Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does the L.C results matter

Options
  • 30-08-2006 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

I did the leaving cert in 2000 passing just about. Now i want to go ack to college and do computing but with my leaving cert i would not have enough points to get offered the course how do they process a mature students application does the L.C results matter does anyone have any taughts on the matter

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Newb

Leaving Cert results matter but do you have any other qualifications (FETAC/HETAC) or work experience with computers?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

As above, the L.C. is looked at, but if you can demonstrate enough of an interest and willingness to work they may overlook it. If I may ask: why did you do poorly in the L.C.? Do you have any sort of learning disability, or was it your attitude toward school, etc.? No offence intended - It's kinda of what a review board may be considering, and I'd say most would appreciate that one's outlook changes drastically from when you're in your late teens and when you're a 20-something year old...
    It may be worth pursuing an exam in some aspect of computing (A+, etc. or a P.L.C. course) to show that you are serious about learning, and capable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

If you base your application based on leaving cert results only then it matters, but the advantage of applying as a mature student is that they look at the overall picture, that is your work experience, any courses, and your reason for applying to that course.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kayohore

I don't even have a Leaving Cert, although for Computer Science courses you do need a certain standard of Maths. I had to sit my LC Maths last year to get into college this year. I was actually offered a place in DCU without even that basic standard.

With Computing degrees there is a shortage of students actually picking those courses, so you stand a much better chance of getting a place than on more popular courses where there may be more competition.

The key, as previous posters have pointed out, is to concentrate on your interests and achievements, and show a desire to learn and further yourself. Karoma especially made some very interesting points; things that the interview panels asked me as part of the application process for TCD.

At the end of the day, there seem to be no solid rules to mature applications; it's down to the individual institutions and their respective faculty/course heads.

My suggestion is to go through the available courses, pick a few you're interested in, and start ringing the college admission offices and trying to speak to their mature student officers or senior staff to find out what they require etc.

Advertisement