Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing cranks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

You don't need any special tools to remove or fit the cranks. Remove the adjusting cap from the left hand crank - should be an allen key fitting. Then undo the pinch-bolts on the same side with the appropriate allen key (5mm?).

To remove the BB cups (if you want/need to)
    http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=25&item=BBT%2D9

Instructions
    http://www.fullspeedahead.com/downloads/MegaExo%20BB%20Installation%20final%20040820.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

thanks Morgan.
    the reason I want to remove the cranks is because there is some screw in there that I need to tighten.

I've had the bike back to the shop 4 times with the same problem, (when I put down power I hear a clicking sound). The guy in the shop told me that to fix it again, I should remove the left side crank and just add a bit more torque to one of the screws. Beats me which one it is though. I could end up buggering it up completely!

I'm fed-up bringing it back to the shop though, bike is about 2 1/2 months old, and the same noise keeps occuring after a hard ride, so I want to be able to fix it myself

P

It might help to take off the left crank, grease all the bolts, maybe grease the crank splines and put it all back together again. Check the required torques in the pdf above.

OK, last night I tried to remove the left (non-drive side) crank. But I got as far as the adjusting cap, and no further! I can't get the beggar off. Is there a special tool for it?

I was using an allen key (can't remember the size, but it just slotted in nicely), then when I turned it, it gave a bit of resistance and then the key just turned freely in the thing, which doesn't seem good to me.

any ideas?

This is wrecking my head now because I want to get rid of the creaking noise and don't feel like brining into the bike shop for a fifth time

thanks

P

That doesn't sound good - has the slot for the allen key been stripped?

• Advertisement

stripped? Do you mean lost it's shape?

It might well have.

I just wish I knew why it I keep getting the noise. The guys in the shop have tuned it up four times now (cost free, fair play to them), but the same problem keeps happening after any kind of heavy ride. Could this be indicitive of some kind of design fault? Would I be justified in bringing it back again?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

right, here is what you need, a crank extractor, the park tools one is best we use them in work. i take it your bottom bracket needs to be tightened.
    2 types of bb(bottom bracket)
    1.enclosed
    2.cup and bearings.

you will need a different tool to tighten these depending on what one you have. if you have a cup and bearings it will have a locking nut on the left hand crank side.
    a enclosed bb has splines on the inside. if you dont torque wrench everything after, your warranty will be void so id advise getting a bike shop to do it coz you dont seem to be totally sure of what you are doing,you just said you rounded the lock nut for the crank, you will have to buy another one because you damaged it yourself,although the shop will prob replace it for free they wont replace a frame after you strip the threads from the bb casing, which can be a expensive mistake. the clicking noise might be a bent chainring too, so dont go ripping the bike apart, and getting advise off people who aint qualified bike mechanics.
    my advice to you is to go to halfords coolock and get a bike care plan. ask the mechanic there to explain it to you, its worth it, all work is guaranteed.

This is a more recent type of crankset/BB with external bearings.

Yes - the bolt could be rounded off - does the allen key rotate without the bolt moving? That's not good. There are various destructive and non-destructive ways to try and get it out but a fifth journery to the bike shop may be simplest. You should ask them to show you how to adjust/remove the cranks while you're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

the more modern bottom brackets have enclosed bearings, yet are fully servicable, the basic and oldest are the axle,cup and bearings.

I dipped the two screws which go into the side of the crank in grease and the sound seems to have gone a bit. I'll keep an eye on it though.

thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate 'em

P

• Advertisement
Advertisement