Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you feel smoking has already had an effect on your health/fitness?

Options
  • 30-08-2006 8:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭

It's a bit scarey really... for the first few years I spent smoking, it was like there was no ill effect at all... I suppose it all happens so slowly that you don't notice any change at all.
    I don't have any serious smoking-related illness as far as I know, but sometimes I feel like my heart is struggling somehow... breathing takes just a little bit more effort than I remember from before I started smoking and there's a general feeling of lethargy.
    But for some reason I'm more paranoid about it now... any little twinge on my left side makes me wonder.
    My unlce had a heart-attack last year (which he survived) and he said he knew something wasn't right in the time leading up to the heart attack (not sure whether it was hours or days).

A friend of the family recently died of a heart attack at 33... (though he wasn't a smoker)... I'm 26, but it's a bit shocking when people you grew up with start dropping dead.
    And the snooker player Paul Hunter getting cancer at 28(?).
    I think my false sense of invincibility is starting to wear off with age, and the prospect of dying from some of this shít is becoming more real.

All the lies I tell myself about smoking all have the same undercurrent... and that is - any serious harm smoking will do will happen like a lightswitch going from 'on' to 'off'.
    Which allows for the whole 'I'll quit before I do any serious damage' fantasy.
    Which is all bullshít really... because as the ads say "every ciggarette you smoke is doing you damage".

I don't really know what the point of this thread is, it's half rant : half blog I guess, but as a general talking point - do you feel like smoking has already affected your health? are you worried about what might happen if you continue? *lights up another*

I know this forum was created for discussing the positives... but I think there's a good opportunity to discuss how you feel about this without the judgement of holier-than-thou non-smokers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Nothing that I've noticed - the odd bad cough is about all, oh and stuffy nose most of the time but that might not be smoking. I can run 5k without a problem - i'm pretty fit for a smoker although i'm sure if i was shown a picture of my lungs i'd think different.

anyway, at least you can have a smoke when you're stressed about smoking :D Seriously though, if there's something niggly that you are worried about like the twinge on your left side, have a word with your GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Meh, seeing the doctors bill takes years off my life. :eek: ;)
    I'm back and forth to him every 18 months or so with flu-come-chest-infections anyway.
    I think it's just reality clashing with denial... sometimes I get an idea of what smoking is like from a 'norm's point of view and it really is strange what we do to ourselves.

Advertisement