Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Idiots Taking photos while driving at 120km

Options
  • 30-08-2006 7:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Question

1- Is it legal?
    2- Would you do it
    3- Is it worse than speeding
    4- Would you brag you did it to 75,000 people.

Dublinwriter you dont need to do this one we all know your answer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Depends. Are you talking about the person taking thier hands off the wheel to take the photo? Or a passenger, or webcam kind of setup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Chonker wrote:
    Question

1- Is it legal?
    2- Would you do it
    4- Would you brag you did it to 75,000 people.

1. i would say if you can keep one hand on the wheel, its not illegal.
    2. some time people are so stupid and pig headed that its necessary to take a photo of and issue just to shut them up.
    3. not at all, speeding kills, photos don't.
    4. ya sure why not. if you did it in a safe manner, or had to make a point to some other idiot on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

Suppose I were to use my mobile phone purely for it's camera function and I got stopped by the guards, where would I stand legally?
    PS...I have a Bluetooth carkit and use it so it is a purely hypothetical question!

fletch wrote:
    Suppose I were to use my mobile phone purely for it's camera function and I got stopped by the guards, where would I stand legally?
    PS...I have a Bluetooth carkit and use it so it is a purely hypothetical question!

ah id say your f#cked... na, i don't know to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

ah id say your f#cked... na, i don't know to be honest

1. i would say if you can keep one hand on the wheel, its not illegal.QUOTE]

Make up your mind. Am i to assume You feel its ok to do to shut an idiot up on boards.

Then whos the Idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Check out half the photos on "what I saw today"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

fletch wrote:
    I believe that the law refers to using the phone but doesnt say what for so taking pics is included.

kbannon wrote:
    I believe that the law refers to using the phone but doesnt say what for so taking pics is included.
    "Suppose" the phone didn't have a sim card in it? Is it technically a phone then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Quite similar to the idiot who slowed to walking pace on the ouside lane of the new Boyne bridge on the M1 to let his passenger get a picture.

There was a fatal accident near Derry earlier this year and when the inquest comes round it's likely to emerge that the guy who died lost control as he was taking a photo of the speedo at over 120kmh. I know this as I know the couple who were seriously injured when the wreckage of his car careered into theirs. The photo was apparently saved on his mobile.

fletch wrote:
    "Suppose" the phone didn't have a sim card in it? Is it technically a phone then?

Yes, its a phone even when its in a box in the shop.

Why do some very experienced drivers on boards seem to make so little of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Yea, Heard about that.
    Thought it was at 120Mph tho...

I think the most important thing about taking a photo while driving would have to be turning off the flash.

Some f*cker nearly made me crash on sat evening down in westmeath because he was taking a photo of a tractor he was passing.
    Twilight night-vision is pretty sensetive and that was not fun!!

fletch wrote:

that's a very good point actually, well spotted.

so dedicated camera..no problem
    phone with camera... against the law
    is this what we are saying

Chonker wrote:
    Yes, its a phone even when its in a box in the shop.

Why do some very experienced drivers on boards seem to make so little of this.
    I hope you weren't referring to me there.....I am just curious as to what constitutes a phone....like the borders are very thin.....a PDA for example is primarily marketed as a PDA, some have telephone functionality and others don't.

Operating a SIM-less phone whilst driving may not fall under the phone laws but would certainly then fall under dangerous driving if not something more punitive.

that's a very good point actually, well spotted.

so dedicated camera..no problem
    phone with camera... against the law
    is this what we are saying

Why are you looking for hole's in a law that saves lives?

Phones are against the law to use while driving it makes sense that a carefull driver wouldnt use a camera also, but I guess yea your right.

Is a Sony psp ok then in your eyes?

fletch wrote:
    I hope you weren't referring to me there.....I am just curious as to what constitutes a phone....like the borders are very thin.....a PDA for example is primarily marketed as a PDA, some have telephone functionality and others don't.
    Sorry
    No I wasn't. I meant Dublin writer and his defenders

fletch wrote:
    I am just curious as to what constitutes a phone

Id say that anything that is capable of recieving or making calls constitutes a phone.
    But i dont think really think its ok to be blackberrying away while your driving either.

Does the law cover blackberry and texts actually?

Chonker wrote:
    Why are you looking for hole's in a law that saves lives?

Phones are against the law to use while driving it makes sense that a carefull driver wouldnt use a camera also, but I guess yea your right.

Is a Sony psp ok then in your eyes?
    He never implied that it was okay to use a phone, we are merely highlighting potential loopholes and ambiguity in it that should be rectified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Some of you guys are unbelievable!

