Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance - 18 y/o on a Civic 1.3

• 30-08-2006 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

I'm getting a Civic 1.3 (92-94) and I want to know where to look for Insurance. I'm 18 , hoping to get a full-licence within the next two months. I've had a provisional since last October but I have no experience driving as of yet. I'm looking to get my own policy. Getting insured as a named driver on my parents policy is out of the question really...

So can anyone tell me what the most suitable insurance companies to go to are?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

AJ! wrote:
    I'm getting a Civic 1.3 (92-94) and I want to know where to look for Insurance. I'm 18 , hoping to get a full-licence within the next two months. I've had a provisional since last October but I have no experience driving as of yet. I'm looking to get my own policy. Getting insured as a named driver on my parents policy is out of the question really...

Because of your age and the age of the car I would imagine Quinn Direct as most places won't take a car that old as it being your first insurance but it will be pricey!! Expect about the 2500 to 6 k mark!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

go to quinn but it's gonna be high, or go and do the AXA ignition course when you get your license. that might help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I'd recommend getting a 1.0 litre Fiat Chinquicento or sequento, 95-97.
    You'll have less hassle getting insured and once you have worked up a few years no claims in it you'll have less hassle and cost getting insured in a civic or the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Umm. Insurance will be quite expensive for you, best bet is get on as a named driver on the policy, you can build up a no claims bonus this way, my sister did this for a year and a half and she is now insured with Quinn Direct for only €100 more than her "named driver policy". I drive a 1.6litre BMW 316 and am 19 on a provisional licence I got cover for €946 as a named driver with my father as the policy holder, It is a 1997 valued at €12,000. I'm with Hibernian through a Dublin brokerage.

Honda Civics are notorious anyway as they are associated with Chav Scum "Boy Racer" culture and are involved in a high percentage of accidents. Besides they are not really fashionable and you could probably get a much nicer car which would cost less to insure. Maybe a sensible Toyota or Volkswagen Golf ??

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Kaos Theory

netwhizkid wrote:
    Umm. Insurance will be quite expensive for you, best bet is get on as a named driver on the policy, you can build up a no claims bonus this way, my sister did this for a year and a half and she is now insured with Quinn Direct for only €100 more than her "named driver policy". I drive a 1.6litre BMW 316 and am 19 on a provisional licence I got cover for €946 as a named driver with my father as the policy holder, It is a 1997 valued at €12,000. I'm with Hibernian through a Dublin brokerage.

Honda Civics are notorious anyway as they are associated with Chav Scum "Boy Racer" culture and are involved in a high percentage of accidents. Besides they are not really fashionable and you could probably get a much nicer car which would cost less to insure. Maybe a sensible Toyota or Volkswagen Golf ??

Civics are also one of the most stolen cars in the country.

What was the name of the brokerage that handled your insurance NWK?

Kaos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

netwhizkid wrote:

id say glanzas are more "chav scum buy racer" my granny drives a 1.3 dx civic hatch,alloys on it too!!i often catch her down dollymount beach drag racing. he should stick with the sensible 1.3 turbo glanza i suppose.......
    girls if you want speed get a classic mini it will cane most boy racer ****heaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Why are you getting a 1.3, i take it its an import which will probably be more expensive with insurance companies. Just get a 1.4i irish/uk model civic, prob be cheaper to insure than a 1.3import.

Quinn and Axa are your only options on a provisional i think, if your parents are insured with Fbd they`ll give you a quote if the car isnt a mad yoke but it`ll be expensive. I reckon go with Quinn direct and go for the civic, no matter what car you get your 1st yr will be high with any insurance company but in your 2nd yr with quinn it`ll be half the price of the 1st year.

Please dont take the posters advice to buy a knackery fiat that`ll be more hassle than its worth and a false economy in the long run as you`ll want to sell and buy a civic after you get the 1st yrs Ncb anyway.

Get the car you want, your civic, at least you`ll respect and mind it rather than some yoke you`d just have bought for cheap insurance, etc..

Please put your bull**** statement in the past tense. They were back in 1990, security is class on them these days. No worse than other manufacturers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Nuttzy wrote:
    Why are you getting a 1.3, i take it its an import which will probably be more expensive with insurance companies. Just get a 1.4i irish/uk model civic, prob be cheaper to insure than a 1.3import.

Very true. Japs cost more to insure but cheaper to buy but trust me on this parts are harder to get you wouldn't believe the amount of variations depending on what model/year you have.

My first year I got a quote €4500 fully comp, in the end I chose 3rd Party for €3700. After you do year one, shop around a bit and get a cheaper quote. Then go back to quinn (because they will keep the renewal high) and they might match it or go a hundred cheaper. Fully comp was affordable for me after year 1 (I got it for €2700). Mind you there are no significant price decreases until you hit 25 at which point your insurance should drop around 50& (ish).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nuttzy wrote:
    Please put your bull**** statement in the past tense. They were back in 1990, security is class on them these days. No worse than other manufacturers.

old Civics and CRX's are often stolen (like the one in question) because there is very little security on them from factory, and people often overlook a good security system in favour of Lexus lights and other tat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Nuttzy wrote:
    dont take the posters advice to buy a knackery fiat that`ll be more hassle than its worth and a false economy in the long run

right on. couldn't have put it better myself.

civic is a stylish economical reliable motor. i've had two and an integra and i've never had trouble getting the handful of parts i've needed, they are all over scrap yards (cos most are over 12 yrs by now). i've never had to pay too much for insurance, and i've never heard of anyone getting one stolen. and as i have posted elsewhere they are the ideal learner's car IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I reckon if you aren't bothered by paying the bit extra for the Civic's insurance, it's a good buy. Sure, they're a bit dear for the age , but there's always demand for them and you won't lose too much money on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

What was the name of the brokerage that handled your insurance NWK?

Kaos

Halligan Insurances are the brokerage, my family have been using them for about the last ten years, they were called McCarthy Insurances before as far as I remember. The quote I received isn't for a full year just until the end of May but it is still ten months and I am happy with the pricing. My older sister was a named driver of my fathers policy until I got the BMW and we then switched the policy onto the BMW and she got her own policy with Quinn Direct. She having a full licence helped her big time as did having one years no claims bonus from being a named driver.

Sorry to make derogatory comments about the Civic as they are an okay car if treated that way but many of them get abused etc. I remember about 5 years ago in secondary school all my peers were into them I never warmed on them some how. Us boys and our toys. Now if ever the pacman smilie was needed this is the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

AJ! wrote:

I'm afraid generally when you mention 18 year old male, currently with a provisional license, 0 years NCB and Honda Civic to insurance companies, alarm bells tend to ring. All these factors tend to tick the boxes for insurance companies to load your premium.

The fact that the car is a 1.3 litre and over 10 years old will not help your cause either. Expect to pay well over the cost of the car anyway imo.

The best thing to do is get the golden pages out and start ringing around. My guess is that Quinn Direct or Axa may be your best hope.

You might find that you may have to look at cars that are less high profile than the Honda Civic with insurance companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Get a quote online with quinn. Insurance on a civic will be low enough since its a 1.3 and not a vtec.

I was checking a quote for myself there on quinn and put in the Op`s details out of interest. Wasnt expecting it to be this bad:
    €4,204.02 3rd party,F+T, on a 1.3Dx civic 1993

€3,466.33 3rd partyF+T, on a 1997 1.4i srs 4dr 1997 (Theres a 1.4i srs 3drhatch model but wasnt specifically listed so i picked the saloon but would be same price i think)

With full license on the 1.4 its €2,737.46 (I forgot to try the 1st quote with a full license, sure you can do that yourself.)

Both cars i valued at E4500, just picked at random

Them quotes are for 18yr old with no NCB.
    If OP could get a yrs driving experience on parents policy it would help, cause quinn will allow you use that as a 1yrs NCB in your own name.

If you get a full license and insured on the parents yoke over the next year, you could in theory get a nice quote if you wait 1 more year and be armed with full license and 1yrs Ncb from folks policy. E3500 is a lot to spend at 18, you might regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

oh to be 18 again... that does seem a bit pricey alright. I though €1900 was high on a golf v6 4 motion.

I wonder would the quotes be as high on a micra/starlet tho' :confused: might just be weighted on age and lack of experience more so than the civic.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Kaos Theory

Nuttzy wrote:

I was refering to the OPs Civic, an early 90s model, when security was pretty poor on them.

Kaos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭AJ!

Thanks for the help from everyone.

I'm not a boy racer or anything, I just like the Civic. I'll probably go for an EG but if I can get the money together I'm gonna get an EK. The insurance is pretty high but that's just the way it is...

Anyway, I have to get my driving test before I do anything:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Little bit of advice, definately get insurance on your parents car, i speak from experence,

in feb i started driving under my mams insurance 1.0 Arosa fully comp ins was €1100, did that for a few months, and got my own car 1.4 almera tpf&t ins was €2181.

that was with quinn, me 19yo male provisonal.

beleve me sacrafice for a few months and then get your own car, it WILL be worth it in the end.

-VB-

• Advertisement

Volvoboy wrote:
    Little bit of advice, definately get insurance on your parents car, i speak from experence,

in feb i started driving under my mams insurance 1.0 Arosa fully comp ins was €1100, did that for a few months, and got my own car 1.4 almera tpf&t ins was €2181.

that was with quinn, me 19yo male provisonal.

beleve me sacrafice for a few months and then get your own car, it WILL be worth it in the end.

-VB-
    What good is 4months, did they give you a yrs Ncb for 4months named experience or something?

Advertisement