Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can second years get a grant?

Options
  • 30-08-2006 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

are second years allowed to apply for a grant?
    is it only first years or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

sarz55 wrote:
    are second years allowed to apply for a grant?
    yes. the deadline for this year might be gone though.
    sarz55 wrote:
    is it only first years or something?
    no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Deadline is tomorrow so get your skates on. If you really really really plead your case you might be able to worm your way into a late application but this is certainly not a tactic to be banked on.

Myth (aka Donal, last year's TCDSU Education Officer) runs the fantastic http://www.mygrant.ie which will tell you everything you need to know.

If you need further assistance call Brian Doyle in the UCDSU Education Office at 017163111, 0877948018 or email sueducation@ucd.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I work in a VEC - we're still giving out 3rd level grants but the closing date is sometime this week I think. I know the girls in Grants are getting pissed off about how everyone leaves it til the last second to apply - you better get a move on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I'd advise you to contact your local authority ASAP and ask them to send you out a form, if you got a grant last year they'll send you out a renewal form which will be less complicated this time round, dont worry most councils accept applications after the deadline, as people need time to get documents together etc.

Deadline passed there on the 31st - the girls in our grants section turned off their phones. With our VEC, if you havent got your **** in by now you won't be getting a grant.

• Advertisement

Umaro wrote:
    Deadline passed there on the 31st - the girls in our grants section turned off their phones. With our VEC, if you havent got your **** in by now you won't be getting a grant.

Well the V.E.C. is a mickey mouse organisation, local authorities are still accepting applications all throughout next week, my nextdoor neigbour works up in the grant section in SDCC.

Because we follow the deadlines we're a Mickey Mouse organisation. Cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

Umaro wrote:

Ah C'mon be fair! Some people are only getting their results from repeats now, which I believe is a necessary part of the application process. What about families how have a number of siblings who all need their parents P60/P21's etc at the same time. There's a number of variables that can delay an application.

That wasn't meant as a slur, apologies if it looked like it was. What i meant by Mickey Mouse organisation, is that the V.E.C. does not have the same capacity nor level of administration in dealing with grants as the councils fact, thats why their deadline is earlier. I know from experience that The local authoritys know that many people will have their application in late, so the deadline is set at the 31st of August just to give people a kick up the backside to sort out their application.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Take it easy there folks. It's a bit mickey mouse to get uptight about whether a VEC is more mickey mouse than a county council, isn't it.

For my part, I think the deadline is way too early. I didn't get sent out a renewal form this year, and when I rang them to ask when they were being sent out, they told me that the deadline was gone by about a month and a half. So now I have to try to rush the whole thing before the college start asking me where my fees are.

It's a bit of a nightmare.

• Advertisement
Advertisement