Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Idiots Taking photos while driving at 120km

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I use my judgement, the camera is foolproof (idiotproof) and I only look to get shot if I'm on the straight of a decent road in 'quiet' conditions and/or in traffic at a snails pace. Its not like I'm actually looking through the lens as I snap. Its point and shoot on a wideangle. If I get the shot fine, if I don't - "oh well...".

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

now do I get a "Sorry missed that." or am i just banned.
    :D

Nope still banned

Pretty immature attitude there alright...... is a correct comment for your quote.

Although I didnt specify a phone, nor did I specify this related to another thread about a phone and a picture, yet you were able to identify that in your comment.

Being smart doesnt make you right, it only add to your ignorance.

You said it was legal, Sorry mate thats an immature attitude because all sensible people know its not.

So Fletch is justified regardless of loopholes in laws or your comments. Sorry.

mike65 wrote:
    I use my judgement, the camera is foolproof (idiotproof) and I only look to get shot if I'm on the straight of a decent road in 'quiet' conditions and/or in traffic at a snails pace. Its not like I'm actually looking through the lens as I snap. Its point and shoot on a wideangle. If I get the shot fine, if I don't - "oh well...".

Mike.

Most people would agree, I use my judgement as to when to speed up to overtake safely.

Doesn't make it legal. Mike at least tell me you wait till you stop to view your picture.
    Is it right that a moderator on motors admits to breaking the law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Chonker - be careful that you don't fall off that high horse; it could be quite a drop.

Taking a photo whilst moving at high speeds is, IMHO, equivalent to turning around and searching in the back seat for something - your concentration isn't where it should be. However, it's also a judgement call by the driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

i agree with ya mike its a judgement call... but i know another who wouldn't
    fletch wrote:
    pretty immature attitude there alright.

• Advertisement

Fey! wrote:
    Chonker - be careful that you don't fall off that high horse; it could be quite a drop.

Taking a photo whilst moving at high speeds is, IMHO, equivalent to turning around and searching in the back seat for something - your concentration isn't where it should be. However, it's also a judgement call by the driver.

Why is it so high.

I say what I see. What Mike said he did is illegal. Its not a high horse thing at all. I'm happy to fall off though for standing up for what is right.

I don't make the laws. I'm also no angel, but if I break the law I would usually try and keep quiet about it, not try to justify it to you lads.

Sorry if anybody has been offended, but is this not what boards.ie is all about. Saying what you think.

Chonker I check the pix only when I'm stopped! :)

Yes it is illegal but I will plead superior ability! Laws are mainly to protect the stupid and badly trained ;) Some people manage to crash while fishing under the seat for lost CD.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Chonker I check the pix only when I'm stopped! :)

Yes it is illegal but I will plead superior ability! Laws are mainly to protect the stupid and badly trained ;) Some people manage to crash while fishing under the seat for lost CD.

Mike.

Whatever you say Mike!! Just dont kick me off my high horse. lol

Is that how to do it Fey!

Chonker wrote:
    Whatever you say Mike!! Just dont kick me off my high horse. lol

Is that how to do it Fey!

no this is how you do it...
    Chonker wrote:
    So Fletch is justified regardless
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Wazdakka wrote:
    Some f*cker nearly made me crash on sat evening down in westmeath because he was taking a photo of a tractor he was passing.

It would be funny if it was mike65 :)

I wouldn't be inclined to take photos myself. Taking photos is a hell of a lot different to the wanker asswipes who drive around the place with their phone held up to their ear like they're too important to drive safely though.

• Advertisement

no this is how you do it...
    ;)

Does everything have to be cryptic with you m/(>_<???? who ever you are. What do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

OK, so who took a picture when driving at 120kmh? Where is the picture?

el tel wrote:

ya mean their is a reason for this thread....
    i should of known

Stark wrote:
    It would be funny if it was mike65 :)

I wouldn't be inclined to take photos myself. Taking photos is a hell of a lot different to the wanker asswipes who drive around the place with their phone held up to their ear like they're too important to drive safely though.

I was nowhere near Westmeath your honour!

