Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless N

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

If you don't have N wireless adapters/cards then it will only function as a g type router. As for coverage,how long is a piece of string?. You could have two g type routers and one will reach further than the other. Depends on how good the device is, firmware etc.

Personally I think you'll be wasting your money. It's draft N, so sometimes it's a bit hit and miss. Most of the reviews of N type equipment that I've read weren't all that favourable. Stick with what you have now, and upgrade to N when it's a bit more stable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Agreed with IrlRobins. Hang out for 6 to 12 months if you can. It is still in draft phase and things could change that you make equipment sold today, incompatible with the full standard.

I also read an article yersterday that the Wireless Alliance are ready to endorse certain products early next year. The IEEE is not ready to give their stamp of approvable for another year or so after that. WA is not willing to wait. Might not be a major problem because most companies will buy their gear once it was the WA logo on it. This WA pre-standard stamp of approval might just become the standard by default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I agree with the above posters. I'm not buying another wireless router until this tangle of aerials sorts itself out into one standard! Looking at maplin's page of wireless routers right now, it's full of insane looking things with 5 aerials, none of which are probably interoperable. If you bought one of these non-standard routers and the various client adapters now they might not be so useful in the future.

Advertisement