train him, he's about 6 months old and quite shy, (not nervous) I'd love to get him to land on my hand/head etc. but just can't, if I put my hand in his cage he moves as far away as possible although I do it regularly and slowly, no sudden or jerky movements, he comes out of the cage most of the day and flies round the room and goes back into his cage for foood, water or to sleep, He's very vocal .i.e. whistling screeching etc. anyone got any ideas? Our last budgie was really friendly, landing on our head and even taking food from our hands, We can't figure out what (if anything) we're doing wrong with this lad. Suggestions please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Awww bless his little feet, you're doing the right things sometimes they will learn to 'step up' on a perch first and then move on to your hand when they feel ready.
    Some birds take a long time to come round.
    The best time to get on his good side is when he's hungary, dampen your finger and stick some seed on it and see if he will feed like that to gradually get him used to you. Some budgies do take an age, he'll come to you when he feels ready. Usually that young and if they have no other birds they will bond quickly but you always get the one that's stubborn. Start feeding him his favourite stuff by hand as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Also, might want to think about cage size.
    If its too small (most cages sold as "Budgie cages" are), then your hand may look very very large and intimidating to a nervous young budgie. :)
    Although there is also another train of thought about keeping the cage small if you are trying to hand-train a bird.

Personally, I found in a larger cage they grew more confident and were more likely to come to you on their own terms.

Then again, I always tended to go slightly (actually very tbh lol) over the top and get or make huge cages lol :)

I only ever took in a few budgies, mostly I had cockatiels and peach-faced "love-birds", and an extremely viscious rosealla (never ever again, nearly lost a finger to that one lol) :)

b

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Find out what he likes, foodwise and use that as a treat to reinforce what you deem to be positive behaviour.

Advertisement