Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Rifles Info

Options
  • 30-08-2006 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I have been asked by a farmer to get rid of doves around his yard and barns, a shotgun is out of the question and the .22lr is too dangerous so i was wonderin about an air rifle or pelletgun. i know that i need a licence but where is the best place to buy one and what sort of poundage would i need and as i know nothing about them is there anything else that i should know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Moby if you live anywhere near clare i'd do it for you as I have all the kit.

A decent spring powered air rifle would do it for you i'd say but if money isn't tight i'd suggest a PCP (Pre Charged Pneumatic) with over 12ft/lb. Multishot if possible. Silenced. If you are doing a lot of hunting with it a carbine might be the way to go.

There is always a debate between .22 and .177 but i have a .22 and find it great. I have never shot a .177 PCP though

I know that this has been covered before,

But if you have a .22 (Sparks - don't worry! Its not the 2602!!!), can you get rounds that are like shot gun pellets?

This would be used to take care of some birds nesting above the stables in a barn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

i know how you feel the fields behind me are cut and there are crows gelore ,crossing a wheat stubble field trying to stalk is great fun, crows are hard to get within range pigeons are realy stupid and will stay around even after a kill with the .22rf not to mind the air rifle :L

happy days

on a side note how long do you leave pigeon before 1)cleaning and 2) cooking

also spotted some flyers from the local game restocking association( very PC)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

The daystate PCP,s are fine air rifles {if a bit pricey}.
    Inside of 35 yards they are acurate enough to cut matchsticks ,providing there is no wind ,so they should be well able for the job at hand .

Id recomend them ;)

Remmy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Remmy wrote:
    The daystate PCP,s are fine air rifles {if a bit pricey}.
    Inside of 35 yards they are acurate enough to cut matchsticks .
    Remmy

Amen to that ...!
    I'd say you could stretch that 35yards a bit with good ammo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 moby10

thanks for the help lads, i am living in wicklow vegeta so a bit out of the way im afraid, what sort of price would i expect to pay for
    1. a 12lb air rifle and
    2. spring powered pellet gun.
    and lastly maglight i cut the breasts out of the pigeons straight after they are shot. i dont eat the whole bird and you can pretty much eat these straight away. i get some great recipes for them out of the shooting times.they are also selling 2xpigeon breasts for €5.99 in dublin-i wonder who they are buying them off? i shot over 200 last weekend and am now strugggeling to give them away-i hate to see a bird wasted.

well my 12ft/lb air rifle was 1500 euro with pump and bag

but my brother has a 30ft/lb singleshot BSA hornet which is a lovely piece of kit. He got scope, mounts, pump and rifle for 800 euro i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 moby10

the 30lb one sounds good where did he buy it?

he got it in steve's in limerick but i'd say ring around your area and ask what they have in stock and see what deals you can get.

you should be able to get for alot cheaper

http://www.bluemoonguns.com/Budgetrifles.htm

• Advertisement

you should be able to get for alot cheaper

http://www.bluemoonguns.com/Budgetrifles.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 41 garmac

Just bought one of the B2's that are advertised on that website for £20 from another shop on www.gundeals.co.uk and it wasn't just the standard model-which has a painted stock! However they only produce 9-10 ft/lbs, despite the fact the ad says "enormously powerful".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Have a look at the CO2 powered rifles as well, they are relatively inexpensive, are multi shot, and you only have to buy the little CO2 capsules to charge them, which are about €1 each or thereabouts.

Advertisement