Driving with anything in your hand, be it a camera, phone, your dick, a mars bar or packet of crisps comes under CARELESS DRIVING and the rules associated with it. In the UK people get done for it regularly http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4788910.stm Even operating the car radio is technically careless driving.

Using a phone in the car is a SPECIFIC OFFENCE. This does not mean you are cool to do the multitude of things that are considered 'careless driving' and which are likely to end you up getting an even bigger punishment than using a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Blackberries *are* phones. They can take calls etc but are marketed on their email capabilities.

• Advertisement

el tel wrote:
    Using a phone in the car is a SPECIFIC OFFENCE. This does not mean you are cool to do the multitude of things that are considered 'careless driving'

I was just curious as to after how much faffin about it took to bring in points for phone usage, how many loopholes they left in the law.

it may have been off topic but it was more of a curiosity as to the lack of forsight shown by the govt.

fletch wrote:
    He never implied that it was okay to use a phone, we are merely highlighting potential loopholes and ambiguity in it that should be rectified.

Actually he did, he said at the start of the thread it was ok to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Section 3 of the Road Traffic Act 2006 makes it an offence to drive a vehicle while holding a mobile phone. An offence is committed by holding a mobile phone while driving and matters such as whether or not the phone was being used or switched on at the time are not relevant.

"Bluetooth" and other hands-free devices do not come within the scope of the prohibition.

The definition of 'holding a mobile phone' covers holding it by hand or supporting it with some other part of the body. The definition prohibits the practice of cradling a mobile phone in the nook of the neck and shoulder.

From Autumn, the offence will attract 2 penalty points on payment of a fixed charge and 4 penalty points on conviction. In addition, a person could face a maximum fine of €2,000 on conviction.

The Act recognised that there may be situations where a driver must contact the emergency services and it provides a defence for the use of a hand-held mobile phone in such circumstances. The defence relates to calls made to the emergency services on the national emergency telephone numbers only, namely, 999 and 112. The Gardaí, fire service, ambulance service, coast guard service and mountain rescue service may be contacted on these numbers.

Wazdakka wrote:
    I was just curious as to after how much faffin about it took to bring in points for phone usage, how many loopholes they left in the law.

it may have been off topic but it was more of a curiosity as to the lack of forsight shown by the govt.

I agree, no harm getting it out in the open.

Chonker wrote:
    Actually he did, he said at the start of the thread it was ok to do.
    Sorry missed that.....pretty immature attitude there alright.
    4. ya sure why not. if you did it in a safe manner, or had to make a point to some other idiot on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I can see the Judge now.

"Ahh there was no Sim in the phone hence its not a phone! Lucky you I was going to give you 150 days for it, but seeing as you have proven its not a Phone you will get 5 months instead".

Sheesh next we will have people asking if its illegal to be driving while playing a PSP.

oleras wrote:
    From Autumn, the offence will attract 2 penalty points on payment of a fixed charge and 4 penalty points on conviction. In addition, a person could face a maximum fine of €2,000 on conviction.
    This comes into effect on Friday IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

kbannon wrote:

Sure does

kbannon wrote:

Thank God!
    By the sounds of it today, some people think phone calls/photo's/texts/games whatever and driving are harmless when mixed.

Do you hear that Dublinwriter. No more taking snaps at the wheel to catch law breakers in action, unless it's a self portrait.

• Advertisement

fletch wrote:
    Sorry missed that.....pretty immature attitude there alright.

:D:D:D caught out again flech... I'm surprised in you to be caught out so easily...

you should read the title of this thread and the op first post...
    here let me remind you of it

"Idiots Taking photos while driving at 120km
    Question

1- Is it legal?
    2- Would you do it
    4- Would you brag you did it to 75,000 people."

cant see any mention of a phone here? photos yes but no phones. can you.
    and in my reply
    1. i would say if you can keep one hand on the wheel, its not illegal.
    2. some time people are so stupid and pig headed that its necessary to take a photo of and issue just to shut them up.
    3. not at all, speeding kills, photos don't.

cant see any mention of a phone here... no. maybe the op should of spefified that he was on about people using PHONES to take photos(which is illegal)...otherwise we presume he is talking about a camera...

you rightly said

"He never implied that it was okay to use a phone, we are merely highlighting potential loopholes and ambiguity in it that should be rectified."

but then dropped the ball.

now do I get a "Sorry missed that." or am i just banned.
    :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement