Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Cyclists

Options
  • 30-08-2006 9:58am

These people really irritate me

1. People whom you overtake at decent speed, and when you're stopped at a traffic light further up the road, glide past you to the very end of the junction, where they're ahead of you, but move far slower.
    This has happened to me 3 times in the last 2 days, yesterday it was the same guy 3 times.

2. Cyclists who cycle on the right-most part of the cyclepath, maiking it impossible to pass.

3. Cyclists who ignore traffic lights completely, they're there for our safety guys! I'm not saying i've never gone through a red light at a pedestrian crossing, but this can be safe as long as you're attentitive. I've seen people fly through "Y" Junctions and narrowly miss a car joining from the right.

4. Cyclists who join your path frm the left (inferior road) and proceed to take 15 minutes to get out of first gear.

Where did all these people come from? What are your pet peeves with other cyclists>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I agree with you on most, but not 2 if you're talking about on-road bike lanes too. I am "guilty" of this, I ride as far from the gutter as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

What are your pet peeves with other cyclists?

Other cyclists don't really bother me at all (well, apart from that drunk guy who cycled into me one night). They may go really slowly, pedal like mad or perform dubious manoeuvres but that's nothing to do with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

1. People whom you overtake at decent speed, and when you're stopped at a traffic light further up the road, glide past you to the very end of the junction, where they're ahead of you, but move far slower.
    This has happened to me 3 times in the last 2 days, yesterday it was the same guy 3 times.
    Yup, that often happens to me too. Generally I just overtake again. But these people also often break the red light that I'm waiting at. Agree with your other points.

However if I'm overtaken by someone going around the same speed as me, I tend not to overtake again but sit behind them. I try to keep a safe distance, (1/2 to a full bike length?) wouldn't say I'm drafting, is this good or bad? I only tend to overtake if the person is clearly slower, and if they are clearly faster than obviously I am not in a position to sit behind them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

3. Cyclists who ignore traffic lights completely, they're there for our safety guys! I'm not saying i've never gone through a red light at a pedestrian crossing, but this can be safe as long as you're attentitive. I've seen people fly through "Y" Junctions and narrowly miss a car joining from the right.

I find at times I'll completely miss a traffic light by accident. When I drive i can always see the traffic lights clealy, but there are times when cycling i'll unintentionally ignore a red light. Does this happen to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Lambsbread wrote:
    I find at times I'll completely miss a traffic light by accident. When I drive i can always see the traffic lights clealy, but there are times when cycling i'll unintentionally ignore a red light. Does this happen to anyone else?
    That's a scary post. How do you sometimes miss the light? It could be a very costly oversight some day.

For me it only happened once - I saw green, of a pedestrian light, and went through the red lights (Fassaugh Ave at Dowth Road in Cabra). I've made sure that I don't make that mistake again.

• Advertisement

Lambsbread wrote:
    I've only done this once or twice, only at a pedestrian crossing, never a junction, and only when they have just gone red. I do find myself paying less innate attention to pedestrian crossings than junctions I must admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Lambsbread wrote:

No! I keep a close eye on my surroundings, including traffic lights when on a bike. I'm aware just how frail I am!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I find one of the most dangerous things when it comes to other cyclists is the one's that weave back and forth, can be very dodge to overtake at anytime because their just so unpredictable :confused:

But I'd have to agree with one of the biggest dislikes of cyclists going through red lights at junctions, not only is it extremely retarded and in complete disregard to both the cyclists own life and others but it gives all cyclists a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

No! I keep a close eye on my surroundings, including traffic lights when on a bike. I'm aware just how frail I am!

Good to hear that. I drive a truck occasionally and it never ceases to amaze me how many cyclists cycle up the nearside of the trailer when I intend to turn left and have indicated my intention to do so. It is often necessary to move out to the right first before turning left to make sure the trailer clears the corner. Perhaps cyclists see that as an opening? It scares the shít out of me each time. :eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I like when someone thinks they are about to overtake and I up the speed bit by bit so they are constantly behind me by about a bike length. In the end they just get knackered and fall back, then I slow down :D

Haha, just saying that cos when I used to live in France I would cycle to work through country roads and forest paths. The amount of lunatics who used to try to "catch" you for some unknown reason on a canal path in the middle of nowhere always kept me wary of other cyclists. Don't know if they were trying to rob me or what, but happened a few times.

