Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick question: 96 Corsa

Options
  • 30-08-2006 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Just a quickie (ohh er missus!)

My sister-in-law has been offered a '96 corsa with 70K on the clock for €500.
    There's 7 months gone on the NCT.

Assuming it pases a mechanical check (which may almost double the price) is there anything else that should be looked for on this year/model?

Will it have to get NCTd every year from the next time on since it'll be 10+ years old?

Good deal? Y/N?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

I am no expert on cars. I would say try to ask for a full tank of fuel !!!
    atleast :)

rest looks ok to me !

I am looking for a car for myself too !
    i am interested in
    Toyota yaris or may be ford focus !! depending which one i get in good condition in my very limited budget ! good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

for €500 don't expect anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Check its got power steering, they are pretty lumpy without it. I drove a 96 model 1.2l for a while and it was perfectly decent transport if you have modest expectations.

NCT is every two years regardless of age. Until its a classic (+30) and then you need never test it (ain't that great?!).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mike65 wrote:
    Check its got power steering, they are pretty lumpy without it. I drove a 96 model 1.2l for a while and it was perfectly decent transport if you have modest expectations.

NCT is every two years regardless of age. Until its a classic (+30) and then you need never test it (ain't that great?!).

Mike.

A 1996 Corsa is very unlikely to have power steering unless it is a top of the range model.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

manchine wrote:
    Just a quickie (ohh er missus!)

My sister-in-law has been offered a '96 corsa with 70K on the clock for €500.
    There's 7 months gone on the NCT.

Assuming it pases a mechanical check (which may almost double the price) is there anything else that should be looked for on this year/model?

Will it have to get NCTd every year from the next time on since it'll be 10+ years old?

Good deal? Y/N?

In this price range of car there are a few basic checks you need to do imho:
    • Check the bodywork for any signs of rust or serious damage.
    • Check the engine bay and underneath the car for any signs of leaking fluids.
    • Check the car drives ok and stops ok.
    • Also check that the car doesn't overheat especially on short trips.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Might be due timing belt and/or water pump service. These are costly and will probably be close to the €500 you paid for it. If these have been done then happy motoring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭manchine

Thanks guys :)

I'll be asking her to see when it was last serviced and see about getting it checked out properly.
    The point about the timing belt etc... is well taken - thanks furtzy.

It's needed as a stricly A-to-B mobile - nothing fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,880 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Corsa 1.0 and 1.2 (Ecotec engine) have camchains not belts.

Dunno how common it was in 96, but most if not all Corsas from 98 on have electric power steering (1.0) or ordinary power steering.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If the engine is the same as the one used in the 95 Corsa, then changing the timing belt won't be that expensive. It's relatively easy to change. Not sure how much a waterpump is though, and if you're changing it, it would need to be done at the same time as the timing belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Torq

I'd say go for it! A €500 car is almost disposable, drive it till it dies then buy another one. I bought a '95 fiesta 1.1 for €475 with a month left on the nct, it then failed on the number plate lamp bulb. Replaced the bulb, passed the nct and in the 14 months since have put 12K miles up on it. Drinks oil, but has never let me down and is still worth what I paid for it.

So go on, buy the cheap car.
    Keep well,
    Torq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Could do a lot worse for €500! I'm driving a 99 corsa b, it's not bad at all.

Advertisement