Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband setup advice

• 30-08-2006 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I need some advice from anyone who has self installed BT broadband.

My folks just got their modem today. My dad is eager to get it up and running so I said I'd help him over the phone.

Now - it's a usb modem. So, all that's required is putting the (presumably supplied) splitter box where the phone line enters (with the phone connected in one port and the old dial-up line connected to the other).

At the other end of this line (used to connect the computer in another room for dial up) goes the USB modem which then connects to the computer.

Once they have the broadband login & password and have the software installed, everything should be ok yeah?

Cheers,
    Quad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

I installed eircom broadband thru usb, connect modem to pc thru usb cable, install software, then i connected modem, to the downstairs extension phone socket, not the main phone socket,i think you are supposed to plug in small unit into extension too,to stop interfence if some one wants to use phone while you are online.THEN depending on company ,read manual,setup, you may need to use ie to browse to the setup screen,of your router/modem, you only need to do this once, just to put in your username and password.PLUG MODEM/ROUTER INTO the esb socket first BEFORE ,you install the broadband software.turn on antivirus and download free firewall Zonealarm, as soon as you get acess to net,allso download adaware ,and spybot sd ,free antispyware programs.JUST leave your phone plugged into the main socket,use 1st extension for bband acess.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

quad_red wrote:
    Hey all,

My folks just got their modem today. My dad is eager to get it up and running so I said I'd help him over the phone.

Now - it's a usb modem. So, all that's required is putting the (presumably supplied) splitter box where the phone line enters (with the phone connected in one port and the old dial-up line connected to the other).

At the other end of this line (used to connect the computer in another room for dial up) goes the USB modem which then connects to the computer.

Once they have the broadband login & password and have the software installed, everything should be ok yeah?

Cheers,
    Quad
    You are correct.

disregard whatever tripe gamer has posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 abanazaar

quad_red wrote:
    Hey all,

Cheers,
    Quad

just a quick tip..remove the config for the existing dial up first on the pc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Thanks for the advice all.

Unfortunately, my temporary stint as phone based tech support for my dad ended up in disaster. The wires, the cds!! AAAagggghhh.

He freaked out and has stowed the modem in a sealed box under the stairs lest it blow up and destroy the computer.

So it'll be a personal call out next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

Forget USB, get a cheap 10/1000 ethernet network card, much faster and more reliable.

Regards

• Advertisement

stanley1 wrote:
    Forget USB, get a cheap 10/1000 ethernet network card, much faster and more reliable.

Regards

Could I connect the phone line directly to the network card then?

Straight from the router?

Would one of these do? http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10287
    It's a standard Dell Dimension (3 years old) so I'm presuming there would be a spare slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

quad_red wrote:
    Could I connect the phone line directly to the network card then?
    Phone line? The Phoneline plugs into the ADSL modem, which converts the signal into an ethernet signal. You use an ethernet cable to connect the router to the PC. BT used to provide a dual USB/ethernet modem - are you sure that you've got a USB only one?
    Would one of these do? http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10287
    It's a standard Dell Dimension (3 years old) so I'm presuming there would be a spare slot.
    I'd be a bit surprised if a 3 year old dimension didn't have ethernet already on the motherboard.

Check that the modem is actually a dual USB/ethernet modem (just ask them what model name and number is on the box, and check the manufacturers website). If it supports Ethernet, definitely check that the PC has an ethernet port. (Again, get the specific Dimension model number and check the CDell site). If both devices have ethernet, it's a far better choice that USB.

It's actually only 2 years old so here's hoping it has one built in.

The modem is a Zytex Prestige 600 USB modem (that's whats on the box according to my dad).

I didn't realise you could get dual usb/ethernet routers. According to what I've read on the web, this is one. So if the pc has an ethernet port, we're sailing.

Now, just have to sort out the christmas tree-esque phone set up in the living room....

Cheers guy

quad_red wrote:
    It's actually only 2 years old so here's hoping it has one built in.

The modem is a Zytex Prestige 600 USB modem (that's whats on the box according to my dad).

I didn't realise you could get dual usb/ethernet routers. According to what I've read on the web, this is one. So if the pc has an ethernet port, we're sailing.
    I'm guessing that's ZyXEL, rather than Zytex. 600 refers to a range of modems - the 660s that BT used to give out have USB and ethernet ports. The 630s are USB only. If it's a 630, you might be screwed, unless you can get BT to change it.

