Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

flyers - restrictions?

• 30-08-2006 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi.

I am considering creating awareness of a new service by handing out flyers outside the RDS at an event my primary targets will be attending.

Is there any restrictions on handing out flyers? Do I legally need a permit or something?

Thanks for your help,
    Cormac.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

I don't know about legal restrictions, but considering you can easily spend 4k on a stand for a show in the RDS, some of the stall holders may object?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Bear in mind that you'll have to hand these out on the street and you may be fined for each and every flyer that a litter warden has to pick up. That's up to €90 per flyer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

you dont need a permit but as mentioned above you can be fined for littering offences should people throw them on the ground.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

On a similar note can the same be done at traffic lights. Chances of people throwing thing out a window would be less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MarketingMan

Litter Act is a definite one to watch out for, as the other posters say you can be fioned €90 for EVERY flyer that a Litter Warden picks up. This can be alleviated by walking around the area and picking up flyers that have been discarded.

It is also a littering offence to place them under the windscreen wipers of parked cars. Same fine for each offence. So many people get caught by this one!

Traffic lights are a good idea, the only rules to avoid Gardai attention are that you cannot a) be causing an obstruction or delay in traffic b) be a danger to your self or others c) Don't go onto the grounds of RDS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

fintan wrote:
    I don't know about legal restrictions, but considering you can easily spend 4k on a stand for a show in the RDS, some of the stall holders may object?

It wouldn't take much of a stand to cost € 4k, and yes we've come across chancers trying to discreetly hand out fliers during shows. Unless you are an exhibitor you are not allowed. If caught you'll be dumped out. But if caught by the exhibitors you could find some fliers wedged up the back passage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

I think you have to seek permission from the local council office to had out leaflets in their area, but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭topazblue

Traffic lights are a good idea, the only rules to avoid Gardai attention are that you cannot a) be causing an obstruction or delay in traffic b) be a danger to your self or others c) Don't go onto the grounds of RDS

Your post is almost 4 years old, does the above legislation still apply or has it been altered?

I am considering using traffic lights as a location to distribute flyers/samples...

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Basically:

1) need 'licence' for DDC - have to apply to the 'in certain areas'
    2) Giving out in traffic - now governed by 'health and safety' - can the very restrictive if they/garda want
    3) litter act - you are responsible for your rubbish and will be fined
    4) cant do in inside the exhibitors property (like the RDS)

Advertisement