As for comparitive dangers, well the pic takes a second or two, the phone call could last for several minutes and become quite involved with techical aspects and note scribblings, if that was the case the call would be much more dangerous to my mind esp as it could end in a screaming match!

Mike.

el tel wrote:

Dublinwriter took a photo of a learner driver in a skyline passing him at, what he felt was 160k, he then felt the need to tell everybody on boards about the learner breaking the law, neglecting to also mention from the start he had done similar maybe even worse in some peoples eyes.

Since then he and some of the better! drivers here have dropped by to let us know it's know it ok to do..... so long as your not a bad driver.

Did anyone ever meet a self confessed bad driver?

Dont do it guys, people have died because of phones/texts and maybe even pictures.

1. i would say if you can keep one hand on the wheel, its not illegal.
    2. some time people are so stupid and pig headed that its necessary to take a photo of and issue just to shut them up.
    3. not at all, speeding kills, photos don't.
    4. ya sure why not. if you did it in a safe manner, or had to make a point to some other idiot on boards.

Do you remember it now. You seemed to then. wasn't that long ago.

Chonker - my high horse comment stems from people who give out about others wrongdoings but don't recognise their own, which I feels happens a lot on boards, ie the situation which was the influence for this thread (DW giving out about someone he assumed to be a learner, but aking a picture travelling at high speeds).

My apologies if I'm wrong and you've never done anything wrong!

Fey! wrote:
    Chonker - my high horse comment stems from people who give out about others wrongdoings but don't recognise their own, which I feels happens a lot on boards, ie the situation which was the influence for this thread (DW giving out about someone he assumed to be a learner, but aking a picture travelling at high speeds).

My apologies if I'm wrong and you've never done anything wrong!

As i have printed many times over the last few days, I am also no angel on the roads at least not all the time, but I would never try to justify what ever it is I've done wrong. I know when ive done wrong and I keep quiet about it. I'm mearly pointing out that just because these guys feel it's legal, or ok to do, its not a good idea to do it. It happens to be a something that Ive withnessed first hand.

I dont pretend to be on a high horse Fey! but I know whats right and I know whats wrong. We all break the rules, but lets not make it an acceptable thing to do that law does save lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

IMHO anyone who is taking a picture while driving deserves a serious slap.

For starters your going to have look away to get the camera, your going to have to hold it in one hand to take the picture and your natural instinct is to look at what you are taking the picture at. If thats off to your left or right you also have the chance of swerving the car due to how your brain works.

TBH people trying to argue it as something that is perfectly fine is scary.

Chonker wrote:
    Dublinwriter took a photo of a learner driver in a skyline passing him at, what he felt was 160k, he then felt the need to tell everybody on boards about the learner breaking the law, neglecting to also mention from the start he had done similar maybe even worse in some peoples eyes.

Since then he and some of the better! drivers here have dropped by to let us know it's know it ok to do..... so long as your not a bad driver.

Did anyone ever meet a self confessed bad driver?

Dont do it guys, people have died because of phones/texts and maybe even pictures.

I see, so it's another case of somebody starting a thread about a particular subject but who is then harangued by the holier-than-thou brigade for something unwittingly said which incriminated himself on a totally separate issue? Some people really should get out a bit more.

(Those of a opinionated dispostion should not go look at some of the in-car photos in the 'Today I saw a classic and took a pic!' thread :phttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=256944&page=1

• Advertisement

el tel wrote:
    I see, so it's another case of somebody starting a thread about a particular subject but who is then harangued by the holier-than-thou brigade for something unwittingly said which incriminated himself on a totally separate issue? Some people really should get out a bit more.

(Those of a opinionated dispostion should not go look at some of the in-car photos in the 'Today I saw a classic and took a pic!' thread :phttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=256944&page=1

I drive a Skyline, and proceded to let those guys know I bought it for looks rather than speed. Which they doubted?

I have also lost a family member to an Idiot "boy racer" who was just texting his girlfriend, who he was less than 5 mins from anyway. I didn't know DW took photos from the offset when he told me that and made little of using his phone while driving at 120k I decided to start this thread, I guess i just got lucky eh!

