Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Van Hire

• 30-08-2006 8:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I'll be needing to hire a van shortly for moving furniture and there is a 3 seater & 2 seater along with other furniture that I won't be able to fit in a std long wheel base Transit for the one round trip, so I think I might need something a little bigger.

Will my drivers license allow me to drive anything bigger than a Transit type van? something like this http://www.vanrentals.ie/rentals_d.asp?V_ID=5

If so, any recommendations or any place doing larger van rentals?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yes, your B-License will let you drive this van, but not if it has a tail lift as the lift puts the vans weight above the limit of your license (3500kg, AFAIK).

Try AVIS Truck & Van Rental (01 409 7590). They also have Mitsubishi Canters like the one on the link you provided.

I used one of these vans when moving house last year - plenty of room. I got everything moved in two runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

crosstownk wrote:
    Yes, your B-License will let you drive this van, but not if it has a tail lift as the lift puts the vans weight above the limit of your license (3500kg, AFAIK).

Try AVIS Truck & Van Rental (01 409 7590). They also have Mitsubishi Canters like the one on the link you provided.

I used one of these vans when moving house last year - plenty of room. I got everything moved in two runs.
    They say the one with the tail lift is still allowable on a car license.
    http://www.vanrentals.ie/rentals_d.asp?V_ID=21

I might just go with the tail lift if they allow it and its not much more as it would make moving the furniture in & out of the van a lot easier. I could manage one trip with one of these but 2 with the Transit style and it being a 3.5hr round trip, I don't want to do it twice in the one weekend.

I'll call AVIS as well and get a price from them.

Whats the situation with insurance? I can't remember what I did the last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Lex Luthor wrote:
    They say the one with the tail lift is still allowable on a car license.
    http://www.vanrentals.ie/rentals_d.asp?V_ID=21

That's not the case with AVIS - Obviously they vans are designed differently. The one thing I missed when moving was a tail lift - it would have been so handy.

Regarding insurance, most rental companies will sell you insurance but its worth checking with your current insurer first as they may cover you. If you are covered by your own insurance it would be advisable to bring a copy of your policy with you to the rental depot as well as contact details for your insurance company so the rental company can verify that you are covered.

steve06 wrote:
    thanks, but they are in Galway...I'm in Naas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Is it a long trip, i.e. making more than one run isn't an option? I've moved 3 and 2 seater couches together in a LWB transit. We put the three seater in first, with the open side facing the side of the van and then manouvered the two seater in, with the back facing upwards and once in behind the 3 seater, we tumbled it over the back of the 3 seater so that it was upside down on top of the 3 seater. We also managed to get approximately 60sq. yards of wooden flooring, 20sq. yards of floor tiles, a kitchen table, a shower cubicle, and a good few boxes of random other stuff into the van for the same journey. You'd be surprised how much stuff you'll get in there. If the problem is getting more than this in, and making a single journey, then ignore this post.

Lex, the Gross Vehicle Weight for your license is 3,500kg. A van with a tail lift will reduce your payload by approx 500kg. You need to see what the unlaiden weight of the van is with/without the tail lift. A tail lift may be handy but if the tail lift + your paylaod is in excess of 3500kg then you B license will be insuffient and will render you uninsured in an accident..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The picture provided in the OP's link shows a van with yellow and green reflective stripes on the side (and I presume red and orange on rear). These are required by law, on vehicles in excess of 3,500 kgs only, and they require at least a C1 licence.

I have never heard/seen a B category van with a tail lift. As crosstownk said, it reduces one's payload by 500kg. That would not be viable for most operators unless they were transporting crisps or cornflakes. It would probably weigh 3,000kg when empty!

alias no.9 wrote:
    Is it a long trip, i.e. making more than one run isn't an option? I've moved 3 and 2 seater couches together in a LWB transit. We put the three seater in first, with the open side facing the side of the van and then manouvered the two seater in, with the back facing upwards and once in behind the 3 seater, we tumbled it over the back of the 3 seater so that it was upside down on top of the 3 seater. We also managed to get approximately 60sq. yards of wooden flooring, 20sq. yards of floor tiles, a kitchen table, a shower cubicle, and a good few boxes of random other stuff into the van for the same journey. You'd be surprised how much stuff you'll get in there. If the problem is getting more than this in, and making a single journey, then ignore this post.
    I've got a 3 & 2 seater, 1 king size bed, 1 double bed, 1 single bed & mattresses. Plus a lot of flat pack furniture including table & 6 chairs, garden table & 4 chairs (flat pack), 2 wardrobes, 2 chests, 2 lockers, coffee table, TV unit, TV (all flat pack), duverts, pillows & microwave. Not sure if a LWB Trannsit will do that in 1 trip

The picture provided in the OP's link shows a van with yellow and green reflective stripes on the side (and I presume red and orange on rear). These are required by law, on vehicles in excess of 3,500 kgs only, and they require at least a C1 licence.
    Correct - but AVIS put them on some vans (typically Canters) that have a DGVW of less than 3,500kg. While they are required on vehicles in excess of 3,500kg, there is no harm in putting them on 'lighter' vehicles as an added safety factor.

Any B category van with a tail lift will have a ridiculously small payload weight - as Wishbone Ash says - crisps or cornflakes:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

crosstownk wrote:
    Correct - but AVIS put them on some vans (typically Canters) that have a DGVW of less than 3,500kg. While they are required on vehicles in excess of 3,500kg, there is no harm in putting them on 'lighter' vehicles as an added safety factor.

Thanks for that crosstownk. ( Unmarked Garda GATSO vans always have them also).

Unmarked Garda GATSO vans always have them also
    Really - I'll bear that in mind - it'll make them easier to spot..................not that I speed or anything:p

Lex - what about a LWB Sprinter - they have a lot of room and have smaller ground clearance than a Canter making them easier to load/unload.

Advertisement