Of course, I'm sure this dosen't happen too often in Dublin city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Cabaal wrote:
    but it gives all cyclists a bad name.
    That is the part that annoys me. I've been verbally abused by cyclists when I've pointed their (illegal) actions out to them.
    I drive a truck occasionally and it never ceases to amaze me how many cyclists cycle up the nearside of the trailer when I intend to turn left and have indicated my intention to do so.
    I think that a lot of people go into 'auto pilot' mode and filter out such obvious warning signs like your indicator. I'm sure that quite a few of the 'left turning truck' bike deaths were as a result of the above cyclist behaviour.
    I really would love to ask one of these cyclists why they do what they do, though I'd probably be verbally abused again. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Cyclists who come over all 'good citizen' and tell you that you should wear a helmet, get lights or stop at junctions really annoy me. I've had several 'do-gooders' tell me to 'be more careful' or offer 'helpful' advice and it drives me nuts. There is one particular tool in Galway and he has 'told me off' several times for not wearing a helmet, so the last time I roared at him to FCUK OFF, ITS A FREE COUNTRY.

Rant over.

'cptr

Interceptor, you should really get a helmet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

blorg wrote:
    Interceptor, you should really get a helmet.

and some lights.....

Seriously, while a helmet is not the law and as such nobody should be demanding you get one, if your cycling at night then you should have lights as it is the law and its just plain stupid not too, your only looking to be killed imho

Yes, I know all this - I don't cycle at night and sometimes wear a helmet (always off road or in woods, rarely in traffic though my brother went through the back window of a car when it braked suddenly and he used his skull as a hammer - he always wears a helmet now but cycles much faster than me).

I was joining in the spirit of the thread by saying I don't want the friendly advice of other cyclists as I go about my business. I don't want other shoppers in Tesco advising me on my choice of oven chips, I don't want motorists telling me to use diesel. I am old and even my parents don't offer unwanted advice to me anymore. Now be off with you...

'cptr

Interceptor, I don't wear a helmet myself (see the recent helmets thread) and was actually only winding you up.

But I can't believe you buy oven chips. In Tesco!

Cabaal wrote:
    and some lights.....

Seriously, while a helmet is not the law and as such nobody should be demanding you get one, if your cycling at night then you should have lights as it is the law and its just plain stupid not too, your only looking to be killed imho
    Agree 100% on the lights point though, need to get them fitted to my own good bike now with the evenings closing in (used to only cycle during daylight on that one, had another with lights for the evenings.)

blorg wrote:
    I was actually only winding you up!
    Yes, I noticed and paid no attention...

I used to have a helmet but my neighbour borrowed it and broke it during a hurling match. Yes, hurling in a cycling helmet. Langer.
    blorg wrote:
    But I can't believe you buy oven chips!
    Our three month old baby won't eat anything else. With Fanta.

'cptr

Yes, I know all this - I don't cycle at night and sometimes wear a helmet (always off road or in woods, rarely in traffic though my brother went through the back window of a car when it braked suddenly and he used his skull as a hammer - he always wears a helmet now but cycles much faster than me).

I';d have to agree that anybody telling you off for not wearing a helmet is a muppet, its not the law and as such there wasting their time. Just tell em to **** off more :)

o....k....cycle helmet while hurling, not really meant for those kind of impacts over and over, there really one use type of things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

I used to have a helmet but my neighbour borrowed it and broke it during a hurling match. Yes, hurling in a cycling helmet. Langer.

'cptr
    ROFL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Good to hear that. I drive a truck occasionally and it never ceases to amaze me how many cyclists cycle up the nearside of the trailer when I intend to turn left and have indicated my intention to do so. It is often necessary to move out to the right first before turning left to make sure the trailer clears the corner. Perhaps cyclists see that as an opening? It scares the shít out of me each time. :eek:

Erm - no. Turning HGVs are a very easy way to die!

Advertisement