Im not part of the holier-than-thou brigade if it thats what it takes to get some people to see sense then sign me up.

Chonker - point taken. My apologies.

El Tel - if you read that thread, you'll notice that a lot of people make comments such as "I saw x, but didn't get a pic 'cause they were moving and so was I" or "I just had to pull in and get a pic of y".

Fey! wrote:
    Chonker - point taken. My apologies.

El Tel - if you read that thread, you'll notice that a lot of people make comments such as "I saw x, but didn't get a pic 'cause they were moving and so was I" or "I just had to pull in and get a pic of y".

The thread is clearly titled "'Today I saw a classic and took a pic!'". Maybe there should be one called "Today I saw a classic, didn't take a pic, but let me tell you about it".

el tel wrote:
    The thread is clearly titled "'Today I saw a classic and took a pic!'". Maybe there should be one called "Today I saw a classic, didn't take a pic, but let me tell you about it".

Today I saw a classic and took a pic!...... But I had the commen sense to pull over/stop before i took the photo. I think thats whats supposed to go there.

Honestly el tel being a smart A** doesnt make you sound any more intelligent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Chonker wrote:
    I drive a Skyline

Did you sell it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Trust Boards.ie to turn any possible topic of discussion into a panty bunched, opionated, handbags at dawn, fest.

You could put up a post about what shade of green traffic lights are and risk starting a war.

Hours of free entertainment during work.

I love it :D

oleras wrote:
    Chonker wrote:
    I drive a Skyline QUOTE]

Did you sell it yet?

No she's letting me keep it. It least for now she is. need a bigger driveway though.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

fletch wrote:
    Suppose I were to use my mobile phone purely for it's camera function and I got stopped by the guards, where would I stand legally?
    PS...I have a Bluetooth carkit and use it so it is a purely hypothetical question!

From today's Irish Times:

Under Section Three of the latest road traffic act, signed into law earlier this month, a driver caught holding a mobile phone can choose to pay a fixed charge of €60 within 28 days, or €90 within the next 28 days. The driver will also get two penalty points.

The only acceptable defence will be where the hand-held phone was being used to contact emergency services.

Drivers who believe they can get around the legislation by saying the phone was not in use or by not actually holding it in their hand, should bear in mind that the new rules state that:
    "Matters such as whether or not the phone was being used or switched on at the time are not relevant". It continues: "The definition of holding a mobile phone covers holding it by hand or supporting it with some other part of the body. The definition prohibits the practice of cradling a mobile phone in the nook of the neck and shoulder"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

From Friday its obviously illegal to use a phone, (not a handsfree) and that obviously includes camera phones while driving. In fact it probably includes holding a phone even if stopped, if you're not pulled off the road. The reason its been made illegal is obviously because its dangerous. It wasn't illegal up to that point, was it. Personally I think people smoking, talking to their passengers, fiddling with their radio, ipod, distractions from kids is just as dangerous. You could as easily use a digital camera instead. A guard could do you for dangerous driving, which seems to be their catch all, offence.

It doesn't need a whole thread to discuss that issue when its been all over the media for an age. Apologies if I'm wrong but there seems to be a pattern of personal insults developing here , I'm surprised the mods are cool with that. This thread could easily have been called "Taking photos while driving".

• Advertisement

Chonker wrote:
    Today I saw a classic and took a pic!...... But I had the commen sense to pull over/stop before i took the photo. I think thats whats supposed to go there.

Well if you say that's what was supposed to go there then who am I to contradict you ;)
    Chonker wrote:
    Honestly el tel being a smart A** doesnt make you sound any more intelligent.

Chonker, I realise that being a barometer of socially acceptible driving practices requires a bee in the bonnet but with all due respect, you need to lighten up a bit. If you look back I started off in this thread by broadly agreeing with you about the dangers of bollocking about in cars with phones/cameras yet somehow you manage to get a bit prickly. Perhaps not everyone feels so strongly as you on the issue but there's no call for you to get insulting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement