Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland 10/1 to win

• 30-08-2006 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

Betfair odds

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaking/story.asp?j=159251760&p=y59z5z34x&n=159252369

reland are an incredible 10-1 on Betfair.com to beat Germany in their Euro 2008 qualifier in Stuttgart this Saturday – largely due to the lack of confidence among the betting public.

“On Betfair, it's the betting public who set the odds, and this is perhaps the biggest vote of 'no confidence' we've seen in an Ireland team for a decade,” said Betfair's Eoin Ryan.

“Not so long ago it was conceivable that we could get a result away to Germany, but now you can have 10-1, and all the smart money is on a German win.”

If anyone wants to take a punt. Personally speaking I'd want 100/1.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

once again Ireland have their tag as Underdogs back.... Believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

.... Believe
    ...in what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mad Dog

I'd want 10-1 with a 2 goal start TBH :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

why do some of ye bother supporting if thats the attitude?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

like in the Gunniess ads just... Believe

The Germans defense for this match is incredibly bad (even worse than ours) who now maybe the Irish underdogs can shock everone at 10/1. On our day we can beat them as the Sweden match showed and Ray Houghton says, Anything can happen in 90minutes. This isnt to say i expect it but god dammit im never going to Stop believing in our boys. Their underdogs not no-hopers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭zacharius

Well spoken Bounty Hunter

Being the underdogs suits us much better. If robbie and duff really raise their game I think the other lads on the team could well surprise some of us - there is talent there just not a load of experience. Its a big ask given that germany are on a roll these days but why not? Depends on what way we start - if we go out all fired up and make an impact it could be enough to see us thru the 90 mins.

Funny ole game football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Any estimates on how many Irish fans are likely to be in the stadium for the match? I presume we'll have a decent percentage.

Also how have Germany done so far with their new manager?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭sonofsam

It#ll be a long time before we make the final again pops....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

As Ireland supporters (real supporters not fair weather supporters who take all the tickets for the big games) we always believer we can win no matter what the odds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

seansouth wrote:
    ...in what?
    Our keeper is at least as good as theirs. Our defence is at least as good as theirs. Our wingers are better than theirs. Keane is better than Podolski. What they have over us is Klose and the central midfield partnership of Frings and Ballack. They're not in a different league. Here's a post from Stuttgart88 on foot.ie which I certainly agree with:
    I see this game as an almost mirror image of Amsterdam in September 2000. The best 65 minutes away from home we've played in recent times and, despite the subsequent debate, a crucial away point and 2 homepoints our rivals failed to get.

There are some good omens, for the superstitious:

The Dutch, the hosts of Euro 2000 only 2 months earlier, were beaten in the SF by Italy. The Germans were hosts of the recent WC and lost in the SF to Italy. France & Italy contested the final in each competition.

The Dutch impressed big time in Euro 2000 despite being unfancied and having a controversially appointed young manager, Rijkaard. He resigned after losing to Italy. Germany's performance in WC06 was almost identical, and for Rijkaard read Klinsmann.

In 2000 we were expected to be thumped. If I recall we were beaten at home to both Scotland & Greece in the run up. We also had injuries back then.

Fingers crossed, but we'll need a hell of a performance & a decent bit of luck. No fancy tactics please Stan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

ziggy67 wrote:
    I reckon 10-1 is a cracking bet for an Ireland win.

I don't think they will but that is a huge price in a three-horse-race.

Ziggy,

the 10/1 is for Ireland to win against Germany not the group. Unless I'm reading it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I haven't checked anywhere other than betfair - and there odds of 10 actually mean 9/1 - still good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

We'll get a point.

Some would call it blind optomisim, but I always believe when any 11 men walk onto a field wearing Irish jerseys and their backs to the wall, they pull off the unimaginable.

It's the resulting good oppertunitys when we absolutely blow it!!

Believe!

At 10-1 why not throw a tenner on? If you win it's a great night out, if you lose it's 2 pints...just leave before your round comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

10.5 now. The AH is worth looking at aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

This is International football , shocks happen all the time Northern Ireland 1-0 England and loads of other examples from the last qualifying campaign where teams were given much less chance of winning then we have against Germany .

It's not unconceivable that we will win or what I see as a likely result us drawing .

Given , Finnan , Dunne , O'Brien , Harte/O'Shea , McGeady , Reid , Kilbane/Kavanagh , Duff , keane , Doyle . I see that as the team likely to be picked and tbh despite there being some obvious enough weaknesses I believe that it's strong enough to pull off the upset .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

think ill put a tenner on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

Ziggy,

the 10/1 is for Ireland to win against Germany not the group. Unless I'm reading it wrong.

Horse 1: Ireland win the match
    Horse 2: Germany win the match
    Horse 3: Match is drawn

Therefore, he's right, its a threee horse race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nick wrote:
    Some would call it blind optomisim, but I always believe when any 11 men walk onto a field wearing Irish jerseys and their backs to the wall, they pull off the unimaginable.

