Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ALDI - 160GB DVD/HDD Recorder - 7th Sept

• 30-08-2006 1:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

Does anyone has any idea how this product is??

http://www.aldi.ie/special_buys2/product_362.html

Features at a glance

160GB DVD Hard Disk Drive Recorder which allows you to record and store more than 200 hours
    Timeshift function - play and record at the same time and 'pause' live TV
    Dual format recording: DVD-R, -RW and +R, +RW
    High speed dubbing from HDD to DVD disc and DVD disc to HDD
    Record onto HDD whilst watching DVD
    Auto chapter facility for HDD and DVD recordings
    5.1 Channel with Dolby Digital AC3 Decoder
    LG TV tuner
    Remote control with batteries
    Includes FREE blank recording disc (DVD+R) and Scart lead

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Is it a rebadged LG:confused: Seems to have an LG tuner anyway. If I was buying I'd be interested in knowing if one can record onto hdd and watch a previously recorded program on hd simultaneously. This is an important feature of the better models like Pioneer and Panasonic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭the corpo

ooooh, looks nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Looks decent. Probably sell out in 2 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

sweetie wrote:
    .......... If I was buying I'd be interested in knowing if one can record onto hdd and watch a previously recorded program on hd simultaneously. This is an important feature of the better models like Pioneer and Panasonic............

From the ad: "Timeshift function - play and record at the same time and 'pause' live TV"

Is this the feature you're looking for?

starman100 wrote:
    From the ad: "Timeshift function - play and record at the same time and 'pause' live TV"

Is this the feature you're looking for?

Not exactly. The ad says "Record onto HDD whilst watching DVD" which is covered by your quote above but doesn't necessarily mean play and record to/from hd simultaneously.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

sweetie wrote:
    Not exactly. The ad says "Record onto HDD whilst watching DVD" which is covered by your quote above but doesn't necessarily mean play and record to/from hd simultaneously.:D

Surely the bit where it says:
    aldi ad wrote:
    play and record at the same time

covers what you want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

sweetie's hair-splitting but he's right - that may well be what they mean but it may not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

Sorry about the probably stupid newbie type question but I assume with all these recorders the recording procedure is the same as with an ordinary video recorder, i.e.
    -you have to manually set a skybox to the satelite channel you want to record first.
    -you have to manually set the date and time on the recorder.
    -you cant record one sky satelite channel and watch another one.

Many thanks in advance for any input.

cosgrove80 wrote:
    Surely the bit where it says:

covers what you want?

No, because that seems to refer to the timeshift function which is a fancy word for a feature that is available on all recorders. I.e. Start to record something and then start watching it whilst still recording but at a later stage and with the possibility of pausing too.) Handy if you need to make tea or someone calls over :D The other feature I mentioned above is one which wasn't on my first recorder (Liteon 5045) but is on my Pioneer 530 and is one I would not do without again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

I take it it doesn't have a USB Port?

That would be extremely handy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Does anyone know in what format does this record to the HDD? MPEG 2, 4?
    I would like to know if its posssible to record to HDD, transfer to DVD-RW and from there to Archos AV500...or do I have to convert yet again into an avi compatible file?
    When will someone bring out a divx recorder that records AVI or MPEG simple profile directly besides these bloated MPEG 2 files..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭the corpo

btw, i think this on sale on sept 3rd, not 7th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

sweetie wrote:
    No, because that seems to refer to the timeshift function which is a fancy word for a feature that is available on all recorders. I.e. Start to record something and then start watching it whilst still recording but at a later stage and with the possibility of pausing too.) Handy if you need to make tea or someone calls over :D The other feature I mentioned above is one which wasn't on my first recorder (Liteon 5045) but is on my Pioneer 530 and is one I would not do without again.

Sorry, my bad. Reading it again it isn't really clear. Bit misleading in fact.

I assumed the point of the harddrive was that you could do what you were asking and that all HDD recorders could do it.

I agree that it'd be a fairly essential function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

IF at some stage you wanted a bigger HDD could you just stick one in or is the HD software locked to the machine

Cubix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

fisab wrote:
    Sorry about the probably stupid newbie type question but I assume with all these recorders the recording procedure is the same as with an ordinary video recorder, i.e.
    -you have to manually set a skybox to the satelite channel you want to record first.
    -you have to manually set the date and time on the recorder.
    -you cant record one sky satelite channel and watch another one.