The main problem with the USB is that you have to install a driver that basically makes the USB port look like an ethernet port to Windows. That takes memory, which is usually something that older computers are a bit short of.

just plug usb cable into pc,then ,into modem,then telephone cable from the 1st phone extension,into the router/modem.switch on modem ,install software.YOUR broadband connection will run perfectly fine on a usb router.its not good idea to plug phone line from the main socket into router,cos someone may wanna make a phone call,use it for half an hour if you wish just to install broadband and test it .use extension no1,cos otherwise the bband connection will block incoming calls,phone plugged out,its obvious.YOU can always get ethernet router installed in 6 months time ,if you find the bband is slowed by the usb cable ,which is unlikely,i think.

• Advertisement

Can't understand where your coming from mr gamer, BT supply in-line filters with all their modems, this allows phone in/out + internet. The modem BT supplied to me was ZyXel 660RU-T1, usb + ethernet. All cables were supplied, just a simple rj45 cable between modem and computer, you say your computer is two years old, I would be very surprised if there was not an onboard network card supplied . Just plug in cable and Windows will automatically load drivers.

Best of Luck

i used eircom usb router,i ,ve never used a bt modem,i,m just saying get bband setup on usb first, install software etc you can always switch over to ethernet ,if you have a router with an ethernet interface.i installed bband on phone extension 1,if sum1 wanted to use the fax machine,they plugged out the bband phone cable from the phone socket.if you look at control panel/hardware/ device manager the ethernet card will show up,10/100 card.You should have at least 512meg ram on a winxp pc to use bband effectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ordered BT myself a few days back, the choice was a usb only modem or a wireless one with 4 rj45 ports.

I tried the old trick of saying I've a mac to get the ethernet modem, but alas the USB is compatibile with OSX.

Long story short, I took the wireless one for an extra 45 euro.

(if you space your posts out, it allows other readers to read easier)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Seriously, it's better to ignore gamer's posts. He talks so thoroughly through his behind that it's quite likely his mouth is something that has been made redundant through evolution.

It's only a theory at present, but once I prove it I'll be famous in the anthropological community.

If you really want top speeds go to eBay and search for an Alcatel pci speedtouch internal modem, this just sits into a spare pci slot, a little bit of work to set it up (use win2k drivers) but wll worth the effort. Just remember this is purely an adsl modem and not suitable for networking (no rj45 or usb port). Works great on my BTBB connection

Regards

I should have said that BT will not support this modem, if you ring support they will just blank you. I have used this modem for a year and it's rock solid.

Cheers

stanley1 wrote:
    If you really want top speeds
    Will it make your 1Mb/s DSL connection faster than a 100Mb/s ethernet connection?

(That's a rhetorical question - no answer needed).

Ok, here goes, Using the speed test below, the best I could do with the BT supplied ZyXel was 820 kbps wheras with the internal modem this rose to 885 kbps. Go figure!

http://www.irishisptest.com/login.php?meh=0

stanley1 wrote:
    Ok, here goes, Using the speed test below, the best I could do with the BT supplied ZyXel was 820 kbps wheras with the internal modem this rose to 885 kbps. Go figure!
    You said "top speeds". What speeds did you get when you replaced the ZyXEL with a D-Link or Linksys router? Or the Zyxel in bridged model with any other router?

Zyxel in bridge mode was marginally better but not very noticeable over PPPoE, I hope to get access to a to a Linskys modem/router wed. next week, all my network points are hard - wired with cat 6 cable, is it possible that there is a gigabit (10/1000/1000) combined out there.

Regards

• Advertisement

stanley1 wrote:
    Zyxel in bridge mode was marginally better but not very noticeable over PPPoE, I hope to get access to a to a Linskys modem/router wed. next week, all my network points are hard - wired with cat 6 cable, is it possible that there is a gigabit (10/1000/1000) combined out there.
    A quick google for gigabit router suggests that DLink, Linksys and Netgear all have Gigabit routers, at least in the newer rangemax/speedbooster/MIMO versions.

For non-wireless routers, the DLink DGL-4100, the Linksys RVS4000, and I can't see one on a quick scan on the Netgear site.

Advertisement