I take it you missed the dutch game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus at those odds its worth a punt.

Its 7-1 for an Ireland win on Paddy Power at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

whats the draw worth?

Ireland wont defeat Germany in their own backyard. I wish they would. They might however get a draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Trilla wrote:
    whats the draw worth?

Ireland wont defeat Germany in their own backyard. I wish they would. They might however get a draw

up until i read that, i was hopeful of a win or a draw, but now that has kicked reality into full gear. we havent a hope. sorry. im still hopin for a win tho! :D

The_B_Man wrote:
    up until i read that, i was hopeful of a win or a draw, but now that has kicked reality into full gear. we havent a hope. sorry. im still hopin for a win tho! :D

:D hope is all u got EC!

dont forget me ordinary degree! ;)

oh, and a job! :p

lookin forward to this match actually. dont have the same buzz as i had with our games last campaign. maybe ill get the butterflys closer to kick off!

The_B_Man wrote:
    dont forget me ordinary degree! ;)

I laughed
    The_B_Man wrote:
    oh, and a job! :p

I cried, with envy and anger!!
    The_B_Man wrote:
    lookin forward to this match actually. dont have the same buzz as i had with our games last campaign. maybe ill get the butterflys closer to kick off!

as am I, hopefully (how come I always use that word talkin about us now) Robbie can sneak a goal

well if all else fails, and we're 1-0 down after 89 mins, we should stick Doc up front and hopefully he can do a Quinner and lay the long ball off to Keane, like in WC2002. haha what are the odds?

The_B_Man wrote:
    well if all else fails, and we're 1-0 down after 89 mins, we should stick Doc up front and hopefully he can do a Quinner and lay the long ball off to Keane, like in WC2002. haha what are the odds?

I'l give you 1000/1 on that scenario right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Trilla wrote:
    I'l give you 1000/1 on that scenario right now

Do you not rememeber the Roy keane as the new sunderland manager bet?!

haha ill take it so!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Stekelly wrote:
    I take it you missed the dutch game?

Sure friendlies mean nothing, especially where all the difference makers are missing. Germany are much better on paper, but fortunately its played on grass, there's always a chance Duff or Robbie could pull off 10 seconds of magic in the 90minutes and set up or score a goal, especially against the defence they're facing. Doesnt matter how much possession germany get, ireland will get a handfull of chances, just depends who they fall to and what they do with them. Lets just hope this time the golden oppertunity falls to an in form keane or doyle instead of o'Shea!

My 10's on now anyway ftw. Also said fckit and threw on a quadruple for the U20 USA ladies to beat U20 China ladies, England to beat Andorra, Czech to beat Wales and Brazil to win at home against Argentina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bollox. Only put that one down as they each usually have massive difficulty beating the other away! Still obviously a decent chance of the Brazil win but feeling a lot less confident about it. Typically its the last one too that'll prob feck me up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

p.pete wrote:
    Any estimates on how many Irish fans are likely to be in the stadium for the match? I presume we'll have a decent percentage.

Also how have Germany done so far with their new manager?
    Not sure, but reports say that there's due to be a hell of a lot of Irish there due to the German Eventim site disaster. But I''m definitely gonna be there so I'm really looking forward to it. It's just a pity that so many Irish "fans" are writing us off so much. Anything can happen in 90 minutes. Fingers crossed it goes our way!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

BaZmO* wrote:
    Not sure, but reports say that there's due to be a hell of a lot of Irish there due to the German Eventim site disaster. But I''m definitely gonna be there so I'm really looking forward to it. It's just a pity that so many Irish "fans" are writing us off so much. Anything can happen in 90 minutes. Fingers crossed it goes our way!!

I'll be there too. I've have some serious faith as I've put a TON on Ireland on betfair :eek:

I won 300 yo yo's on Italy winning the world cup so I said F it I'll go for it. The more we are been writen off the more confident I'm getting. The best underdogs in the world. The worst favorites in the world.

Also Germany have never beaten Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'm definatly taking some of this from betfair.

It's crazy odds.

I know Ireland very possibly will not win but

A: 10-1 in a two(three) horse race is crazy
    B: Germany have no central defenders
    C: We can score goals if Robbie, Duff, McGeedy and Doyle play well
    D: Germany probably will score but this doesn't mean they will(see Arsenal lately)
    E: Klose and Plodowski are nbot ricky players per say, if Dunne and O'Brien stand tall then a clean sheet isn't beyond us.

Now I know everyones saying Germany will win but look at the odds people!!!

Anyone give me a pound for a tenner if ireland win? Of course you would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

I took the draw for 30 and the win for 50, tbh i am pretty happy with the squad, yes it could be stronger but it aint that weak, i think we'll get a result, especially with the German defence, if the stars of out team have big games i can see us winning without doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Ireland havent won an away competitive match against a top ranking team in nearly 20 years.
    9.5-1 is a good bet but I dont see Ireland winning .

Advertisement