Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog S*!t - What to do?

Options
  • 30-08-2006 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Okay I have tried the tags you stick nearby and the green dog away stuff and the pepper dust, but Dogs are still s*!tting on the grass in front of the house.

I can't get rid of the grass and there is a tree which is the centre point for their "markings". The signs that the council had up are gone but they didn't deter their dirty owners from letting their dogs defecate on the grass that my kids walk on.

Scent is suppose to get rid of them but none of the artificial methods are working.

Any recommendations on a herb or bush to grow in the middle that will put them off?

Redman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Have you tried getting Lion sht from the Zoo?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

lol, this goes back to the cat problem I have, anyway i think the lion trick only works for cats but you could have a point CJ. I have tried all those products and after some time I have managed to stop it, once someone else is not doing it eventually they will move on and use their gardens. Coming at it from a different angle I have automatic gates on my house , since they went in I have not had one dog marking the place out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ddea

I was told before to put a clear plastic bottle about two thirds full of water lying sideways in the grass. I have tried it and it works almost all the time. Don't know why, but dogs must find it offputting. If you have a large area of grass you may need more than one bottle.

It might not look the best lying in the grass but it's certainly better than dog ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

'Talk' to the dog owners that are are allowing their pets to sh1t on your property and then not cleaning it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Every morning a yorkie from across the road comes over to my garden...crimps one off in the flower bed at the front and then proceeds to kick the sh*t out of the clay all ovet the gaff!!!Barks his h0le off and then trots back to his own place....so far Iv'e been patient....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Every morning a yorkie from across the road comes over to my garden...crimps one off in the flower bed at the front and then proceeds to kick the sh*t out of the clay all ovet the gaff!!!Barks his h0le off and then trots back to his own place....so far Iv'e been patient....
    I'd take that sh1t, wrap it in newspaper and shove it in the owners letterbox...nuff said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

ddea wrote:
    I was told before to put a clear plastic bottle about two thirds full of water lying sideways in the grass. I have tried it and it works almost all the time. Don't know why, but dogs must find it offputting. If you have a large area of grass you may need more than one bottle.

It might not look the best lying in the grass but it's certainly better than dog ****.

This is correct!

We had the same problem for years. My dad heard about this & tried it:- had no dogs sh!t in the lawn all summer.
    The neighbours have started doing it now too.

(Bit unsightly though) Better than Dog sh!t I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭hughm

I have the same prob with dog dirt on the grass verge of the pavement outside our house. There is a Lamp post right in the middle of the grass which may attract the dogs. The Irony is that this lamp post has a sign telling owners of the fines for letting their dogs foul the pavement but it is probably responsible for most of the dirt.

I suspect it is the unaccompanied muts that are doing this. I guess that these dogs "dont read none too good" or else they simply don't carry their own little pooper scooper plastic bags on an afternoon or evening preambulation!

I hate getting out of my car or crossing the road and having to navigate a mine field of shyte to get to the front door.

Those water bottles look really rank. There must be another way to stop the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

CJhaughey wrote:
    Have you tried getting Lion sht from the Zoo?
    Nope , but will it have a permanent effect i.e. no point replacing one sh*!T with another...?

wyndham wrote:
    'Talk' to the dog owners that are are allowing their pets to sh1t on your property and then not cleaning it up?
    My problem is I never see them! I'd probably fling the stuff at them now I am so p!!sed with the issue. It seems to happen during the day mostly. If I see a lonely dog , I will be ringing the warden.

• Advertisement

ddea wrote:

Thanks, I had heard about this but thought it was only for cats. I'll try it out, do the bottles have to lie on the grass - thinking of tying three low down around the base of the tree vertically?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The bottles need to be where they will interact with the sun, this glare is not liked by cats and possibly dogs, so its a sun thing. The problem with returning dogs is smell, if you can kill the smell of other dogs etc you have a good chance, plenty of washing down with strong smelling cleaners, get off my lawn, close the gate etc, soon enough someone elses garden will be the local loo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Why do the bottles work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I'd take that sh1t, wrap it in newspaper and shove it in the owners letterbox...nuff said

Yeah sure you would and then what next? Anybody put dog **** in my letterbox better be ready!

redman wrote:
    Okay I have tried the tags you stick nearby and the green dog away stuff and the pepper dust, but Dogs are still s*!tting on the grass in front of the house.

I can't get rid of the grass and there is a tree which is the centre point for their "markings". The signs that the council had up are gone but they didn't deter their dirty owners from letting their dogs defecate on the grass that my kids walk on.

Scent is suppose to get rid of them but none of the artificial methods are working.

Any recommendations on a herb or bush to grow in the middle that will put them off?

Redman

Rosemary (Prostratus) which is tough and very scented might be worth trying, or as an alternative the low growing prickly shrub Berberis Darwinii.
    If I were you I would speak to the owners, chancers are if they let their dogs ramble they don't give a toss, in which case you should contact the dog wardens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

My neighbour uses a green plastic bottle on his lawn and it works.

For problems in the side garden I use an electric fence, you only need to energise it when a new dog or cat comes around. The unit is in the garage and a bit of 6 sq cable out to the garden and then to the fence.

Yeah sure you would and then what next? Anybody put dog **** in my letterbox better be ready!

Why would it annoy you that much?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I found a council sign that had fallen off a post & put it on the tree outside my house....it actually seemed to work & we had way less sh*t outside.....

Then I got a letter from the council sayign that they would take legal action against me if I didn't remove it & threatened a €1000 fine.

I took the sign down & its cr*p city again.....

shame they don't persue the dog owners to the same degree

Why would it annoy you that much?

Why do you think I'd be annoyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Andip wrote:
    I found a council sign that had fallen off a post & put it on the tree outside my house....it actually seemed to work & we had way less sh*t outside.....
    They must be highly educated dogs round your parts Andip.
    Most of the mutts round here can't read or write.
    ;)

• Advertisement

Why do you think I'd be annoyed?

Because you'd been pissing off your neighbours? :D

Advertisement