Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl "needs To Peer In Uk And Ireland Not Holland!!"

Options
  • 30-08-2006 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Guys these are the reasons why NTL needs to peer in UK and INEX

1. VOIP has gone to hell with NTL lately ! delay lagg whatever
    2. Pings to UK and Irish server are 100+ (20ms before the Chello handover)
    3. Tracert to irish IP bounce all-over Europe before return to Ireland
    4. Web pages are taking time to load! Especially Irish Ones!! WIth BB this should not be the case
    5.The have moved up the Boards.ie charts of BB providers that peple never moaned about but are moaning about "allot" lately!

/end rant

Anyone agree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

INEX should be enough. Before the unholy mess, all was well with 'old' NTL Ireland peering with INEX.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ireland is an English speaking country. So it shouldn't be any surprise that the vast majority of Irish traffic goes to Ireland, the UK and US.

So it is ridiculous that it is going to Amsterdam, little or no Irish traffic is destined for mainland Europe.

All Irish traffic should be going through INEX.
    UK traffic should be going straight to the UK or through INEX to the UK.
    And US traffic should be going out of Ireland or through the UK.

NTL/UPC need to badly sort this problem. If not they will be going from one of the best ISP's in Ireland to one of the worst and will be losing many Irish customers to Irish ISP's like Smart and Magnet.

What I don't get is that routing Irish traffic through international pipes is going to cost a lot more then just peering in INEX.

I can only hope that they have the INEX peering on the way and it won't take long, otherwise NTL/UPC will be going down quickly in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

bk wrote:
    Ireland is an English speaking country. So it shouldn't be any surprise that the vast majority of Irish traffic goes to Ireland, the UK and US.

So it is ridiculous that it is going to Amsterdam, little or no Irish traffic is destined for mainland Europe.

All Irish traffic should be going through INEX.
    UK traffic should be going straight to the UK or through INEX to the UK.
    And US traffic should be going out of Ireland or through the UK.

NTL/UPC need to badly sort this problem. If not they will be going from one of the best ISP's in Ireland to one of the worst and will be losing many Irish customers to Irish ISP's like Smart and Magnet.

What I don't get is that routing Irish traffic through international pipes is going to cost a lot more then just peering in INEX.

I can only hope that they have the INEX peering on the way and it won't take long, otherwise NTL/UPC will be going down quickly in Ireland.

here here well put!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

https://www.inex.ie/about/memberlist

Well it looks like UPC joined INEX on the 1st of July, but it looks like they haven't set up any peering with the other members yet.

https://www.inex.ie/technical/peeringmatrix

Hopefully they will be peering soon, they better.

man where do you get this info!! lol!!

Hopefully they will get this peering sorted ASAP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

NTL Ireland are still listed. You'd wonder why the purchase of NTL Ireland didn't include the peering. Would have made life a lot easier and better for everyone.

But maybe it doesn't work that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

All in its own good time. NTL peering was never quick (I mean the setting up thereof, not the actual peering traffic), so I presume the handoff to UPC is going to take ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

INEX should be enough. Before the unholy mess, all was well with 'old' NTL Ireland peering with INEX.

Personally for me it was terrible for ages, then they finally improved it so that its what you'd expect from DSL, only for it to disimprove massively again. If I had a choice I wouldn't be with NTL for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I spent about an hour trying to get a few pages to load the other night. Unsure whether it was NTL or my laptop I decided I would 'borrow' my neighbours Smart connection for 10 minutes. whoa and behold the stuff loaded instantly. I have been very happy with NTL up until the end of July, they really better get this sorted soon or off to Smart I go and I doubt I will be the only one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

At the risk of getting killed, I have to say my NTL's been fine here in Waterford
    gaming pings and voip etc :)

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote:
    At the risk of getting killed, I have to say my NTL's been fine here in Waterford
    gaming pings and voip etc :)

are you routing throught NL ? strange! :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

As a longtime NTL 'observer' on the basis that I might have to go with them sometime whats worrying in the whole changeover thing is the apparent total lack of communications with customers. If it does not occur to the new owners that it would be wise to communicate with customers during such a major change what hope is there for the future?

It looks like 'NTL's' customer service has disimproved dramatically (not that I ever thought that would be possible!)

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

This might expain why my VOIP has gone to the dogs

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dub45 wrote:
    It looks like 'NTL's' customer service has disimproved dramatically (not that I ever thought that would be possible!)

