Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Imported car from UK, NCT Q's??

• 30-08-2006 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭

I have a car, which I imported in June, I made some errors with the paperwork and this held up the whole show for nearly 6 weeks, anyway I have since paid the VRT and Taxed and Insured it. However I am still missing that hated yellow square.

I have being reading up on the Sticky here "Importing a Car…." and on the new website www.importyourcar.net and it seems to suggest that that if I was to get the car NCT Tested now it would only be due until the anniversary of the first Registration of the Vehicle (Dec 1997 in my case). Would I be correct in thinking that If I NCT'd it now in either August or September that I would only get a cert until December???? December 1997 being the date of the Car's original registration in the UK.

Any help would be appreciated as I was going to take the Irish VRC (logbook), which only recently arrived recently into the NCT centre and get it on the system to book an NCT Test, Seeming I couldn't do it online or over the phone. €49 to a Swiss company, what a rip-off I for certain won't be paying it twice, regardless of what I drive or who I am. SEE BELOW ↓↓↓↓↓

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Have you rung the NCT and asked them?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You must NCT the car as soon as it arrives and then again on the next anniversary that it would normally be due. So yes, you need to NCT it now and again in December.
    Typical of the unfair motoring system we have here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Anan1 wrote:
    Have you rung the NCT and asked them?

Been there done that, some skanger from the North side I have heard more brains in my 14 year old dog, talk about a bunch of muppets, didn't have an absolute clue, that's the private system for you. I am going to consult a relative who works in the motor trade and see what he says. Not that I care anyway, I have Tax and Insurance and to heck with the NCT it is their prerogative to issue me with a call for the NCT now as far as I am concerned, the car is MOT'd till next year so any gardai will be shown that should they get thick with me.

netwhizkid wrote:
    some skanger from the North side
    North side of what?
    netwhizkid wrote:
    Not that I care anyway, I have Tax and Insurance and to heck with the NCT it is their prerogative to issue me with a call for the NCT now as far as I am concerned, the car is MOT'd till next year so any gardai will be shown that should they get thick with me.
    Im not sure if the onus is on them to make the initial contact. However, in general the gardai don't care about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

If it has an MOT then your insurance company should be fine with that and that's the main thing.

Once you get the certificate of ownership you can ring and book a test for the NCT. No more complicated than that in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I was told when I registered the car in the VRT office that I NCT it the next time I go to tax it, so that will be in another 9 months!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Strangely enough, I was onto them today about booking a test for my car which was imported there last month.

Was informed that because they didn't have any meaningful record of my car, they want me to fax through the VLC to them and they'll put me down for a test then. Sounds a bit unusual to say the least. I'll hold fire for a bit anyway until I talk to a fella I know who imports a lot of cars.

Oh, and netwhizkid, I guarantee you if it was civil servants running the service, you'd still find yourself complaining on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Black Sky

Robbo wrote:
    Strangely enough, I was onto them today about booking a test for my car which was imported there last month.

Was informed that because they didn't have any meaningful record of my car, they want me to fax through the VLC to them and they'll put me down for a test then. Sounds a bit unusual to say the least. I'll hold fire for a bit anyway until I talk to a fella I know who imports a lot of cars.

Oh, and netwhizkid, I guarantee you if it was civil servants running the service, you'd still find yourself complaining on the internet.

I did a NCT on a Jap import recently. I went in with the VLC after I received it, so they can put it on their system. Could then book a test.
    Stupid system, they should be able to get the details direct from Shannon. Of course when I tried to book a test online no available dates in any centre in the country for next 6 months so had to ring up to book the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

yop wrote:
    I was told when I registered the car in the VRT office that I NCT it the next time I go to tax it, so that will be in another 9 months!!

Have you taxed your Car already?? I paid the VRT at the end of July and taxed it only this month, I was driving it with the English plates for a good bit as we organised temp insurance cover. It had valid Tax disk until October, but I made a deal with the garage to send it back to him which knocked off £90, (I never told him when I'd send it back though ;) and only sent it off last week so got a little extra value out of it :D

Anyways I taxed my Car in Tralee until August 2007, so would this mean I am not obliged to NCT the Car until then??
    kbannon wrote:
    North side of what?

Sorry I meant the North as in Northern Ireland, Is just me or does anyone else have problems understanding them and there dodgy accents? I find it the same with Scottish when I ring up Sky. And funnily I can understand the majority of the Polish, Latvians etc much more easier than the Northerners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

I paid the vrt on my import back in February after driving it round on uk plates for 2months. And then didnt tax it till end of May after getting a form signed by the guards saying it was off the road for past 3months. :D

I still havent heard anything from the Nct fags and aint going looking for it either. I reckon my car will fail only on my nice blue-bulbed angeleyes and cant be bothered changing the bulbs to yellows for their scammy test. Plus i`d rather hang onto the E49 aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,016 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

netwhizkid wrote:
    to heck with the NCT it is their prerogative to issue me with a call for the NCT

It's not, I'm afraid. It's up to the registered owner to ensure that their vehicle complies with any statutory requirements. Any notice from the NCT (or Motor tax Office) is issued as a matter of courtesy only.
    netwhizkid wrote:
    does anyone else have problems understanding them and there dodgy accents?
    No, they are a lot easier to understand than those with dodgy Kerry accents. :D
    netwhizkid wrote:
    I find it the same with Scottish when I ring up Sky
    Same here!

netwhizkid wrote:
    Sorry I meant the North as in Northern Ireland, Is just me or does anyone else have problems understanding them and there dodgy accents? I find it the same with Scottish when I ring up Sky. And funnily I can understand the majority of the Polish, Latvians etc much more easier than the Northerners.
    My wife (from Belfast) and myself have plenty of conversations and no problems understanding her!
    The only problem with the sky reps was the fact that I ordered sky (a couple of times) and the idiots never ordered the installer for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Nuttzy wrote:
    I paid the vrt on my import back in February after driving it round on uk plates for 2months. And then didnt tax it till end of May after getting a form signed by the guards saying it was off the road for past 3months. :D

I still havent heard anything from the Nct fags and aint going looking for it either. I reckon my car will fail only on my nice blue-bulbed angeleyes and cant be bothered changing the bulbs to yellows for their scammy test. Plus i`d rather hang onto the E49 aswell.

wasn't aware all the NCT were fags...

with a bit of luck someone will report your next import when you're on yellow plates and/or driving around with no tax for 6 months.

BTW, NCT won't contact you on the import, that's your job.

Advertisement