Many thanks in advance for any input.

Maplins sell a dongle which supposedily connects to any hdr or vcr scart and is able to set the sky channel automatically via a infrared light in it- I bought one in the hope I could get it to work with NTL Digital - it didnt and they took it back no prob. 30 euros I think.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Got one :D

It's brilliant, go it started in 15 min flat with all the connections. There's plenty of connectors so you can connect everything.

Already set up the timer recording for all my fav programs. You can setup for the whole week in one go for any particular time, so from now on I am not going to miss any.... haa :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Where did you get? Where there many left?

I got one from Parnell Street, Dublin City Centre on sunday.

Few were left at that time, not sure about today.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I'm a newbie to HDD players/recorders. Can anyone tell me if I can record satellite channel programs from a sky digibox with one of these? In otherwords, does it work like a sky+ box?
    Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

Anyone know if Aldi have any of these left in the Dublin area?

• Advertisement

grahamo wrote:
    I'm a newbie to HDD players/recorders. Can anyone tell me if I can record satellite channel programs from a sky digibox with one of these? In otherwords, does it work like a sky+ box?
    Thanks in advance!

Yup you can easily record from sky plus digibox. Infact you can record from lot of different sources including handycam (DV In Connection). Works like sky+, you can pause any live program (Timeshift).

Best of it, it can play all you downloaded movie from the internet :D

There's 2 way recording as well, from DVD to HDD and from HDD to DVD. So you can write your collection on DVD and store away :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

It doesn't work like Sky+ in that you can't record one Sky channel while watching another Sky channel, but otherwise it's more or less the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 newmce

Was lucky enough to get one of these which seemed to sell fast.

A couple of questions from anyone else that may have bought one :

1) Quality from Digital set-top box - Quality seems degraded from STB. Though it could be my leads but switched these around and still the same. Not bad quality but info boxes or sharp edges are jagged. Any similar problems, or maybe it is my leads ? Doesnt seem to be an issue when I turn the unity off and the signal passes through the unit (guess then it shouldn't be the leads)

2) Wanted to run the RF signal out to elsewhere just as a pass-through signal - Can't get a signal, and have tried all set-up options.

Any thoughts before I try technical support.

Otherwise seems to be a good unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

The link wont work.

How much was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Does it play Divx's? I have Sky+ but want something like this for archiving. I am also looking for a dvd layer that playes DivX's. SO far it ticks all the boxes except that one...

newbie2 wrote:
    Does it play Divx's? I have Sky+ but want something like this for archiving. I am also looking for a dvd layer that playes DivX's. SO far it ticks all the boxes except that one...

Yup it does plays Divx's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

coldfire1x wrote:

There's 2 way recording as well, from DVD to HDD and from HDD to DVD. So you can write your collection on DVD and store away :)

Got one of these on Saturday, Im not able to copy a DVD to the HDD, it says you can copy an MPEG4 disk to the HDD, but when I try to edit a DVD it doesnt give me the option to copy.

New at all this, so interested to know how did you do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Obviously the key point to posting this thread is the price of the product, being a bargain forum.
    How much were Aldi selling it for. I mean how do we know its a bargain if you don't state the price. DOH.:rolleyes:
    BTW, that Aldi link does not work anymore.

€269

• Advertisement

Diver79 wrote:
    Got one of these on Saturday, Im not able to copy a DVD to the HDD, it says you can copy an MPEG4 disk to the HDD, but when I try to edit a DVD it doesnt give me the option to copy.

New at all this, so interested to know how did you do it?

It won't copy copy-protected (macrovision) dvds to the hd, just dvds that you have made yourself. The liteon 5045 had a way of bypassing this security feature (by updating firmware) and thus one was able to backup regular dvds but only in real-time and without any of the features added. Maybe try google to see if it's possible with this model. I've also heard of adjusting the scart lead to enable you to do this but not sure how.

Thanks Sweetie, will try this later tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Is there any left ?

Advertisement