Well they are closing down their Waterford call center so that probably hasn't helped I'd imagine :)

dub45 wrote:

I was worried this would happen. I've been saying for a long time that Chorus CS was far worse the NTL. That I actually found NTL's BB CS to be very good. It seems that UPC is using more Chorus people then NTL. That is a really bad idea, NTL is light years ahead of Chorus.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

browsing, gaming... whatever, the last month has been horrible, its very frustrating because everything is so slow to load/open and pings are through the roof. Hope this gets sorted very soon.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bk wrote:
    I was worried this would happen. I've been saying for a long time that Chorus CS was far worse the NTL. That I actually found NTL's BB CS to be very good. It seems that UPC is using more Chorus people then NTL. That is a really bad idea, NTL is light years ahead of Chorus.

Well we will agree to differ on our respective experience of NTL (mine admittedly has been on the tv side though consistently dire over many years):) However from what I have read in the recent NTL threads it is not a question of which staff the new owners are actually using they appear not have made any effort whatsover to communicate with their own staff.:eek:

Now any idiot could have foreseen that such a move (no matter how well it might go) would still result in problems for customers and that some form of communication strategy both for staff and customers would be essential but obviously that was beyond these UPC ''geniuses'':rolleyes:
    NTL is light years ahead of Chorus

The mind doth truly double and treble boggle that such a thing is possible:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

So what's the latest on this? I'm getting NTL BB tomorrow and I presume this routing through europe mullarkey isnt going to help ping times for online gaming no matter what bandwidth I have.

Also, what's an INEX and how does it improve things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

Drapper wrote:
    Thanks, I was just being lazy though. So i guess NTL is still going through holland then? I'll do a traceroute tomorrow and if it's still going through holland then it's time to start emailing/phoning/badgering NTL to give us a real broadband connection not just secondhand data. (not literally secondhand but you know what I mean)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Well i find that early morning and lunch time i get good pings like 20 - 30 while gaming, but i mean wtf is with it, i only got ntl BB 3 weeks ago and i havent properly seen a good ping yet, when is this problem supposed to be fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

explains why my ping times to european servers are better than uk servers surprisingly..

pingtimes to uk servers on my 6meg BB are 50-60 which is a joke

who do i email or contact about this problem, i have done tracerts only to show this only to well at this stage. In honesty my ping times seem to go up as soon as the routing hits tiscali (which i thought was a uk based company)

example:

2 6 ms 6 ms 5 ms 089-101-162105.ntlworld.ie [89.101.162.105]
    3 5 ms 10 ms 7 ms 213.46.165.17
    4 39 ms 35 ms 35 ms nl-ams-rc-01-pos-0-1.chellonetwork.com [213.46.1
    60.13]
    5 36 ms 35 ms 35 ms 213.46.183.81
    6 46 ms 49 ms 44 ms ge-3-1-7.ams11.ip.tiscali.net [213.200.75.57]
    7 50 ms 46 ms 45 ms so-3-1-0.lon22.ip.tiscali.net [213.200.80.30]
    8 52 ms 47 ms 48 ms burstfire-gw.ip.tiscali.net [213.200.78.134]
    9 48 ms 47 ms 47 ms po-2-0-700-cr2.sov.as9153.net [82.136.0.205]
    10 46 ms 51 ms 45 ms otto.b33f.net [82.136.37.25]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

i may also add that download speeds have been eratic of recent times, at peak times the speed is slow yet after midnight im hitting 450-500kb/s no problem...

• fracture wrote:
    Well i find that early morning and lunch time i get good pings like 20 - 30 while gaming, but i mean wtf is with it, i only got ntl BB 3 weeks ago and i havent properly seen a good ping yet, when is this problem supposed to be fixed?
    I have it just under a month m8, the first week was shocking 100 - 140 during the day hahaha but the lsat 2 weeks ive been getting 20 -30
    Now this evening its gone back to the way it was. 100 - 120 on a 3 meg line ha i dont think so. I emailed ntl and i took them 2 weeks to emailo me back, all they said was can you send your address and account number and we will 'look into it'
    Can you smell the bull****?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

just did a dns lookup on my ipaddress ... and ntl is connected thru chello.com somewhere... www.chello.ie is registered by upc... could this be their new isp?

brian_rbk wrote:
    just did a dns lookup on my ipaddress ... and ntl is connected thru chello.com somewhere... www.chello.ie is registered by upc... could this be their new isp?

NTL - UPC - Chello (all same)

Advertisement