Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Sheelin fishing

Options
  • 30-08-2006 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Hi Newbie to this side of the board

Was out fishing on Lough Sheelin the past month using spinners (Mepps 2actually) and all I seem to be getting is Pike this year. I have had only a couple of Trout 1lb mark and thats it. Last year I did very well with the Trout. I have hear from a number of anglers that there seems to be a lot of Pike this year.

Can Anyone recmmend a different lure. I have heard of the Lane Minnow but its impossible to get as no one seems to stock these.

Garyh3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

You need the right tools for the job,

Sheelin is yielding great trout fishing to very light tackle flies.

Typically size 14 to 16 klinkhammers, sedges and caenis.

Full floating line, 16ft leader on the edge of the shallows to deep water shelf
    particularly around the Rusheen shore.

The insect life in Sheelin is back to its old very prolific levels and the fish are feeding on the emergers and dries in accordance to this and so are not feeding on fry patterns.

Ditch the spinners and give the flies a swim.

Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hmmm Fly

Dont have the equipment and never tried fly fishing. What would you recommend for a beginner to try fly.

I still like spinning through.

Garyh3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Try trolling some of the small rapalas , brown trout , rainbow and the origional colours work well , in 7cm sizes

if you ask around someone will tell you where to get lane minnows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 john123

garyh3, buy the lane minnows direct .

THE LANE MINNOW, NEW STREET, ABBEYFEALE, CO. LIMERICK.

E-MAIL laneminnow@eircom.net www.laneminnow.com

PH 068 31220

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Thanks John123

Spoke to Dave Lane, very nice chap and ordered a few of his spinners. I received the spinners on Friday. He says that he may soon stop making the spinners as some of the Tackle shops are selling Irish minnows as Lane minnows. Its a pity really as there really nice spinners. Well its gonna be the end of the season soon so I will give them a try and lets see what happens. Maybe try Fly next year.

Garyh3

• Advertisement
Advertisement